GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY footwell light install guide

super steve

Ready to race!
Here is my short and brief guide on how to change out the bulbs.

You can pull the light boxes out, without the use of a screw driver.
The lights have an indentation on the right side (both driver and passenger side lights have the indentation on your right when facing them from the seats) You can put your finger nail in the indentation and pull it down and they fall out. you have to push in the sides of the connector to disconnect the light box. You have to use some force to get the box out, but disconnecting the light box plug is VERY easy to do.

All you gotta do after you get the metal box out is remove to metal part held by 4 tabs. you will see what i mean when you take it out and its very easy with a flat screw driver

Metal Box

picture showing the tabs

What the box looks like with out the cover

Install the bulb

Then connect the connector and snap it back in place

Final view of the footwell

Sorry about the bad iphone picture quality

siagolf

Ready to race!
you are the light man! thanks for this, and the fog-light DIY! for the footwell bulbs, is there a specific size, voltage etc. that's required? and did you use LED's?

super steve

Ready to race!
bulb size is w5w, i think its known as '194' as well
I used LED bulbs, and they were only 8 dollars a pair. You can find them cheaper online but I am not sure how much shipping would be.

The footwell lights will not throw off bulb out warning, so you can use almost any type of LED bulbs in w5w bulb size.

If it bulges out too much on the end (too fat on the bulb part, not the connector end) it may not fit, so make sure they are not too fat (some LED ones have bigger heads due to heatsinks and such)

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Great guide- just used it and SUCCESS!! Tip on the actual bulb removal from the plastic-use a credt card to wedge on the back of the bulb between the metal tab and the bulb and it pops right out effortlessly.

panthrax

Passed Driver's Ed
this came very useful when I did it. ace! the leds now glow every time i drive with the lights on, now I cant remember if thats normal or not!?? is there not a way to switch it off after X seconds?

tdi-mk6

Diesel it is!
this came very useful when I did it. ace! the leds now glow every time i drive with the lights on, now I cant remember if thats normal or not!?? is there not a way to switch it off after X seconds?

Yes, they indeed stay on and, yes, you can change that. Just browse through the Setting Display on your dashboard: light & vision; footwell on/off

lawgdawg

Ready to race!

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I am going to do this! thanks for the guide!

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I didnt have this guide and broke my housing.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Just did mine!! Thanks for the guide!! Now I just need the rest of the interior lights to match. Anybody have a guide for that?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion