GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Moving the ground won't cause any draw that wasn't' already there. Also, 10 minutes isn't long enough to let the alternator charge a battery that needed a jump. How old is your battery? Car batteries do not recover once the voltage drops too low, if you've had to jump it twice in a couple of days, then you need to have it tested, there's a very good chance that no matter how far you drive, the damage has been done.

pretty much the answer i expected. my mechanic also noted a long while ago that my alternator was knocking a bit or something. maybe that finally went too?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

A shot of the fusebox area, sans ratsnest of wiring from the p3 gauge

Here's where i relocated that grounding wire to. It's connected to metal by metal so i figured i'd be good. previously was mounted by the screw point right above where this is now, but that was removed when i installed the eurocubby.

My RNS 510 also seems to run a bit after i shut off the engine but i furred that's normal. but maybe im missing something that could be draining the battery? the radar detectors is fuse tapped to a fuse that is ignition switched. that cannot be the power draw unless the ground is bad? im not good with this wiring shit i guess.

DELETE

Autocross Champion

Here's where i relocated that grounding wire to. It's connected to metal by metal so i figured i'd be good. previously was mounted by the screw point right above where this is now, but that was removed when i installed the eurocubby.

My RNS 510 also seems to run a bit after i shut off the engine but i furred that's normal. but maybe im missing something that could be draining the battery? the radar detectors is fuse tapped to a fuse that is ignition switched. that cannot be the power draw unless the ground is bad? im not good with this wiring shit i guess.

If the ground works there then leave it but I would go under the plastic and that way it’s ring terminal touching metal and not just the screw. As long as the detector shuts off after the ignition is off you’re fine. Any led bulbs staying on or the switch on for any lights that may be drawing power even though no light is showing? I’m confused for you.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Hey ugly here is my rat nest. I ground to that bolt to the left as ur looking at it. Sorry I can't quote u fapatalk doesn't like this thread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion

That is an absolutely terrible ground. You need to ground to bare, paint free, metal. Plastic is a big no no. If you pop off the panel with the hood release (just below the interior fuse box) you'll see a good grounding point, there will be several wires coming from different areas grounded here. VW is grounding there, so you can be pretty confident that it's a solid ground to the battery. Just because an area has metal does not mean that metal has a good path to the chassis/battery.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
That is an absolutely terrible ground. You need to ground to bare, paint free, metal. Plastic is a big no no. If you pop off the panel with the hood release (just below the interior fuse box) you'll see a good grounding point, there will be several wires coming from different areas grounded here. VW is grounding there, so you can be pretty confident that it's a solid ground to the battery. Just because an area has metal does not mean that metal has a good path to the chassis/battery.

Facts.

Roctre

Ready to race!
Installed my 986 boxster calipers finally. Pedal feel is good and they look nice behind the wheels.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

really like the colour of those wheels....did they come that way or you painted.

calipers look good too but your rotors look so teeeenie tiny... gonna swap 'em?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Hey ugly here is my rat nest. I ground to that bolt to the left as ur looking at it. Sorry I can't quote u fapatalk doesn't like this thread.

Thanks for the feedback guys. ill try this tomorrow or Saturday when i have daylight and time to pull this apart again.

I may modify the ground wire looping point so i can fit it on another screw connection if the grounding wire doesnt reach. instead of an O it would be a fork, kinda. should work as long as its metal bracketing.

otherwise I'll probably look to buy a new battery unless i can think of something that would require my mechanic to chase a gremlin for me...

Roctre

Ready to race!
really like the colour of those wheels....did they come that way or you painted.

calipers look good too but your rotors look so teeeenie tiny... gonna swap 'em?

I had the wheels powder coated bronze chrome and the rotors are stock size and i'm just going to keep it this way for as long as I have the car. They also dont look to small with my summer wheels on since they're 17s.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Finished the work on my front bumper. The last couple weeks I installed a new grill, I painted the trim that goes around the honeycomb black, and I bought a new lip and had it painted black as well. I'm really happy with out it turned out, it looks awesome.

Nice! :thumbsup:

(this was yearsss ago, but) I had the Golf grille too, but then when I had my lower grille painted (CSG)....I had them black out the "stripes" on the GTI grille....it looks better IMO (matching the honeycomb on the bottom)

Pics here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173681&postcount=25

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'm trying to find out if I can use glass beads for carbon cleaning or is that too abrasive?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
chasing the electrical gremlin mentioned earlier. got codes, presumably from the battery issue. gonna clear and see what that does.