GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Disconnect Soundaktor

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I couldn't get my cowl all the way off when attempting to pull the plug on the soundaktor. The thing wouldn't budge. But I think I might have cracked the drain on the passenger side. Is the whole cowl one piece?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
You don't have to remove the rain tray...just slip a hand in there.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
You don't have to remove the rain tray...just slip a hand in there.

I tried but I couldn't get a good grip on the connector. I'm going to go out and try again. Hopefully the drain part can be fixed and I don't have to buy a new cowl.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
How exactly does that plug come off from the passenger side? It wouldn't give at all when I tried.

I wish I remember but it was almost a year ago. And my car is in the body shop right now.

What I used was a 24" long std screwdriver to depress the locking tab and slide the plug off the connector. I was simply holding the rain tray up a bit to be able to see what I was doing.

Sorry thats not much help.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I got it. I ended up lifting the cowl on the driver side and unplugging it there. I honestly don't notice much of a difference with it unplugged. :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

lon888

Ready to race!
I wanted to remove my soundaktor but got frustrated when my hands and arms couldn't fit in the space to remove it. So I removed the 2 10mm bolts that retain the bracket to the body, in addition I removed the T30 bolt on right end of the bracket. This completely frees up the device so removal then becomes a snap. Don't worry about removing the T30 bolt, it screws directly onto the bracket so theres no nut to come loose.

JasonC1

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, so I just finished doing this. Removed the wipers and cowl and still couldn't get to it. I had to have my daughter unplug it.:laugh:

Anyway I just thought I would add this to the conversation just in case anyone has the same problem I did. The wipers and sprayer will not work unless the hood is completely closed. After putting it all back together and lightly closing the hood I tried testing the wipers and nothing happened. Checked all the fuses and then took it all back apart trying to figure out what went wrong. Then it dawned on me that the hood was never fully closed when I tested it. Closed the hood all the way and presto, wipers work again. Doh!
So now it's done and everything is working fine. Moral of the story, you need to be smarter than the car.;)

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
So I just went to do this during my ECU flash, and noticed that it's not plugged into anything...

There is no tube leading into the passenger cabin, and the hole is plugged. Wtf?

sent from mobile

Last edited:

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
I did similar. Used a long screwdriver to slip in there and pop the plug off the box. That was 2 years ago give or take.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion