GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Hella Functional (Part Deux)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just going back to stage 1. Plus someone can use the APR IC to its full potential

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Soooooooooooooooooo

Just installed new DV. Old DV fell apart when I took it out. The spring shot out and the plunger just rolled on the floor. Still held boost great, but why the hell would it do that? It fell apart when I swapped it from the K04 but it snapped back in. Now it doesn't even snap in.

Oh well. Might be something people need to keep their eye on.

This brings me to my resolve with the exhaust noise. Upon my searching under the vehicle there were no signs of exhaust leaks anywhere. So immaculate I started to question if I had dropped something in the down pipe itself and was planning to take it off.

As I touched my way around up the skirt of my car, sure enough I came across a loose entity. The CBFA plug for the APR down pipe. It was as loose as it could be. Which leads me to believe that with the expansion of the metal during heat, that the plug will loosen itself on the threads and eventually cause a leak, but can rattle itself tight again. Just a theory, but explains the intermittency.

I tightened it hard up and took it for one of the hardest drives I think I've ever done down my special road. As I was coming back I downshifted and coasted. This was prime time for it to make a hissing sound and it never did. A few more and I judged it as an OK condition. Finally...............

Car is quieter now. Holds boost great. Next is taking off the bushings, IC and sways and putting the Golf R IC and XB on to conclude my journey.

McQueen77

Banned
Hey Z. I've got this VWR filter lying around taking up space. You want?

Yeah. Unless there's a dry option?

the VWR is dry i believe.. i highly recommend the aFe that i run. its dry. i recently cleaned it after about 7500 miles of use on and off.. was pretty dirty. soap, water, air dry, done.. no oil, no nothing..

but you can't argue with free... the VWR is pretty expensive for a drop-in too.. isn't that the one you ran during your intake tests/logs?

A_Bowers

the VWR is dry i believe.. i highly recommend the aFe that i run. its dry. i recently cleaned it after about 7500 miles of use on and off.. was pretty dirty. soap, water, air dry, done.. no oil, no nothing..

but you can't argue with free... the VWR is pretty expensive for a drop-in too.. isn't that the one you ran during your intake tests/logs?

Yep. Mine actually. It's got 3 layers of different density foam.

McQueen77

Banned
id take that one G.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yeah ill go ahead and snag that drop in Bowers.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Bushings are off. Nvh went down pretty substantially. Mostly road noise and the sharp thunks that made that knocking noise up front. It's given that that all went away seeing as thought its rubber and not metal.

However, a lot of pedal feel went away. With the Stoptech pads its still a substantial upgrade, but there is an introduced numbness now in the pedal. :) ill write this off seeing as though there is end in sight for my vehicle, but I highly suggest this mod for anyone.

McQueen77

Banned
Bushings are off. Nvh went down pretty substantially. Mostly road noise and the sharp thunks that made that knocking noise up front. It's given that that all went away seeing as thought its rubber and not metal.

However, a lot of pedal feel went away. With the Stoptech pads its still a substantial upgrade, but there is an introduced numbness now in the pedal. :) ill write this off seeing as though there is end in sight for my vehicle, but I highly suggest this mod for anyone.

haven't fully followed - what car you plan on getting after this one? you came to mind the other day as i was driving next to a new honda accord sport on the freeway.. honda did a superb job w/the redesign, at least with the sport model anyway.. thing looks like an A4 from certain angles.. i would drive that car, and i swore to never return to hondas.. i mean, in all reality, i probably never will, but that is a nice ride. i bet the 6 speed in it is ridiculously good.. too bad youd have to special order it..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
haven't fully followed - what car you plan on getting after this one? you came to mind the other day as i was driving next to a new honda accord sport on the freeway.. honda did a superb job w/the redesign, at least with the sport model anyway.. thing looks like an A4 from certain angles.. i would drive that car, and i swore to never return to hondas.. i mean, in all reality, i probably never will, but that is a nice ride. i bet the 6 speed in it is ridiculously good.. too bad youd have to special order it..

I'm glad someone can see our efforts at attempting to turn around. I do agree, the new Accord is quite the real deal.

The 6speed sport is truly awesome and the V6 coupe is amazing.

My next car cannot be named at this time, but it WILL be a Honda. I have a few Acuras on my mind, but this one is worth the wait :)