GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think that's just a dumb edit that shouldn't even be there.

ahard48

Ready to race!
I am looking at buying a used R rear bumper, and his has the slit (shown below)

bumper1.jpg

EDIT: I guess I could just email ECS Tuning and update everyone.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Oh...I have no idea then. I was just looking at pictures and I'm unable to even see that on any fully installed bumpers. It's just a smooth filled in bumper with no hole and nothing installed at that spot.

Maybe it's just a recess so the plate can sit flush? Seems strange it would just be a hole though.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Maybe it's just a recess so the plate can sit flush? Seems strange it would just be a hole though.

I can see this being the reason as the slit is perfectly in line with the plate holes.

ahard48

Ready to race!
See dialog below for question & answer with ECS:

"Mike_B: 5K6807100S041
so the diddsuer can fit since the center exhaust has a heat shield is what im being told"

"Mike_B: i dont think thats the reason, i think its for the license plate holder makes more sense too me, 5K6807847"

Definitely seems like its for the plate holder after looking up the last part # he sent me...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

It looks like it's so you don't end up with something like that bumper, where the bottom part of the bumper is pushing the plate away and the plates resting on that lip.

HotLikeSauce

Passed Driver's Ed
Stupid question, but am I an idiot for not replacing the timing chain tensioner on my 2010 MK6 with 130k miles in favor of new wheels and coilovers?

ahard48

Ready to race!
Weird flex but ok...

torga

Autocross Champion
Stupid question, but am I an idiot for not replacing the timing chain tensioner on my 2010 MK6 with 130k miles in favor of new wheels and coilovers?
Excellent first post. To answer your question, yes.
+1; bad move. If it's not too late to return the wheels/coils, eat whatever shipping/restock loss you'll take and go do your chain and tensioner.

HotLikeSauce

Passed Driver's Ed
+1; bad move. If it's not too late to return the wheels/coils, eat whatever shipping/restock loss you'll take and go do your chain and tensioner.

Yea I think in my gut I knew this was the smarter move. Cancelling the wheels and keeping the coils. Getting a quote for tensioner now. Thanks all!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yea I think in my gut I knew this was the smarter move. Cancelling the wheels and keeping the coils. Getting a quote for tensioner now. Thanks all!
Do the chains also, they are almost definitely stretched at this point. Will save you a lot of money doing it while they're in there

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

You'll need a new chain at that many miles too.

HotLikeSauce

Passed Driver's Ed
Cancelled the wheels (Tire Rack has great customer service) and am calling around for estimates. Any high mileage owners who have done this service have a ballpark cost? Dealership quoted me $1,750.