GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
Quick, stupid question.

When using the crank pulley hold tool to replace the crank pulley, do the nubs on the tool hold the pulley against something else behind the pulley? I.E. does the hold tool mechanically link the pulley to the crankshaft?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Quick, stupid question.

When using the crank pulley hold tool to replace the crank pulley, do the nubs on the tool hold the pulley against something else behind the pulley? I.E. does the hold tool mechanically link the pulley to the crankshaft?

No it doesn't. Just prevents you from spinning/turning over the engine while torquing it and making sure you keep your tdc marking aligned.

torga

Autocross Champion
No it doesn't. Just prevents you from spinning/turning over the engine while torquing it and making sure you keep your tdc marking aligned.
Then I suppose I don't understand how it's supposed to work, other than giving a counter torque to remove/replace the bolt.
If the pulley can still move freely, I don't know how to be sure that the pulley is in the proper position, relative to the crankshaft, when I replace it. No idea why the tool wouldn't lock the pulley and crank together - that's the most logical.

Edit: It doesn;t even link the damper pulley to the chain pulley?

Last edited:

jay745

Then I suppose I don't understand how it's supposed to work, other than giving a counter torque to remove/replace the bolt.
If the pulley can still move freely, I don't know how to be sure that the pulley is in the proper position, relative to the crankshaft, when I replace it. No idea why the tool wouldn't lock the pulley and crank together - that's the most logical.

Edit: It doesn;t even link the damper pulley to the chain pulley?

There's a TDC marking on the pulley, and on the timing cover that you line up first. Then you hold the pulley in that position with the counter hold tool while you torque the bolt.

torga

Autocross Champion
There's a TDC marking on the pulley, and on the timing cover that you line up first. Then you hold the pulley in that position with the counter hold tool while you torque the bolt.
Never mind, I just realized that the pulley has teeth on the backside. This whole time I thought it was flat and I could not wrap my head around the pulley staying in-line with the crank.

I got it, man. Thanks.

jay745

Never mind, I just realized that the pulley has teeth on the backside. This whole time I thought it was flat and I could not wrap my head around the pulley staying in-line with the crank.

I got it, man. Thanks.

There's one tooth that is different than the others, however you absolutely must make sure you line up the TDC markings on the pulley/timing cover and not just the tooth with the matching tooth on the crank side.

torga

Autocross Champion
There's one tooth that is different than the others, however you absolutely must make sure you line up the TDC markings on the pulley/timing cover and not just the tooth with the matching tooth on the crank side.
I see what you're saying, thank you.

So if I broke the bolt free while the pulley was at TDC, as long as the crank didn't move I can just use the keyed notch in the teeth to line the pulley back up and it'll still be at TDC. Since there is only one notch in the teeth, it can only be lined back up one way. Assuming that the notch in the teeth is always at the same position, relative to the TDC marking on OEM fit pulleys.

Basically, keep track of the key relative to TDC and I'll be fine, is what I'm hearing.

zrickety

The Fixer
You don't need to worry about TDC unless you're removing the chain, even then there are markings to guide you. If you jack up the car just right, the holder tool will rest on the ground and do the work for you. The pulley itself is fool proof, it will only fit one way even if you turn the crank. Put it on by hand, you'll feel the engagement. Then the trick is getting the bolt started. I would recommend some blue loctite unless you are super strong. The torque spec is really high.

torga

Autocross Champion
You don't need to worry about TDC unless you're removing the chain, even then there are markings to guide you. If you jack up the car just right, the holder tool will rest on the ground and do the work for you. The pulley itself is fool proof, it will only fit one way even if you turn the crank. Put it on by hand, you'll feel the engagement. Then the trick is getting the bolt started. I would recommend some blue loctite unless you are super strong. The torque spec is really high.
I was definitely planning on using some of the sweet blue stuff. Thanks for the additional input!

Different question: can anyone tell me the difference between the Low-Line grille and the R-line grille? From my super expert and technical research of looking at many pictures from Google searches, I cannot tell a single difference other than the obvious "R" badge.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I was definitely planning on using some of the sweet blue stuff. Thanks for the additional input!

Different question: can anyone tell me the difference between the Low-Line grille and the R-line grille? From my super expert and technical research of looking at many pictures from Google searches, I cannot tell a single difference other than the obvious "R" badge.

Look at the front on pictures here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/golf-r-upper-grille/5k0853651bf041/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-grille-low-line/5k0853651alqwa/

subtle differences, R grille has a bit less rounded bits and horizontal notches line up a bit different.

torga

Autocross Champion
Look at the front on pictures here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/golf-r-upper-grille/5k0853651bf041/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/front-grille-low-line/5k0853651alqwa/

subtle differences, R grille has a bit less rounded bits and horizontal notches line up a bit different.

Ok, I'm able to see them now. Thanks for the help! It was difficult to find some good photos at the same angle on Google. All in all, the differences are incredibly minor. Pretty happy with my recent Low-Line acquisition!

ahard48

Ready to race!
How come the US Spec and Euro Spec golf R bumpers are different? US has a horizontal slit under the licenses plate holder where as Euro doesn't? Does the US spec have something that goes there?

US Spec.jpg
Euro Spec.jpg

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
How come the US Spec and Euro Spec golf R bumpers are different? US has a horizontal slit under the licenses plate holder where as Euro doesn't? Does the US spec have something that goes there?

View attachment 58653
View attachment 58654

I cant really tell what your referring to but usually the euro spec and US spec rear bumpers are different due to the license plate dimensions they need to meet in said area.

ahard48

Ready to race!
Circled. US has slit, Euro does not as seen in original post. Why is this different? Does something go there?

us1.png