GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Tunes will change how often the on off switch is hit. More cycles requires something more durable. If you are tuned and want to run stock coils, don't let us get in your way. But the anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere on the forum shows that they seem to be better and some people trust that.

I respectfully disagree... how often the on/off switch is hit is dependent on RPMs. The fact that one drives a tuned car more aggressively and at higher RPMs doesn't mean that the tune broke the coil pack. It just means that the driver is running through more RPMs.

I going COBB Stage 1 HB tomorrow cause thats when my access ports coming, do you recommend I wait out the stock coil packs?

IMO, your coil packs will break with or without a tune. I would buy the coil packs (cheap at ~$80 for 4) and put them in your trunk. That way, when the coil packs eventually break (and the COBB will tell you which one broke), just replace them at that point.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
It has a better voltage range and handles the demand of the tune better. Probably don't need it if you are stock. But it can't hurt. Use them on my k04 gti and wife's stock mk4 gti with no issues to date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But, does it? Who has tested this? Has anyone pushed voltage through both until failure? Trust me I would love for this to be a thing, because it's inexpensive preventive maintenance, but I just want facts.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
But, does it? Who has tested this? Has anyone pushed voltage through both until failure? Trust me I would love for this to be a thing, because it's inexpensive preventive maintenance, but I just want facts.

Dude read HStunings article i linked. They found it to be more efficent, stronger/brighter spark, higher resistance, the r8s allowed for larger gaps through out the rpm/voltage range before a misfire started.

I dont know why you guys are so anti-r8 coils... and need a holy grail to prove to you they are better. They cost the same ammount of money as stock coils but by all means buy whatever you want and i hope you limp home because "stock coils are the same bro and i cant find any information because i dont search about it bro".

You guys ask for testing i link a tuning company that did testing that found them to be much stronger and more resilient to the stock coil pack and you still complain that it doesn't specifically spell out in the words you want to see. Use some common sense and context clues dude. 80-90/100 people get tuned (at all varying mileage and maintenance plans) and they have coils blow on them. Sure a few people run the stock coils fine for some time. Would you rather hope to be in the minority where your stock coils arent a ticking time bomb just waiting to limp home one day from work or out with friends. Or would you rather spend the same money on the R8 coils which have worked damn near flawlessly on ever power lvl and tune we have.

And your argument that the stock coils were gonna fail anyways i find a little to convenient that we have multiple reports on here where people travel less than 10 miles after a tune before blowing a coil pack. Either all those people just happened to have the worst timing ever or it has something to do with the higher demand of spark pulses required on a tuned car.

Last edited:

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Well then you are flawed. Yes this is not a power upgrade but it defiantly effects performance when 80% of stock style coil packs blow when someone is tuned or gets tuned and you switch to the stronger more dense coil wind of the R8 coil packs and have a smooth running car and do not blow a coil you have to call that a performance upgrade.. when it runs better then stock its an upgrade.

I am flawed? Has it been proven that the packs are more densely wound? I just want more proof than a bunch of people saying they're more robust. I don't think that's too much to ask.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I am flawed? Has it been proven that the packs are more densely wound? I just want more proof than a bunch of people saying they're more robust. I don't think that's too much to ask.
please read the entire thread. i linked an article from a tuning company that did testing.

Here ill link it again since you just pick and choose what to read.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45050

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed
please read the entire thread. i linked an article from a tuning company that did testing.

Here ill link it again since you just pick and choose what to read.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45050

@lilonespaz is offering the proof to the ones that want hardcore proof. If you don't read it, that's on you. If you read it and STILL don't believe the professionals that performed the testing, that's also on you. :readthethread:

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Dude read HStunings article i linked. They found it to be more efficent, stronger/brighter spark, higher resistance, the r8s allowed for larger gaps through out the rpm/voltage range before a misfire started.

I dont know why you guys are so anti-r8 coils... and need a holy grail to prove to you they are better. They cost the same ammount of money as stock coils but by all means buy whatever you want and i hope you limp home because "stock coils are the same bro and i cant find any information because i dont search about it bro".

You guys ask for testing i link a tuning company that did testing that found them to be much stronger and more resilient to the stock coil pack and you still complain that it doesn't specifically spell out in the words you want to see. Use some common sense and context clues dude. 80-90/100 people get tuned (at all varying mileage and maintenance plans) and they have coils blow on them. Sure a few people run the stock coils fine for some time. Would you rather hope to be in the minority where your stock coils arent a ticking time bomb just waiting to limp home one day from work or out with friends. Or would you rather spend the same money on the R8 coils which have worked damn near flawlessly on ever power lvl and tune we have.

And your argument that the stock coils were gonna fail anyways i find a little to convenient that we have multiple reports on here where people travel less than 10 miles after a tune before blowing a coil pack. Either all those people just happened to have the worst timing ever or it has something to do with the higher demand of spark pulses required on a tuned car.

Sorry bro, but it's hard for me to trust a company that makes a shitload of money selling them, for being my well of knowledge, bro. I don't think it's too much to ask. Maybe I'll buy one and actually video an oscilloscope test of both. I just think everyone that's bought them is afraid that there is 0 difference aside from the red top. DAP in their video says there is no difference aside from visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXRVbifIaRE

jump to 1:40. try not to be so butt hurt.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry bro, but it's hard for me to trust a company that makes a shitload of money selling them, for being my well of knowledge, bro. I don't think it's too much to ask. Maybe I'll buy one and actually video an oscilloscope test of both. I just think everyone that's bought them is afraid that there is 0 difference aside from the red top. DAP in their video says there is no difference aside from visual.

You want a test i sent you a test and then you claim that they are biased because they sell them.

by all means go buy sets and do independent lab test to shut up about it. You cant really fake ohm ratings that show resistance... (more coil winds produce a higher resistance which equals more ohms.)

I can only provide the data what you choose to do with it is on you. But dont sit here and say you have researched but you choose to disregard research and actual testing because it doesn't fit your narrative.
Plus a tuning company is going to be the only one to TEST it you think some random lab is just gonna test it for funsies?

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I have no idea why the R8's last longer than the stock coil packs in tuned cars, but I have an unproven hypothesis. My hypothesis on why R8's seem to work better than stock coil packs on tuned cars is that tunes allow the engine to make more power and as a result more heat is also produced. The stock coil pack was not designed for the additional heat produced by tuned engines, but the R8 coil packs were designed for a very high power engine that is going to make way more heat than our cars, so they don't fail under the additional heat load produced by tuned cars. It's a hypothesis that have no data to support; anyone want to lend me there R8 so I can do some engine temperature comparisons?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
plus in your own video he says these are a nice visual upgrade. "There are claims that these provide a better spark and are better performing but we havent seen the testing yet to say if thats true or not"

So with that statement he is stating that he has not done the testing or read the testing information to see if its true or not. He doesn't discredit them or the testing just that they have not seen it to say whether its true or not. BRO.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

but you'll trust a company who wants to sell you the OEM coils that are KNOWN to fail on tuned cars? even though they make an ASSLOAD of money on you in the process?

if you dont want to run them fine no one is making you.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i have no doubts someone possibly took red spray paint to brand new stock coils and sold them as R8s to someone who didnt verify the part was legit. only buy from sources you know and trust.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
but you'll trust a company who wants to sell you the OEM coils that are KNOWN to fail on tuned cars? even though they make an ASSLOAD of money on you in the process?

if you dont want to run them fine no one is making you.
These new kids Will. SMH.