GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has your car been reliable? (2013 Edition)

Has your mk6 Golf experienced a major failure throughout its lifetime?

• No Issues. I am not modded.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • No Issues. I am modded.

Votes: 64 41.8%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am not modded.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am modded, but on a system unrelated to the failure.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am modded in a fashion that had an influence on the failure.

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
2013 GTI 4-door base trim, bought in Dec. 2012. No issues to date except for a rattling passenger side dashboard vent (which I fixed myself) and I had the windshield replaced shortly after delivery due to a haze between the laminate layers in front of the driver seat.

Not a major problem, IMO, and the dealer handled the windshield issue without any hesitation. Put me in a loaner for 2 days and put in new glass no questions asked.

Also, I'm modded, but not tuned (see link in sig to build thread for mods). Holding off on tuning for numerous reasons: the biggest reason being the weak factory clutch. Also concerned about higher boost levels causing more blow-by and PCV pressure resulting in more carbon buildup, and don't want to deal with warranty issues due to a TD1 code.

Last edited:

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Only issue I had was blown coil packs after my Stage 1 tune, which is pretty common. Upgraded to the red tops and haven't had an issue since.

dwagner88

Ready to race!
2012 base 6spd. No issues other than the misfire that ate cyl 4, requiring the new motor. Its a great car and that issue can happen to any make or model. Rare but possible. I consider my car very reliable. I get compliments here in Germany on the quality of the finish often.

LOL. Only on a VW forum will you find an owner who has blown a motor refer to his/her car as "reliable".
The MKVII sounds great on paper, but I don't think I will go for another VAG car. Hopefully Mazda knocks the next MS3 out of the park.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
LOL. Only on a VW forum will you find an owner who has blown a motor refer to his/her car as "reliable".
The MKVII sounds great on paper, but I don't think I will go for another VAG car. Hopefully Mazda knocks the next MS3 out of the park.

That had to be a joke :laugh:

rich337

Ready to race!
"my engine blew but my interior is amazing"

ok ok i'll stop.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
The MKVII sounds great on paper, but I don't think I will go for another VAG car. Hopefully Subaru knocks the next WRX out of the park.

FTFY

or Ford / Mustang

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
Manifold and waterpump are huge issues.

My crown vic is on it's original water pump with 310k miles... those parts shouldn't fail.

You also have a crown vic? With 310K miles?? Wow..

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

GHM73

Ready to race!
2012 6MT (bought in August 2011). Manifold is getting replaced now (at 42,500) after CEL and occasional rough idle.

Zero other issues with the car, it's been perfect otherwise.

WTF is with this manifold issue? Disappointed. Love the car, but I hope this is not indicative of problems to come or overall longevity. This is my 4th VW/Audi product. I've never had a manifold go bad on any car I've owned. I drive this car a lot and I need it to last. All of my other VW/Audis went well over 100k with no issues.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
WTF is with this manifold issue? Disappointed. Love the car, but I hope this is not indicative of problems to come or overall longevity. This is my 4th VW/Audi product. I've never had a manifold go bad on any car I've owned. I drive this car a lot and I need it to last. All of my other VW/Audis went well over 100k with no issues.

Emissions control equipment. VWs aren't the only cars with teething issues due to all of the new equipment being mandated on vehicles to improve emissions and fuel economy.

This is what you need: http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=437

jrokami13

Ready to race!
Bought a 2010 when they first dropped fall of 2009. Went stage 1 GIAC immediately then switched to APR and the full CAI Carbonio setup. No issues at 31K miles.

Last edited:

JayFine

Ready to race!
So revisiting this one.

I am not modded. at 13,XXX miles I had the common water pump failure. It's under warranty and I've been taken care of by VW and the guys at North Penn.

GHM73

Ready to race!

RudyTR

Ready to race!
These cars are very reliable IMO. I work for a company where we have four GTI's in the parking lot. 2 over 50k with 0 issues.

I have 26k and have 0 issues other than the DSG which the update fixed. No water pump or manifold issues with any of the GTI's here. I think most of the alot of people join the forum to complain. The survey shows most people have not had problems.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
2010 no issues