GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Cheated on Emissions Testing?

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
It's amazing how things just suddenly... change... when there's billions/trillions of tax revenue at play.

"At that time (1999), GISS US temperature data showed an 80+ year decline in US temperatures, with 1934, 1921 and 1931 being the three hottest years"

zipsled

Ready to race!
As far as the US is concerned, you're going to see a fine similar to what GM paid for the Cadillac scandal. Nobody died...just fudged numbers.
The hit in net worth taught VW more of a lesson than any fine the EPA or US gov would.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
As far as the US is concerned, you're going to see a fine similar to what GM paid for the Cadillac scandal. Nobody died...just fudged numbers.
The hit in net worth taught VW more of a lesson than any fine the EPA or US gov would.

The hit that VW took in the market will not last for ever. Look at BP after the spill in the Golf of Mexico. Buy VW shares, they are a good deal right now.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The hit that VW took in the market will not last for ever. Look at BP after the spill in the Golf of Mexico. Buy VW shares, they are a good deal right now.

They are shooting up right now as we speak. I was planning on picking some up but now I might wait.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Doesn't surprise me

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
Another interesting sideline to this whole scandal is the effect of the VW software changes on fuel economy. To anyone who has researched the TDIs, it was apparent that their fuel economy was much better than the official EPA estimates. I track my gas mileage through the fuelly.com website, which is used by thousands of VW owners. The reported fuel economies by TDI owners has been consistently higher than EPA ratings for many years. Often times, the opposite is true -- that is, car owners have trouble reaching the EPA estimates unless they drive like grannies. However, almost all TDI owners reported mileages better than expected. Another bit of evidence that VW was gaming the system.

BTW, my Golf 2.5 with the gasoline engine struggles to meet the EPA mpg ratings.

cobie56

Ready to race!
Volkswagen: CEO Martin Winterkorn Announces Resignation Amid US Emissions Scandal
"Above all, I am stunned that misconduct on such a scale was possible in the Volkswagen Group," he said in a statement, adding he was not aware of wrongdoing, but accepted responsibility for it.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Volkswagen: CEO Martin Winterkorn Announces Resignation Amid US Emissions Scandal
"Above all, I am stunned that misconduct on such a scale was possible in the Volkswagen Group," he said in a statement, adding he was not aware of wrongdoing, but accepted responsibility for it.

Sounds like a good guy to me. Think the most damaging thing about this is the negative press. But thats ok cause once its out of the news everyone will forget this ever happened.

In other news, VLKAY stock price is going back up today. 2 major days of loses is hopfully the last of it.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion

GM was fined 11 million in the 90's for doing the same thing. approximately the same amount of cars effected also.

here is a good article on companies doing workarounds for emissions.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...21/vw-alone-evading-emissions-rules/72599274/

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

I feel bad for him. This was not his wrongdoing. Seppuku comes to mind.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Also, fuck climate change denialism in particular. 68% of the Republican party believes it is happening. The pope believes humans contribute to climate change. 11 Republican congressman have signed a letter vowing to take action to stop climate change. Among Democrats and Independents it's not even worth mentioning where they stand

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Also, fuck climate change denialism in particular. 68% of the Republican party believes it is happening. The pope believes humans contribute to climate change. 11 Republican congressman have signed a letter vowing to take action to stop climate change. Among Democrats and Independents it's not even worth mentioning where they stand

I feel particularly bad for the morons who think that the real money is in pushing climate change as fact

Useful idiots

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I feel bad for him. This was not his wrongdoing. Seppuku comes to mind.

He made $15 million a year since 2007, and his contract expired Friday. The board of directors was having a meeting tonight to discuss his future. He saved them a few hours of discussion time.

He will be fine.