GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI on race tires (slicks)

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
So a half a quart of oil is generally enough to get around this at the limits of grip typical of a street driven car on tires that won't go to grease after a half a lap on a track?

I was looking forward to getting my car on a track at some point in the near future. But if I buy decent coilovers with a set of Bridgestone RE11s and I have to constantly worry about the engine it's just not worth the stress.

Depends on how many lateral G's and for how long. It's not just the lateral G force it's the duration of those lateral G's. First step would prob be to get an oil pressure gauge with an alarm so you can monitor it.

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
Baffling oil pan won't help since the problem is the oil can't be picked up fast enough.

Ran 5.1q on the track and still triggered my oil pressure warning. Had to run off course and get black flagged.

Only fix would be dry-sump. Kern417 has provided a great guide and no one seems to pay much attention. APR has also provided a solution with their OPS.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
So a half a quart of oil is generally enough to get around this at the limits of grip typical of a street driven car on tires that won't go to grease after a half a lap on a track?

I was looking forward to getting my car on a track at some point in the near future. But if I buy decent coilovers with a set of Bridgestone RE11s and I have to constantly worry about the engine it's just not worth the stress.

i have never triggered my oil pressure light on the street but did do it on the track on direzza z2. it all depends on the turn/bank/speed/etc because if you're losing grip you'll have more forgiveness then being on the edge of grip. and if you keep getting faster (As is the point of track days) you put yourself more and more at risk.

Baffling oil pan won't help since the problem is the oil can't be picked up fast enough.

Ran 5.1q on the track and still triggered my oil pressure warning. Had to run off course and get black flagged.

Only fix would be dry-sump. Kern417 has provided a great guide and no one seems to pay much attention. APR has also provided a solution with their OPS.

the problem is that oil doesn't return fast enough. as long as the pickup is submerged, you will have pressure. but our windage trays don't keep oil by the pickup.

and yes, 5 qts helps but isn't a fix. you also burn more oil when keeping the car at high rpm for extended period of time so i would check your levels between every session. remember all that oil that the pcv is dumping into your intercooler/piping is only half of it, the rest is being burned in the combustion chamber. so topping off your oil is essential.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
much better option if you're being serious about it.

Not really. BMW's have their own problems. Google e36 and oil starvation. you get the same issues we have. The S50/52 motor is not much different than the plebian M50/52 engine in the non M models. It's basically just a bored out version of the M50/52 with different cams and VANOS. If it's not dry sump it's going to have issues at some point if you keep pushing the G's doesn't matter what car. These cars are not race cars, they are built as "sporty" economy cars for hipsters and sorority girls, not as track cars. People buy the GTI because it is very versatile and well rounded. It does everything well, but nothing great. It's not a sports car and was never intended to be.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Out of curiousity, since I have an oil pressure gauge installed what would be considered low or dangerous pressure while cornering? I usually see around 50 psi while driving, and I still have my oem sensor plugged in so I should still get the warnings but just wondering what psi is considered "dangerous".

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Not really. BMW's have their own problems. Google e36 and oil starvation. you get the same issues we have. The S50/52 motor is not much different than the plebian M50/52 engine in the non M models. It's basically just a bored out version of the M50/52 with different cams and VANOS. If it's not dry sump it's going to have issues at some point if you keep pushing the G's doesn't matter what car. These cars are not race cars, they are built as "sporty" economy cars for hipsters and sorority girls, not as track cars. People buy the GTI because it is very versatile and well rounded. It does everything well, but nothing great. It's not a sports car and was never intended to be.

yes it's an issue if you get fast enough on any car, but an e36 has a much higher tolerance. and it comes much better prepped for tracking from the factory. cooling is a bigger issue than oil starvation, as it should be. the oil starvation issue that we have in street conditions is just ridiculous and further proves our cars are fun cars but not sports cars by any means.

s52 pan

Out of curiousity, since I have an oil pressure gauge installed what would be considered low or dangerous pressure while cornering? I usually see around 50 psi while driving, and I still have my oem sensor plugged in so I should still get the warnings but just wondering what psi is considered "dangerous".

it's dependent on rpm, but if you see oil pressure dropping while maintaining speed/rpm, back off. typically as long as you have pressure it's ok but ideal pressure is elevated at higher rpm. i have a 37psi switch on my accusump so that's when it starts equalizing pressure. above 37 it only holds oil and lets the car manage oil pressure on its own.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie

Any thing below 30psi while under load is considered detrimental.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Cool, thanks for the info guys!

zrickety

The Fixer
i have a 37psi switch on my accusump so that's when it starts equalizing pressure. above 37 it only holds oil and lets the car manage oil pressure on its own.
Kern, I am wondering how many times you see that accusump kick on during a typical track day?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
My first event this year will be in June so we'll see (I just installed it over the winter). I only tripped the light once last year between 2 events, but i fixed that by adding oil and finished out the weekend by checking levels every session. The feeling that I felt when I saw the light on and limped back to the paddock was horrible, so I got the accusump as soon as I got back.

If you had some warning when you're close it would be way better, but no oil pressure gauge from the factory puts you at severe risk of hitting the limit without warning, because all you're focusing on is getting faster lap after lap and it's bound to happen. If you're not paying attention and stay in it, it'll ruin everything. i immediately lifted and straightened out the steering wheel almost going off the track just to prevent any damage and got very lucky imo.