GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Understanding: Intakes: Stock vs. Drop In vs. Aftermarket

A_Bowers

They have to use OEM ECU not necessarily OEM software I don't think, however they are limited by the amount of boost they can run. Pretty sure that's how it works.

According to one of the technicians at APR ( I asked while I was down there) they said that OEM software/ meaning no tune was required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
They have to use OEM ECU not necessarily OEM software I don't think, however they are limited by the amount of boost they can run. Pretty sure that's how it works.

That says 1930 mbar MAX. Wouldn't that come out to ~28psi?

A_Bowers

Still - even stock software on a 2700 lb vehicle would be pretty freaking awesome.

Agreed! Weightloss on daily driver becauseracecar

A_Bowers

That says 1930 mbar MAX. Wouldn't that come out to ~28psi?

Keep in mind atmosphere is usually at 14.7. So. 28 - 14.7 = 13.3 psi. Should be right at stock.

I think that is how total boost is calculated. It's over atmospheric pressure e

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Keep in mind atmosphere is usually at 14.7. So. 28 - 14.7 = 13.3 psi. Should be right at stock.

I think that is how total boost is calculated. It's over atmospheric pressure e

Good call. Brain fart.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Forgot to put this in here:

Attachments

• Shroud vs. No Shroud.JPG
    Shroud vs. No Shroud.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 864

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
It just shows nothing really happened.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
It just shows nothing really happened.

What do you mean, The carbon fiber shroud performed greater?

I'm assuming this was just a quick run, run to the garage take off shroud and do another run. I would imagine the delta would increase with time increasing.

I'm glad you did this run as there are rumors that the carbon fiber shroud poses a restriction. If you're showing an increase with the shroud on a balls deep K04 set up I sincerely doubt it's going to magically be DOWN 20 g/s when going up to a stage 3+ car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

I'm assuming this was just a quick run, run to the garage take off shroud and do another run. I would imagine the delta would increase with time increasing.

I'm glad you did this run as there are rumors that the carbon fiber shroud poses a restriction. If you're showing an increase with the shroud on a balls deep K04 set up I sincerely doubt it's going to magically be DOWN 20 g/s when going up to a stage 3+ car.

I guess I meant to say that nothing really out of the ordinary happened. We KNEW what was expected. We KNEW the carbonio with the shroud is better. But, Correct, the carbon fiber shroud proved to be the better flowing candidate and also showed better characteristics at higher RPMs (Cooling and funneled flow).

As for the other claims, I choose to keep to my mouth shut about them.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I guess I meant to say that nothing really out of the ordinary happened. We KNEW what was expected. We KNEW the carbonio with the shroud is better. But, Correct, the carbon fiber shroud proved to be the better flowing candidate and also showed better characteristics at higher RPMs (Cooling and funneled flow).

Yeah, that was a good idea on your part. I need to be able to do the same.

McQueen77

Banned

Grambles, I think you are the man for the job re: my suggestion of the Carbonio carbon fiber shroud insulation mod. Something tells me that if someone came up with a viable and reliable way to do this that a bunch of us would be repurchasing those carbonios again.. some would say, why not just get the modshack? but it seems after reading over lots of comparos etc. that the carbonio has the performance edge, so if it could be made quieter, it could be the best of all worlds.

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

I'm not really sure how you explain this then, Again not my logs. This is by another member member I will see if he is willing to confirm. I do not know temperature or what gear these were in.