GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sold GTI. Help me pick next car.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
The coupe sounds amazing stock. The sedan, not so much. They tame it down a lot. Get high flow cats and Ark exhaust, that thing sounds sick. Don't expect to get any more power out of the car though. Coils + Wheels + other costmetic mods. That's all you need.

There actually is a decent tune for the G's. UPREV is the company. Wont give as big of a gain compared to the 2.0t....but they claim something like 25hp?? Add dual intakes, high flow cats or test pipes, and exhaust and you can actually bump up the power a bit on the G's. Just from what I have read

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Here's my take on it.

You get a good "all around car" ie power, awd, somewhat fun.

Or

Performance only

Or utility only

You don't seem to be satisfied quite easily you've had the FJ and short of a Jk rubi you can't really get any more utility. You sold it

You got the gti somewhat performance/economy/practicality

You need to test drive every car you even think about take a few days to think it over and break it down.

If I where in your shoes I'd probably opt for a newer Used STI.

And on the A4/G note you'll be bored in a week so I wouldn't even bother.

GTI-Joonster

Ready to race!
Why limit to just two. If you are looking at used cars here are cars i like: TL type S, 335 coupe, Cayman S. or get a brand new v6 accord for $25000

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Handling/ steering feel
MPG
Quattro (well, the G is awd too, but still)
Tunable

Hmmm, the G37 will out handle a A4 any day of the week. It's a 350z under that sheet metal.

MPG isn't bad, he can get 20-21 daily in city mix.

The 3.7L engine in that G37 is very tuneable. Intake, Exhaust, downpipes and tune will yield around 50 hp gained to the wheels.

My 3.5 HR gained 38 hp to the wheels from those mods and the 3.7 gains a lot more from the dynos on g35driver.com.

Last edited:

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
There actually is a decent tune for the G's. UPREV is the company. Wont give as big of a gain compared to the 2.0t....but they claim something like 25hp?? Add dual intakes, high flow cats or test pipes, and exhaust and you can actually bump up the power a bit on the G's. Just from what I have read

Yup, Uprev is the best tune out there right now for the G. You will have a lil more gains from bolt-ons but it's so minimal so I don't think it's worth it. At least not to me. Most people just simply buy intakes, hfc and exhaust for sound purpose and don't give shit about tuning it. With the minimal gain, they rather spend that money on baller wheels and coils and call it a day. Only some die-hard performance oriented folks will spend spend money on tune or going FI.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Unless its an S i would pass on the a4, nice but boring.

vq engines love to eat gas and oil to the point of lemmon law.

I would find a pre owned Hyundai genesis sedan tech package, same price range and alot more car, if you get a cpo you get the 100k pt warranty

Not true. The HR and the 3.7 L (forget the abbreviation of it), do not eat oil like the REV-UP engines in the earlier 3.5s.

I have owned Nissan/Infiniti's most of my life so I have a lot of experience with all their engines. I also owned two G35s and a 350z.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Yup, Uprev is the best tune out there right now for the G. You will have a lil more gains from bolt-ons but it's so minimal so I don't think it's worth it. At least not to me. Most people just simply buy intakes, hfc and exhaust for sound purpose and don't give shit about tuning it. With the minimal gain, they rather spend that money on baller wheels and coils and call it a day. Only some die-hard performance oriented folks will spend spend money on tune or going FI.

Bad info man......they do gain a lot. It's the earlier VQ35DE that didn't gain squat from mods or tune. The newer HR engine and the 3.7 gain a lot.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Not true. The HR and the 3.7 L (forget the abbreviation of it), do not eat oil like the REV-UP engines in the earlier 3.5s.

I have owned Nissan/Infiniti's most of my life so I have a lot of experience with all their engines. I also owned two G35s and a 350z.

LOL, It's the VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift). It's funny how some people who don't know much about the car and never owned one keeps making negative comments about it.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Bad info man......they do gain a lot. It's the earlier VQ35DE that didn't gain squat from mods or tune. The newer HR engine and the 3.7 gain a lot.

A lot as of a lot more than the old VQ35DE, but not a lot a lot like the GTI or other turbo cars. But hey, can't ask for too much from a N/A engine. :)

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
A lot as of a lot more than the old VQ35DE, but not a lot a lot like the GTI or other turbo cars. But hey, can't ask for too much from a N/A engine. :)

40-50 rwhp gain on a NA engine is a large amount and is great. :) I wouldn't call that not worth it!

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
LOL, It's the VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift). It's funny how some people who don't know much about the car and never owned one keeps making negative comments about it.

I agree. It's a great car and I would own one again.

StayStetti

Banned
Sorry, am I the only one that thinks that the stock exhaust on all the infinity cars/crossovers sounds like a fake attempt at a riced out exhaust? seriously, it sounds so fake it's ridiculous.

Anyways, I wouldn't go with either of the choices. I'd probably go for a 3 series coupe for that price.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
agreed.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, am I the only one that thinks that the stock exhaust on all the infinity cars/crossovers sounds like a fake attempt at a riced out exhaust? seriously, it sounds so fake it's ridiculous.

Anyways, I wouldn't go with either of the choices. I'd probably go for a 3 series coupe for that price.

Is it as fake as the Soundaktor? noisepipes or some other noise maker device?:laugh: Now THAT'S fake.

I do agree about the 3-series though :).