GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

Phur

Autocross Champion
roof rack who dis?
And if course, my doors have already come off lol. Maybe this year I'll actually sand down the frame doors and paint them.
Also I decided to hold off on rims and tires until after I wrap the car. I'm prob going 3M 2080, looking at Sky Blue or Sunflower Yellow. Of course, I'm gonna try to DIY the whole thing so that'll be fun. I'm rewrapping my roof next Monday so if that goes poorly (again) I might nix the full wrap lol
I didn’t notice who the post was from before I started reading it. But at soon as I got to “And if course, my doors have already come off lol.” I immediately thought, “Cole?!?”

😂

Phur

Autocross Champion
I think at least +200hp? Most are +5 but some are +10. But you have to consider roof rack to drivetrain transient power loss, so it's more like .01bhp.
So I guess my car has 500hp/260.01bhp
Seems to check out. 😂

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Couldn't find my old DV to replace and honestly I hate trying to work with the DV on this car because it seems like no tool fits other than a small right angle allen wrench.
Tbh I feel like it could've been as simple as me not tightening the DV enough for the above reason.

That's true, the R has the DV up front by the TB, easy to swap, takes 5 minutes. LOL

FYI, I had my tuner go over my car, they called APR and tested everything and determined there was no boost issue, everything working normally so the code I had after installing the TurboSmart was a non-issue and it is working nicely.

Did you get yours worked out?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
That's true, the R has the DV up front by the TB, easy to swap, takes 5 minutes. LOL

FYI, I had my tuner go over my car, they called APR and tested everything and determined there was no boost issue, everything working normally so the code I had after installing the TurboSmart was a non-issue and it is working nicely.

Did you get yours worked out?
Yeah it just... Started working. Then no code.
Halfway through my big trip, the BOV function stopped working. It was rather sudden. I attributed it to change in air pressure, maybe, since the DV was still working fine and there were no codes. I didn't get a code until 2 months later, in fact, after arriving back home and the BOV function still not working. Then the day after I got it running, it started working again and the code went away. I don't know why, and I'm not gonna question it.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Screenshot_20210630-163709_Instagram.jpg

Saw this and thought I'd share.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Snapchat-894163887.jpg

Not me spending 2300 replacing most of my suspension just so my engine can die on me 🙄
Oh well it'll be fixed soon enough. Then I'm diving head first into this photo:
  • Axles
  • Coilovers
  • Top hats and bearings
  • Rear sway bar end links (one fell off oops)
  • Ball joints
  • Tie rods and boots
  • Front and rear hubs
  • Titanium lug bolts (I'm a sucker, I know)
  • Tons of replacement hardware
Not pictured are my new shoes to match my new lug bolts... I'm honestly more excited about my new tires than I am the rims, coilovers, and refreshed suspension combined. I'm half tempted to refrain from doing my axles until after I get my new tires because I want to see if I can break my bad axle from a launch 😂
In any case, I fully expect to cry tears of joy after all this work. My axle's been clicking for over a year, and I blew out my FL strut on my road trip (3rd to last day, in Montana) 2 years ago, and getting a tight new suspension and sticky tires should make this car everything I dreamt it could be.

Honestly, the only performance mods left I want to do are a BBK (when my rotors need replacing), k04 (when my turbo blows), camber plates and deadset kit (plus a subframe alignment), meth and/or intercooler, and maybe some bracing and front sway bar. Nothing urgent.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
mc-coy-hes-dead-jim.gif

Yeah uhhhhhh... Car dead.
Getting a quote to see what a cheap replacement engine will cost. Gonna also figure the numbers to rebuild the motor myself over the summer, maybe bore it out (I'm sure those cylinder walls are scored to shit).
I know it's not fiscally responsible but I'm also gonna look at motor swaps. I'm pretty attached to this car, and I wonder about an R swap a lot.
I'm just really glad I didn't take this thing apart to install all those parts yet, I had planned to last week.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
View attachment 244925
Yeah uhhhhhh... Car dead.
Getting a quote to see what a cheap replacement engine will cost. Gonna also figure the numbers to rebuild the motor myself over the summer, maybe bore it out (I'm sure those cylinder walls are scored to shit).
I know it's not fiscally responsible but I'm also gonna look at motor swaps. I'm pretty attached to this car, and I wonder about an R swap a lot.
I'm just really glad I didn't take this thing apart to install all those parts yet, I had planned to last week.
Bummer dude.

R swap would be sweet. If not a 2.0T what would you try to do? Theres been a few 3.6 VR swaps lately, its snug though.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
My advice? And BTW it is the best advice... Would be to source a wrecked GTI from copart. You can find a rear end damaged one like here:

https://www.copart.com/lot/38593642/salvage-2012-volkswagen-gti-nj-somerville

Have it towed to your house and pull the motor yourself, then sell the body for scrap or part it out and recoup some losses.

I promise if you go any other route you're gonna pay at least double. Very easy to do as well, you're more than capable of replacing the motor.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
My advice? And BTW it is the best advice... Would be to source a wrecked GTI from copart. You can find a rear end damaged one like here:

https://www.copart.com/lot/38593642/salvage-2012-volkswagen-gti-nj-somerville

Have it towed to your house and pull the motor yourself, then sell the body for scrap or part it out and recoup some losses.

I promise if you go any other route you're gonna pay at least double. Very easy to do as well, you're more than capable of replacing the motor.
Lmao then I'd have TWO copart parts cars sitting in my yard with no engine 😂 that's exactly what I did before I ever knew what a timing chain tensioner was and blew up the first engine. I'm not in an immediate need for a daily driver, my new job brings a new work van with it. I'm considering a lot of options, but one is pull apart the block over the summer. Diagnose the problem, bore it out, replace the water pump and check everything out, then send it back in. If I do that I'll price out upgraded internals (although then I'll want a custom tune, which means I'll probably also want a half dozen more mods 🙄 meth kit, intercooler, aluminum intake manifold, pancake pipe...).
Idk guys. Been joking my car was in danger since the rumors about the GR Corolla started to swirl, then it blows up the next week. Maybe a GR86.
Hell maybe a 99 Subaru Outback so I slow tf down.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Bummer dude.

R swap would be sweet. If not a 2.0T what would you try to do? Theres been a few 3.6 VR swaps lately, its snug though.
I would love nothing more than to slap a whole front end into the back of the GTI. In theory everything should wire up and function just like normal, and the biggest build obstacle would be radiator/intercooler/ac condenser. Coding would prob be a headache but I bet even before you dial it all in you could have a running driving car. You'd need to have some pricey custom suspension since the geometry and weight distribution are so drastically different. Shift linkage for the 6MT might suck.
I would probably chop the whole rear floor out, and weld in a whole slice out of the donor car, the area around the strut and motor mounts. That way you have exact fits for everything. 4 point cage to keep it all tight.
The engine would sit almost exactly in the rear seat location, plenty of room in front for a fuel cell and fire wall, room behind for small storage. Coolant overflow, washer fluid, and spare tire can go up front, with a new large storage area. Vents in the rear quarter panels for airflow.

Honest to god I feel beholden to create this monster if only because I've already given it a name... The VW MRI (Mid-Rear GTI, and because this car is gonna give me an aneurysm)