GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Disconnect Soundaktor

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
For all of the non-GTI driving noobs out there (aka, me) is the soundaktor some sorta' GTI accessory, of sorts, meant purely to make the engine sound meaner? Seems kinda' silly.

Adamse7en

Ready to race!
For all of the non-GTI driving noobs out there (aka, me) is the soundaktor some sorta' GTI accessory, of sorts, meant purely to make the engine sound meaner? Seems kinda' silly.

Yeah that's all it is. That's why some of us disconnect the stupid thing. I have a completely stock engine, for now, and even I can hear the turbo spooling more now that I disconnected it. You can read more here if you really want. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33595

quality_sound

hmm.......
I actually watched Video of this BEFORE I picked up my GTI... the soundaktor is quite a unique and interesting piece of equipment. How many automobiles use an apparatus like this to make a car's sound amplified? I remember back in the day hearing about that "turbo device" you would put into your exhaust or intake tube, and it give the FAKE impression that you have a turbo charger. In all honesty, why would VW need to create and install a "soundaktor?"

MINI does it as well.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
My soundaktor has been out for a while but I recently started thinking. What have you guys been doing about the cable. With rain coming soon I don't want some kind of short or perhaps for that wire to corrode. Did you guys put heatshrink over it?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
My soundaktor has been out for a while but I recently started thinking. What have you guys been doing about the cable. With rain coming soon I don't want some kind of short or perhaps for that wire to corrode. Did you guys put heatshrink over it?

You mean the wire and connector? Tape it off with electrical tape and secure it with a ziptie.

dudemanz

Ready to race!

I wrapped it in plastic wrap and shoved under something to hold it in place.

DSG-Farts

Passed Driver's Ed
I removed mine 6 months ago and love the quiet cabin and how much better the stereo sounds. Also, I can hear my exhaust and DSG farts better. However, my AC motor seems really loud, like it's under strain and dying. Has anyone else noticed an unusually loud AC motor or is my AC really dying?

jedred1

jedred1
Has any one heard of just filling the cable end with silicone caulking to keep the water out? I imagine it would be hard to undo.

Calvintran

Ready to race!
really 2.5 doesn't have it? sure sounds like my car does =/

if golf do have soundaktor.. what are the pros and cons?

I figured Pros: you can hear the rev so you can switch gear by ear?
cons: no noise, good for music

DavidLGTI

Ready to race!
My GTI has a dash rattle and vibration pretty bad. I am hoping it will go away by removing this. Thanks for the great post!

legandrex

Ready to race!
Disconnected it and not sure I like how quiet it is now. Harder to rev match downshift cause I can't hear it anymore. Wish I had some money because a slightly louder exhaust would be the perfect solution.

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
Maybe I just have skinny fingers but I was able to undo it with a 1/4" socket wrench with a 10mm short and deep socket. I just tucked the connecter under the the metal piece it hooks up to. Only took 10 minutes.

dmavilia

I took the advice of the online how-to video. just pulled back the rubber gasket holding the plastic piece down, lifted it up, reached my hand in there and disconnected the clip. It was a little tricky to figure out how to unclip it, but only took a minute or two.

What's most noticeable is the quieter cabin and purer engine sound. I was always a little annoyed by the artificial hum of the 'engine' on the highway... completely gone with the Soundaktor disconnected.

Definitely a worthwhile thing to do.