GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+ (KO4) - How Unitronic Fixed My Ongoing Issues

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
i must say I really wonder what was the main issue and how Uni's and APR's tune differs to cause the problem not to persist.

Too bad you couldn't test out REVO and GIAC too :p:p

Also to be really clear here -- Is this an OTS flash from Uni or were some tweaks made?

Also, roughly how many miles on the Uni tune so far?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just a word to all:

This is an independent review from Allset on his accounts of switching from APR to Unitronic. I ask everyone (Vendors included) to not make this a shit storm of a vendor fight. Unitronic and APR has a right to disclose their involvement with this issue. I think the more detail of the journey the better, that way we can effectively resolve the ROOTCAUSE of the issue.

We all know the issues that Allset was having and he found a solution was through Unitronic. I personally have taken a look at his logs wondering what the heck was going on, so I know his frustration through his journey.

So personally, based off of my involvement with Paul himself, what exactly was the root cause in the software?

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the Unitronic K04 Club!! It's only been a few weeks for me but I'm loving it :thumbsup:

Glad you're enjoying it too, Aubrey!

Now that I am "gone" and no longer even have a VW... I was offered Unitronic software basically free a long long time ago. I didnt take it. Now I wonder if my K04 experience would have been any different if I had. John is one of the best vendors here, hands down. Even when i railed shit after shit on him about product delays and stuff i was waiting to test, he never even once talked back to me or fought back. I couldnt believe how respectful he stayed no matter how annoyed I got with him. So bottom line, he is a top top vendor/person here, and was always willing to work with anything i needed, whether or not i accepted. I wish their intake had come out 2 months ago, because that was going to be my final GTI product review. Didn't work out..

Thanks for the kind words, Mark! It's been my pleasure! I'm just doing my job!

Also to be really clear here -- Is this an OTS flash from Uni or were some tweaks made?

Yes, Allset (Paul) is using a 100% OTS (off the shelf) production Stage 2+ (K04) file.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I really doubt Unitronic will give you the root cause of APR software. :iono:

Its the VAG scene. I 100% understand why they wouldn't/would. My thing is, if we're all "For the better of the community" the what the heck was it that caused so much frustration and angst with Paul's car? It could happen to anyone.

The more open we are as a community for sharing details and sharing technical information the better trusting we can be and the better we can understand our vehicles.

Knight

Ready to race!
I fully agree but i really doubt it when it comes down between two competitors, why would you share the secret. They can fix it which all that matters normally to the end users. :iono:

Its the VAG scene. I 100% understand why they wouldn't/would. My thing is, if we're all "For the better of the community" the what the heck was it that caused so much frustration and angst with Paul's car? It could happen to anyone.

The more open we are as a community for sharing details and sharing technical information the better trusting we can be and the better we can understand our vehicles.

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion
i must say I really wonder what was the main issue and how Uni's and APR's tune differs to cause the problem not to persist.

Too bad you couldn't test out REVO and GIAC too :p:p

Also, roughly how many miles on the Uni tune so far?

of the shelf, now. although i plan to tweak for meth later

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Just a word to all:

This is an independent review from Allset on his accounts of switching from APR to Unitronic. I ask everyone (Vendors included) to not make this a shit storm of a vendor fight. Unitronic and APR has a right to disclose their involvement with this issue. I think the more detail of the journey the better, that way we can effectively resolve the ROOTCAUSE of the issue.

We all know the issues that Allset was having and he found a solution was through Unitronic. I personally have taken a look at his logs wondering what the heck was going on, so I know his frustration through his journey.

So personally, based off of my involvement with Paul himself, what exactly was the root cause in the software?

:clap:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Just a word to all:

This is going way better than i expected,actually.

I have no idea why my ecu would not play nice with software before UNI. And quite frankly, at this point, i dont care if UNI cyber-fucked it with unicorn wang. It works, doesnt misfire, pull timing or anything.

i could have some fluke, who knows. Grambles was as baffled with my logs and issues as any shop i went to and he knows his shit.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
I have been considering going UNI for a while now. Wish there was a UNI dealer closer than 2-3 hours away. This thread makes me think of doing it even more lol. Have a local buddy here in dayton that will be switching from APR k04 to UNI soon and will make my decision after i see what i can do against the UNI tune with my current APR setup. Does UNI offer trial software on their stage 2+(k04) tunes? How about their DSG tunes?

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
I have been considering going UNI for a while now. Wish there was a UNI dealer closer than 2-3 hours away. This thread makes me think of doing it even more lol. Does UNI offer trial software on their stage 2+(k04) tunes? How about their DSG tunes?

yes 30day trial iirc, not sure abour dsg

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Does UNI offer trial software on their stage 2+(k04) tunes? How about their DSG tunes?

We do not offer trial software. We do offer a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you're not satisfied with our software, you can simply return to the Authorized Dealer within the first 30-days after installation for a refund on the software cost and a reflash back to OEM software.

In addition, we offer a $150 DSG Combo Discount that is available for clients to have both our ECU and DSG software installed at the same installation appointment. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
I had an issue with my APR K04 Tune. I had some weird boost surging problem, and all it took was to email Arin and he had something changed and I was back up and running 100%.

On another note, John at Unitronic is a cool dude.