GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

smanierre

Autocross Champion
You pull those off then install the below retaining strips onto the little knobbys underneath the gti panel, and then the side skirt slides onto the retaining strips.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/side-skirt-retaining-strip-left/1k0853543b/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/retaining-strip-passenger/1k0853544b/

Or you can skip all that and just use the screws and 3m tape. I feel better with the strips since I've seen my tape starting to come undone.
Wow those strips are expensive. Probably gonna do that though anyways. I had r32 skirts on my mk4 that started sagging and they looked so trashy. How firmly do the strips hold the sideskirts on?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Wow those strips are expensive. Probably gonna do that though anyways. I had r32 skirts on my mk4 that started sagging and they looked so trashy. How firmly do the strips hold the sideskirts on?

Enough that I'd feel confident not using tape with it. There might be a small gap near the ends or that kind of thing, but it's not going anywhere. The mk6 oem skirts are pretty rigid so they really shouldn't sag. It'll follow the line straight across, and I guess the strips might help that a little bit because of the way it supports the skirt.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Is the GTI hard on tires?

My Dunlop tires that came on the car when I purchased it have had the inside of the tire "blow" out on me, 2 tires now. The 2 tires that went flat where close to the wear bars and I don't think the previous owner rotated them regularly.

torga

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't be any harder on tires than any other standard car. Assuming your alignment is good, rotations are regular and you bought decent tires to begin with.
Assuming you're not hooning every other light, too :laugh:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't be any harder on tires than any other standard car. Assuming your alignment is good, rotations are regular and you bought decent tires to begin with.
Assuming you're not hooning every other light, too :laugh:

:) no hooning going on besides the occasional 2nd or 3rd gear pull (still on stock clutch). I have read about some cars "eating tires" as people put it. Everything feels good but I'll have the alignment checked.

The tires it has a some sort of Dunlop all season tire. I plan on getting either Potenza S-04 Pole Position , Extreme Contact Sport or Firehawk Indy's. Leaning toward the Potenza's at the moment.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So i'm really itching to drive my car, but still don't have the parts for the bumper yet. How bad is it to drive without a bumper cover on there? Obviously i'll disconnect and protect the fog/sidemarker cables but is there anything else there that would be sensitive? Only gonna drive it if it's dry out.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm probably just gonna say fuck it and send it. May take the foam off the crash bar if it isn't secured on there so it doesn't fly off or some shit

smanierre

Autocross Champion
T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶,̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ Whats ligma?!?!?!?

Ligma nuts lmao gottem.

Passed 3 cops on the way home and definitely saw them all staring oops.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
So i'm really itching to drive my car, but still don't have the parts for the bumper yet. How bad is it to drive without a bumper cover on there? Obviously i'll disconnect and protect the fog/sidemarker cables but is there anything else there that would be sensitive? Only gonna drive it if it's dry out.

I’m driving on expired tabs since November. Lol. Getting renewed this month tho. Car sat for so long didn’t matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So when the swaybar endlinks aren't properly adjusted, what is actually causing the clunking? I've adjusted them 3 times so far and when I hit certain types of bumps, only the right side makes a clunk, but I can't see any signs of anything hitting anywhere.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
So when the swaybar endlinks aren't properly adjusted, what is actually causing the clunking? I've adjusted them 3 times so far and when I hit certain types of bumps, only the right side makes a clunk, but I can't see any signs of anything hitting anywhere.

That’d be your subframe shifting.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That’d be your subframe shifting.

I'll take a look at all the bolts to make sure they are all tight but I already have the Tyrolsport collar kit so isn't that supposed to fix that?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Most endlinks use a ball socket, if the length isn't correct it will sit on an incorrect angle and cause a clunk when the ball pops out of the socket and then seats back into position.

torga

Autocross Champion
Ligma nuts lmao gottem.

Passed 3 cops on the way home and definitely saw them all staring oops.

Man, in NM that's totally normal. Cops don't even bat an eye at a car on the road driving after a massive side impact and 15deg of negative camber, driving 70 on the highway. I wish they would...
I once saw a dude on the highway after a front end impact with a crunched/peeled up hood. I was next to him and saw the hood wobbling a bit. Immediately backed off and sure enough, that shit flipped up and shattered his windshield. Almost totaled his car just pulling over to the shoulder. People here take "it'll buff out" to dangerous levels.