GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Disconnect Soundaktor

dudemanz

Ready to race!
I just finished disconnecting my Soundaktor and love the quiet in my car. I am a bit of an audiophile would rather hear my music clearly than an artificial engine noise. Before doing disconnecting it, I read the best threads and watched a good video by LastHumansGarage, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUbYVS3uEc&feature=related. The video is good but didn't give enough detail on a few steps. I'll fill that in here.

It'll probably take an hour to complete this if you prepare first.

1. Watch the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUbYVS3uEc&feature=related

2. Remove the styrofoam parts at each end of the cover under the wipers. Pull sideways on the part closest to the headlights. It is a cap over the end of the rubber molding. The rest pretty much falls out.

3. Remove the rubber molding that sits between the edge of the hood (when closed) and plastic cover. It slides right off when you pull it. Oddly enough, this molding and the styrofoam parts are all that keep the plastic cover from rattling like crazy. I don't think this part of the car is built to last.

4. Remove the windshield wipers. Pop the black cap off with a flat head screw driver. Use a wrench to remove the nut from the base of the wiper blade. Now comes the fun part. The blade sits on a tapered rod. It has been squeezed down on top of the rod by the nut. Remember this when you put the nut back on. Too tight and you'll regret it next time.

Wiggle the windshield wiper up and down until you can lift it off the rod. It took me a while to get one of them off.

5. Remove the plastic cover. it snaps on along the base of the windshield. Pull it up, take it off and get it out of the way. Here's a picture.

6. Unless you have very small hands, remove two nuts holding the windshield wiper bracket. The Soundaktor is connected to it. This will let you push it down and back so you get your arm in to pull out the connector.

7. From the driver's side, shine a flashlight under so you can see the connector coming into the back of the black circular part. That is the part that vibrates and ruins the tight bass in your stereo.

8. Remove the connector. Check out the picture below. You see the soundaktor and the connector that I have just pulled off. Get a long screw driver and push the light grey pin out to release the connector. Now pull the connector off with your hand if you can fit it in there. If not, call your son/daughter, girlfriend. Last resort is to use needle nose pliers to grab the connector and pull it off. It doesn't come off easy unless you can get a good hold of it.

9. This part is up to you. You need to secure the wire and connector so they don't rattle around and get dirty. Since I could barely get my hand in there so securing the connector with a tie or tape seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Instead, I wrapped the connector in plastic and stuffed it under the cable under the soundaktor. Just make sure it won't get wet and dirty and can't get in the way of the wiper assembly when it moves.

That's it. Putting it all back together is pretty easy. Make sure you don't tighten the wipers too much when you screw them back on.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
I was able to use a long common screwdriver to depress the lock and unplug the cable without removing anything other than the bit of insulation that holds the plastic top to the metal. I think it took about 10 min that way.

Nice DIY

dudemanz

Ready to race!
I was able to use a long common screwdriver to depress the lock and unplug the cable without removing anything other than the bit of insulation that holds the plastic top to the metal. I think it took about 10 min that way.

I had a hell of a time getting one of my wipers off and couldn't get the connector off the soundaktor until I could get a good grip on it. If everything goes smoothly, you probably could do it in 10 mins. Take another 10 to put everything back together.

dudemanz

Ready to race!

I had a hell of a time getting one of my wipers off and couldn't get the connector off the soundaktor until I could get a good grip on it. If everything goes smoothly, you probably could do it in 10 mins. Take another 10 to put everything back together.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Just unplug it. No need to pull the wipers! You may crack your windshield removing the wipers. Just reach under that plastic rain guard and pull out tab unplug and set the connector securely on a ledge in the rain guard.

P

plac

This is a thorough DIY. Some people will like to take the shortcuts thats up to them. To get the best room to work, and to tie it down properly, this DIY is the best way to do it. I tie my harness to the faint wire bundle you can see under the silver wiper bar in the last pic.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
i used a battery terminal removal tool to remove the passenger side wiper. i couldnt get the driver side wiper off. i ended up scratching the wiper cowl with the tool so i gave up.
*when i removed my ecu

dudemanz

Ready to race!
@TSI_mr.niceguy - there are no lights on the dash.

@MBorVW - I couldn't lift my plastic cover up enough to get under it without fear of cracking it. It is flimsy plastic and only a little edge is holding it to the windshield.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
It's a tight fit but if you're careful you can sneak your hand in there. If you have a monster hand it may be difficult. I'd just be super careful removing the wipers. I know a guy who cracked his windshield doing this. There's a how to video on YouTube for unplugging the Soundaktor.

MCPunk79

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually watched Video of this BEFORE I picked up my GTI... the soundaktor is quite a unique and interesting piece of equipment. How many automobiles use an apparatus like this to make a car's sound amplified? I remember back in the day hearing about that "turbo device" you would put into your exhaust or intake tube, and it give the FAKE impression that you have a turbo charger. In all honesty, why would VW need to create and install a "soundaktor?"