GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Outlines MKVII Golf/GTI/GTD(?) Timeline

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Nice lil bump in power, nice lil drop in weight = a decent advantage over the current gen.

Maybe no longer a need to tune :iono: as out of the box performance should be sufficient for most.

Halvie

WOOSA
"At the Paris motor show on 27 September, Volkswagen plans to preview the new Golf GTi. It receives a new 222bhp version of the Audi developed EA888 turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder direct injection petrol engine."

well, there you go.... all the rumors of 260hp GTi?? :lol:

I reserve judgement until further notice, considering the source.....

told you guys it would be 220...

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
220 hp coupled with a 220 lb drop in weight out of the box is not bad, that will feel a lot quicker than the stock GTI now.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Also included is an electronic differential lock (as previously found on the Golf GTi), adaptive cruise control with a emergency braking function at speed up to 30km/h, lane assist, fatigue detection, traffic sign detection.

Customers will also be able to order the new Golf with the latest generation of automatic parking systems, including OPS (overhead parking system), which uses a 360 degree graphic.

So I'm guessing top-level trims will force all this useless stuff on us at a cost of about $3,000-$4,000.

This is what turned me off the new Fusion. I don't want any of this shit.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
So I'm guessing top-level trims will force all this useless stuff on us at a cost of about $3,000-$4,000.

This is what turned me off the new Fusion. I don't want any of this shit.

Keep in mind what you are is EU spec data/equipment. The Golf/GTI currently has a ton of available options that we do not get in the US.

No need to be turned off by features until we see US spec'd Golf/GTI models. Who knows what we may or may not get here.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
my math is shi*tty..... so %23 "lower" fuel CONSUMPTION....

what do you think, we looking at 40mpg out of the box???

CFG9000

Ready to race!
No way the GTI sees that sort of improvement, especially in the real world. Maybe 35-36.

QUEDRO

Ready to race!
so if it's the Audi's EA888 with 222 HP than isn't this the A4's Valvle Lifting thechnology 2.0T engine? If yes, that's awesome. It's more torquey and it actually feels the same as the Stage 1 mk6.
My friend's A4 with valve lift stock pulls very nice.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
23% less consumption than 31 mpg would indeed be 40 mpg. If it really does that I will be quite impressed.

It won't. That % is probably for some other golf model.

QUEDRO

Ready to race!
It won't. That % is probably for some other golf model.

Yes, I think this is refered to regular golf which is losing the 2.5 and instead the new 1.4 TSI will provide the numbers above.
The new jetta and passat also will be losing the 2.5

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
so if it's the Audi's EA888 with 222 HP than isn't this the A4's Valvle Lifting thechnology 2.0T engine? If yes, that's awesome. It's more torquey and it actually feels the same as the Stage 1 mk6.
My friend's A4 with valve lift stock pulls very nice.

Valve Lift is better STOCK, but not tuned, and I have no idea why. I posted this in Gunkata's A3 build thread also. Below are 2 graphs that I have hacked together using APR's graphs without their permission (sorry!). I've done an overlay of the 2.0 TSI in our GTI's with the Audi Valve-Lift TFSI using pixel measurements and image stretching to accomplish accuracy since APR doesn't use the same increments on any 2 graphs. They should be VERY close. One of them is a stage 2 comparison, and one is K04.

Starting with stage 2, our TSI pretty much kills it across the board. The difference is huge past about 3100 RPM.

This is K04, which is interesting. APR does not show the very low torque of the TSI, nor the high end of the Audi Valve-Lift TFSI. I won't make any assumptions about what's not shown due to that. But, the Audi Valve-Lift motor produces more torque until 3100 RPM, and then the TSI spanks it. If you look at HP past about 3300 RPM, the TSI also spanks it pretty good. At 6250 RPM, the TSI is producing nearly 60 hp more.

In stock form, Valve-Lift basically produces a bunch more torque down low, and un-tuned definitely has an advantage. With quattro and launch control, this really helps out the 0-60 times in the Audi line. Just look at the base TT 0-60 of 5.3 as an example (based on Audi's claims on their website).

When tuned however, the TSI in our GTI's have a huge advantage. I don't get why this is. Why don't the valve-lift motors keep up after just 3100 RPM? :iono:

Also, if they do put Valve-Lift in the GTI, it may not be the same and might be more responsive to tuning. Who knows...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I think this is refered to regular golf which is losing the 2.5 and instead the new 1.4 TSI will provide the numbers above.
The new jetta and passat also will be losing the 2.5

I think the golf/passat/jetta will get the down-tuned 1.8? no?

1.4 is awfully small.