GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front sway bar install

OnoGTI

Hello all,

I'm buying sway bars for my '13 GTI in next couple of weeks. I pretty mechanically inclined and have most if not all the tools to install them myself.

I know the front sway bar is much more work than the back since you need to drop the subframe down in order to get the stock one out. My question is:

If I cut sections of the stock sway bar while on the car to get it out without dropping the subframe, Can I install the aftermarket one in without the need to drop the subframe? Or in order to install it, the subframe still needs to drop down?

I don't care if the stock sway bar gets trashed if it avoids dropping the subframe.

Couldn't find the answer to this in the forums...

Thanks in advance! OC

papadubsack

Ready to race!
I am doing a front sway bar install tomorrow morning. You will need to lower the subframe about an inch, maybe more to slide the old one out and new one in. The good thing is, you don't drop the subframe completely while doing this. The shit part is, once you loosen those subframe bolts, you MUST replace them. I paid about $65 including shipping for all of the necessary bolts from ECS.

What sway bars are you getting?

OnoGTI

Got it...thanks man! I got the Eibach sway bar kit front and back. Front 26mm rear 23mm. I got the subframe bolts as well from ECS got to do it right if you gonna do it. I had an Eibach sway kit and springs an dampers on my old Jetta 1.8t and it handled like no tomorrow. I have Koni coils on my MK6.

How did your front sway bar install go and how long did it take you? What manufacturer did you go with?

zrickety

The Fixer
You don't necessarily need new bolts. Assuming you put everything in the same place, you can mark them with a paint pen before removal and tighten them to the same position.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
There's an actual special tool that will put the subframe back in the exact same place so you don't need an alignment

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
When I installed the front sway bar, I had to drop the subframe about an inch. I use to be a mechanic and although the install is not hard it can be very frustrating. I don't recommend installing tyrolsport collar kit because you won't be able to adjust the front camber once you do, unless your installing camber plates. Get an alignment once your done and make sure that the shop performing the work will equalize the camber in the front (done by shifting the subframe) otherwise you will see excessive inner tire wear.

OnoGTI

Ok thanks all for the info...but now I'm debating if I should install the front sway bar myself or take it to a shop that way they do the alignment. My concern is if I install it myself I will be replacing the subframe bolts with the ECS kit...then when I take my car for alignment if they need to shift the subframe to get the camber spot on they will need to loosen the bolts again thus needing to replace them again since you're suppose to replace every time you undo them? Or I can do the sway bar myself use the original bolts but when I take my car for alignment bring the ECS bolt kit with me so if the subframe needs shifting to get alignment correct they can replace the bolts right then?

I think this weekend I will have time to do this but just want to do it correctly and save me some headaches later.

OnoGTI

Finally installed the front sway bar and let me tell you it was a PITA!! Replaced the subframe bolts with the ECS kit. Double-checked that everything was installed properly and tighten to specs but now I have a clunking sound going over bumps at slow speed like in a parking lot over speed bumps and dips...Any suggestions to get rid of this?? Order the ECS spacer and bolt kit that replaces the rear two 18mm bolts(the black ones) gonna install them as soon As I get them. I've read it could be subframe shifting around but everything is tight.

The noise seems like it only happens going over bumps and dips at a slow speed but turning is fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated! The noise is extremely annoying and want to get rid of it. I have Koni coilovers with a moderate lowering setting. Noise was non existing with the coils until FSB install...

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, it's a PITA but now you're a front sway bar installation expert! :laugh:

Make sure your sway bar is centered on the subframe. If its not the endlinks could be rubbing against the inner lower fender plastics causing the clunks. (You'll notice this as the plastic will show wear.) If your sway bar is not rubbing.....see my suggestions I posted last week. :confused:

OnoGTI

Thanks man! I will check to see if the sway bar is centered on the subframe and if the endlinks are rubbing the fender liner. I will stall the ECS spacers and beefier bolt kit and see if it cures the symptom if not I will be getting the Tyrolsport bolt kit to tighten the subframe... Thanks again. :)

OnoGTI

Thanks all for your help, I installed the ECS spacer kit with the two beefier bolts that replace the black ones in the rear of the subframe and also lubed the bushings which I had forgotten to do with the supplied grease from Eibach. Torqued everything to spec and got an alignment done...all is nice and tight with no clunks/squeaks. It was fun driving my GTI stock but now with Koni coils and front/rear sway bars is a blast to drive...after going thru the hassle of removing the front sway bar(no fun is a PITA!) I was wondering if it was even worth it but let me tell you it totally was worth it. The car has a very neutral handling characteristic thru corners now and very stable on the freeway changing lanes. :)

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
When I installed the front sway bar, I had to drop the subframe about an inch.
I use to be a mechanic and although the install is not hard it can be very frustrating.
I don't recommend installing tyrolsport collar kit because you won't be able to
adjust the front camber once you do
, unless your installing camber plates.
Get an alignment once your done and make sure that the shop performing the
work will equalize the camber in the front (done by shifting the subframe)

otherwise you will see excessive inner tire wear.

true

:thumbsup: