GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Carbono intake oil leaking from PCV vent connection

Doommachine_

So I did a 3 hour trip the other day and at the end had several drops of oil on the ground. Looked at the top of the engine and the vent connection and exhaust heat shield had a lot of oil on it. I am aware that there will be oil coming through there normally.

Wondering if I should just try to seal it up better with a new o-ring and maybe RTV or if it possibly could have something actually to do with the PCV system. Car runs fine and no sucking from diaphragm port or around the PCV.

torga

Autocross Champion
I had that same thing happen with a BSH intake.
I solved it by installing a catch can and getting rid of that tube between the PCV and intake altogether haha

zrickety

The Fixer
The older APR intakes had carbon fiber there, the shape was not quite right for the fitting to clamp on. Mine didn't fit right but it didn't leak. I eventually swapped to IE.
The new APR ones have a billet fitting there, so I assume they were having the same issue.

Doommachine_

Yes I have the older version. Since it is snug at least I think I will clean all the oil residue off the tube and intake fitting and just use a little rtv to seal it better. Hopefully that will take care of it.

Doommachine_

Took a look under the car and its worse than I feared. Rear main seal is leaking fairly bad it looks like. Odd because I also see some wetting in a couple other places. Makes me wonder what caused the issue. PCV diaphragm hole is not sucking in air. I know there is another valve in that system but not sure if it could cause an over pressure in the case situation.

torga

Autocross Champion
Took a look under the car and its worse than I feared. Rear main seal is leaking fairly bad it looks like. Odd because I also see some wetting in a couple other places. Makes me wonder what caused the issue. PCV diaphragm hole is not sucking in air. I know there is another valve in that system but not sure if it could cause an over pressure in the case situation.
How can you tell the RMS is gone? Any photos?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

The PCV can fail in multiple ways. I think when the diapraghm fails under the cap it when then pull air through vent hole

Doommachine_

Oil at the engine to bell housing seal. lots of wetting in that area and a significant amount of oil blown back a couple feet under the car. If its pressurizing the crank case with boost I will have to bypass or replace the PCV so it doesn't get worse before I can deal with it. Car is ok to drive now but don't want to make it worse.

Best way to confirm PCV failed in a state that would leak boost into crank case?

I could not drive it while I order the 60 dollar PCV replacement then take stock of the leak state after the back pressure through the system is gone. I guess I hold out some hope that without the over pressure it may slow the rear main seal leak long enough for me to figure out my next move. Wish I wasn't disabled or this would be no big deal. Just a weekend in the garage but those days are gone.

Last edited:

Doommachine_

Replaced the PCV and both lines. Will do some driving and see how much it is leaking. Never had more than a few splatters or drops on the ground over night so far. Worst was after the 4 hour highway drive. only been a couple drops after that.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i had this happen years ago and replaced that breather hose. in a bind I used electrical tape to keep it attached.