GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R LED Tail Lights

Grtbear

Plug and play, no recoding required.

Where exactly did you get your PnP one? It's rather confusing because some sites sell them but you need to do some extra wiring/VAG-COM work to make them work (like the ones sold on ECS Tuning).. Yet some other ones I've seen claim to be PnP.. and there are also ones (like the set sold on TM Tuning) where they also have install kits/wiring harnesses to make it PnP (Sorta)...

Any way to tell whether it's PnP or not? Can anyone verify if the OEM ones you'd get through VW in North America are PnP too?

ZIPN VW

Ready to race!
Plug and play really depends on your car and whether you got a "Rear Fog" or "Non Rear Fog". The Rear Fog kit will require more work. If you car is older (Don't know the exact date), then you will need VAG-COM or the TMT coding Box (does the same thing). The easiest install will be a "Non Rear Fog" kit for a newer car. That wold be Plug and Play. My Jan 2010 car has the "Rear Fog" kit that need no coding, but I had to run a new wire from my euro switch, then I had to rewire my drivers reverse wire so that it would send the rear fog the power it needs to work.

Easy Install: Non Rear Fog
Harder Install: Rear Fog

Coding: Depends on age of car.

Grtbear

Thanks.. I notice you're in Sauga.. Did you do the install yourself? And where exactly did you get your lights from?

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i'm planning to get the ones with the rear fog too; my car build date says 10/09; which i got 2 mos ago. does anyone have an idea if it still needs coding? thanks!

Orient Express

Ready to race!
Where exactly did you get your PnP one?

It is not the lights that determine if the lights are PnP for your car, it is the Central Electrics Controller (Module 09)

If you have a controller that has the same or newer releases as mine, then it is PnP, earlier versions you will probably need to reset byte 18 in the controller via VAG COM.

Here are the details about the Module 09 controller in my car:

----Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 G HW: 1K0 937 087 G
Component: BCM PQ35 H+ 103 0574
Revision: 00103 AF
Coding: 6F180A3E90252AC48008008174008D0445050086435D8D60648020200000
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
Part No: 1K1 955 119 F
Component: Wischer 08011 21 0512
Coding: 009795

Here are the P/Ns of the lighting assemblies:
5K0945095L
5K0945096L
5K0945094R
5K0945093S

The parts did need the wiring connector adapters available from KUFATEC.

Here is the result:

ZIPN VW

Ready to race!
Thanks.. I notice you're in Sauga.. Did you do the install yourself? And where exactly did you get your lights from?

I sourced my lights and adapters from a online vendor in Germany. I did the install by myself.

I picture taken at night.

Last edited:

GTI-guy

Guys they aren't plug and play u have to get a converter to work and use a code box to work these LED's with ur ECU otherwise if one LED is not working ur ECU won't be able to identify it or won't give u any error.

I had them installed on my MK6 last night and they're working just fine :)

woofie2

Ready to race!
Guys they aren't plug and play u have to get a converter to work and use a code box to work these LED's with ur ECU otherwise if one LED is not working ur ECU won't be able to identify it or won't give u any error.

I had them installed on my MK6 last night and they're working just fine :)

The fixtures alone are not Plug-n-Play, but with wiring adapters they are plug in and go. This is if your car was made after week 45 2009, (after November 2009) the newer cars use a newer CCM which does not require recoding for LED tails.
MKVI Cars Older than November 2009 (built before then) have the older CCM that needs recoded by Vag-com or other method to enable the LED lights.

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. So my GTI made in March 2010 will be fine, all I need are wiring adaptors?

Orient Express

Ready to race!
Late breaking news on the coding, If you do nothing do not have the rear fog light and leave Byte 18 at 00, you should be fine, but if you have changed any of the byte 18 coding, even if you set it back to 00, you may have an issue with the front bumper marker lights and the parking lights being set to 50% brightness. If that is the case, then you will need to set Byte 18 to 43 (decimal) to make everything OK.

livid2

Passed Driver's Ed
Late breaking news on the coding, If you do nothing do not have the rear fog light and leave Byte 18 at 00, you should be fine, but if you have changed any of the byte 18 coding, even if you set it back to 00, you may have an issue with the front bumper marker lights and the parking lights being set to 50% brightness. If that is the case, then you will need to set Byte 18 to 43 (decimal) to make everything OK.

Quick question:

If you have a just built Golf that has factory rear fogs and then you install LED tails WITH fogs, will this still require coding?

If you do require coding for rear fogs, is it to make them work or to remove the bulb out warning?

My reason for asking is that I want to order some LED tails with rear fogs (because i think my car will have factory rear fogs) but if the rear fogs dont work, I dont realy care, I just dont want a bulb out warning.

Hope that makes sense

Orient Express

Ready to race!
If you have a just built Golf that has factory rear fogs and then you install LED tails WITH fogs, will this still require coding?

Yes, you will still need to change the coding, primarily to disable the bulb-out warnings for the stop and tail light function.

If you do require coding for rear fogs, is it to make them work or to remove the bulb out warning?

If your car is already wired for rear fogs, then it is just to disable the bulb out warning.

livid2

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, you will still need to change the coding, primarily to disable the bulb-out warnings for the stop and tail light function.

If your car is already wired for rear fogs, then it is just to disable the bulb out warning.

Thanks Orient Express. So, if my car is already wired for rear fogs and I install LEDs that do not have rear fogs, will it still need coding for the bulb out warning? (I think I know the answer but I have to ask to make sure)

Orient Express

Ready to race!
Thanks Orient Express. So, if my car is already wired for rear fogs and I install LEDs that do not have rear fogs, will it still need coding for the bulb out warning? (I think I know the answer but I have to ask to make sure)

The answer is yes, but ordering the correct inside light assembly that has a rear fog LED installed is not any more difficult than getting one that has a reverse light in it. You just need to specify LHD or RHD and that you need an assembly with a fog light in it.

Flaminghomer

Passed Driver's Ed
Sooo i've been lurking a bit and decided to register today as i have a few questions...

I've been trying to get some info on if these LED lights will work with a golf 2.5 that was made in jan/2010, but it seems that most info is about gti's.

If i were to order a set of lights without fogs and the wire adapters, would this be good enough for it to work or will i need a VAG-COM?

From what i've read, it sounds like cars made after nov/2009 should be good and the lights will be PnP, but again its all gti's and i'm not sure if it would be different for a golf 2.5...

Last edited: