GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

zrickety

The Fixer
You may have sucked some plastic into the head. Here is a pic of my old manifold, it was missing a huge chunk that I think stayed in the motor until it disintegrated.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
would make sense i guess.. .if i recall correctly.. it was within a week or so after i did the chains/guides when flap went and I got the code. It's my third manifold so I'm sure some of that Shite is in there somewhere.

KFahey

Ready to race!

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity, i was watching humblemechanic new video about using VCDS. he mentioned something that people overlook on there after they replaced their timing chain which is inside basic setting " Timing chain elongation: reset after chain replacement"

have any of you guys did this procedure? I had mine replaced by the dealer not sure if this was done or not.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Out of curiosity, i was watching humblemechanic new video about using VCDS. he mentioned something that people overlook on there after they replaced their timing chain which is inside basic setting " Timing chain elongation: reset after chain replacement"

have any of you guys did this procedure? I had mine replaced by the dealer not sure if this was done or not.

Never heard of it, never heard of anyone doing this on a gen 1 tsi. In the video it looks like hes hooked up to Gen 3 MQB TSI engine. As far as I know nothing like this is required after doing the chain and ive done the chain on mine.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Never heard of it, never heard of anyone doing this on a gen 1 tsi. In the video it looks like hes hooked up to Gen 3 MQB TSI engine. As far as I know nothing like this is required after doing the chain and ive done the chain on mine.

Yes he has a mk7.5 R now. thanks for clearing that up! i actually dont own VCDS but im looking to pick one up and retire the OBD11 .

UberFast

Ready to race!
Hey what's yalls thoughts on the ultimate timing chain kit assembled by ecs? Its half the price of the vw/Audi kit. They use mostly Bremmen brand parts in that kit. Is that a reliable brand? I dont know anything about them. Who makes the chains and tensioners for VW?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hey what's yalls thoughts on the ultimate timing chain kit assembled by ecs? Its half the price of the vw/Audi kit. They use mostly Bremmen brand parts in that kit. Is that a reliable brand? I dont know anything about them. Who makes the chains and tensioners for VW?

Bremmen parts are rebranded aftermarket Chinese stuff sold by ECS. That's why they are so cheap. I would highly recommend getting the OEM chain. tensioner and guides. People have had aftermarket chinese tensioners and cam bridge failures causing a lot of damage...

zrickety

The Fixer
I think some Bremmen parts are made in Germany. I can't say all of them.
I pieced my kit together, new OEM tensioner, new lower cover, upper gasket, Febi chain. Reused hardware with blue loctite, except the crank bolt that was new. If you're careful and cheap, you could reuse everything including the cover and gaskets. My rails were in good shape so I reused them, except the top one I broke when removing.
Whatever you do, don't buy the kit from partsgeek. That is straight China garbage.

foxbyt3

The timing chain rattle sound just started on my 2012 GTI yesterday. I've been reading through this thread and others like it but one thing I haven't found an answer for is, is it safe to drive the car?

I'm going to contact my shop ASAP and get the car in immediately, but in the mean time I want to be sure i'm okay to drive per usual.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I think some Bremmen parts are made in Germany. I can't say all of them.
I pieced my kit together, new OEM tensioner, new lower cover, upper gasket, Febi chain. Reused hardware with blue loctite, except the crank bolt that was new. If you're careful and cheap, you could reuse everything including the cover and gaskets. My rails were in good shape so I reused them, except the top one I broke when removing.
Whatever you do, don't buy the kit from partsgeek. That is straight China garbage.

Yeah I pieced mine together as well for a good price, OEM tensioner, OEM chain, new lower cover, new guides (though old weren't bad), new gaskets and new bolts.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
The timing chain rattle sound just started on my 2012 GTI yesterday. I've been reading through this thread and others like it but one thing I haven't found an answer for is, is it safe to drive the car?

I'm going to contact my shop ASAP and get the car in immediately, but in the mean time I want to be sure i'm okay to drive per usual.

Not safe.

UberFast

Ready to race!
Bremmen parts are rebranded aftermarket Chinese stuff sold by ECS. That's why they are so cheap. I would highly recommend getting the OEM chain. tensioner and guides. People have had aftermarket chinese tensioners and cam bridge failures causing a lot of damage...
Yea I talked to someone at ECS and he told me to go with the Febi branded parts. He said Febi are German, Bremmen are not.