GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Have you seen the twin engine green GTI?

Any of these 'swaps' is going to cost 10x more than you anticipate. Also, you may not need to "bore" the engine out at all.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I would love nothing more than to slap a whole front end into the back of the GTI. In theory everything should wire up and function just like normal, and the biggest build obstacle would be radiator/intercooler/ac condenser. Coding would prob be a headache but I bet even before you dial it all in you could have a running driving car. You'd need to have some pricey custom suspension since the geometry and weight distribution are so drastically different. Shift linkage for the 6MT might suck.
I would probably chop the whole rear floor out, and weld in a whole slice out of the donor car, the area around the strut and motor mounts. That way you have exact fits for everything. 4 point cage to keep it all tight.
The engine would sit almost exactly in the rear seat location, plenty of room in front for a fuel cell and fire wall, room behind for small storage. Coolant overflow, washer fluid, and spare tire can go up front, with a new large storage area. Vents in the rear quarter panels for airflow.

Honest to god I feel beholden to create this monster if only because I've already given it a name... The VW MRI (Mid-Rear GTI, and because this car is gonna give me an aneurysm)
I'm surprised you have not yet gotten rid of the other donor car

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Have you seen the twin engine green GTI?

Any of these 'swaps' is going to cost 10x more than you anticipate. Also, you may not need to "bore" the engine out at all.
Oh I know, it's not really gonna happen yet, more of a pipe dream really. And I just assumed the walls are gonna be scored to hell, but I guess we'll see.
I have seen that GTI, it's bonkers 🤯

I'm surprised you have not yet gotten rid of the other donor car
I have half an interior in it and I use it to sit outside and smoke or relax. That said, I'll prob look into selling it now, make some extra cash and make room for a replacement parts car (if that's the route I go).

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Apparently it's running enough to drive it home. My mechanic says it's almost certainly a spun main bearing, and with how it sounds I wager I've damaged the crank, too. It is what it is, gotta fix it one way or another.

I've decided to try to fix it before June, but I'm not gonna rush it. A very big part of me wants to strip and paint the engine bay, replace all my coolant hoses and hardware, and just generally make the engine bay worth looking at.

Two Six questions for you guys:
  1. Cost to zinc plate hardware? There's options to just buy full colored sets of engine bay hardware, but idk enough about material strength and coatings to know if they're good.
  2. What signs of wear should I look for with my turbo? No better time to do some routine inspection than right now, and I really don't want to take this thing apart again.
  3. Are there internals that wear that I should replace while I'm there? I don't know much about how they wear, but what about piston rings?
  4. I subscribe to Humble Mechanic and plan to reference his TSI rebuild series, but are there other references or guides I should use/purchase?
  5. Is it a stupid idea to use ARP head studs when I'm rebuilding it? I like the idea that I can reuse them, and while I don't plan to make 500hp I would like to upgrade my turbo and internals down the line. So if the only reason not to is price, I'll do it.
  6. Are there any manufacturers worth buying instead of Genuine VW when it comes to internals? I'm finding Kolbenschmidt and King Engine Bearings, and there are upgrades, too.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
That's 5 questions 😏

1. Probably cheaper but far more time consuming than its worth.

2. Shaft play, signs of friction

3. Assess them all but don't commit to buying replacements until you have them out.

4. THM is a great resource sadly I do t have much else to offer.

5. No valuable input sorry

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
That's 5 questions 😏

1. Probably cheaper but far more time consuming than its worth.

2. Shaft play, signs of friction

3. Assess them all but don't commit to buying replacements until you have them out.

4. THM is a great resource sadly I do t have much else to offer.

5. No valuable input sorry
oops I wrote this over two days lol
What about non-Genuine VW internals, know of any brands worth getting?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Car's home and I've started lazily pulling it apart. Bought a shit borescope from HF that's basically useless for inspecting the cylinder walls unless I use the mirror attachment... Except the mirror is too wide to fit in the spark plug hole. Whatever 🙄
Does anyone know what cars came with a straight-swappable motor? If I buy a B6 Passat from 2010, will I be able to pull the motor and drop it right in? What about a 2015 GTI? I've tried finding a comprehensive list of all Gen 1 TSI applications, and I think this is it, but I want a second opinion before I drop a couple grand on a parts car
Screenshot_20220421-225718.png

Also, would any of these be a straight swap? I assume the power differences come from the ECU and not the motor but that's only my assumptions... My first thought is only another CBFA well work but I know a CCTA will play nice so would a CPSA/CCZB/CCZD/etc also work?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Lazy disassembly has begun. Currently I've (allegedly) disconnected everything from the motor other than one axle and the mounts.
PXL_20220427_000004138.jpgPXL_20220426_235740970.MP.jpgPXL_20220426_235800103.jpg
Mind you this is gonna be a potpourri when it comes to what part I'm working on. I decided not to abandon my suspension rebuild package so I'm doing it alongside.
I'm really leaning toward buying a Passat or CC so I can get those aluminum bits, completing my suspension rebuild (except a fsb, camber plates, and rear camber arms). It's really exciting to know I'm going to have new everything for my new wheels to touch.
This whole project started as a budget of 1.5k for wheels/tires and by the time my car is roadworthy again I'll prob have spent nearly 6k 🙄 that's what I get for abusing a German car like I do.

Attachments

• PXL_20220427_000004138.jpg
    PXL_20220427_000004138.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20220426_235740970.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220426_235740970.MP.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20220426_235800103.jpg
    PXL_20220426_235800103.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Engine out.
PXL_20220502_212519587.MP.jpgPXL_20220502_221918923.MP.jpgPXL_20220502_221936464.MP.jpgPXL_20220502_221943191.MP.jpgPXL_20220502_221959375.jpg
There's a thick coat of grime and grease covering the firewall, fsb and subframe. I think it's a combo of only having 3 studs on my turbo exhaust and a failed CV axle with a torn boot. Donuts with no splash tray certainly contributed some filth.
PXL_20220502_231519767.jpg
Disconnected most of the front suspension, too.
PXL_20220502_232111656.jpg
I'm gonna switch gears now and focus on cleaning the engine bay (both of grime and cluttered wires/hoses) and installing the suspension parts I've purchased. Once I've decided what I'm doing for a motor (fix/replace) I'll start on that.

Hopefully I can get some friends to help out bc this shit takes so much out of me.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
PXL_20220515_131047096.MP.jpg
Added two new large boxes to my parts pile. Secured myself a set of LHD Supernovas and some ECS armor plating. I've been wanting to get the ECS street shield for a couple years now but the thing stopping me has always been the fact that I hate the idea of having to undo 100 bolts just for an oil change. In the future I'm going to look into replacing the screws with push button latches, but that's hardly important to the goal of getting my car back together so it's gonna be screws for now.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
View attachment 249236Added two new large boxes to my parts pile. Secured myself a set of LHD Supernovas and some ECS armor plating. I've been wanting to get the ECS street shield for a couple years now but the thing stopping me has always been the fact that I hate the idea of having to undo 100 bolts just for an oil change. In the future I'm going to look into replacing the screws with push button latches, but that's hardly important to the goal of getting my car back together so it's gonna be screws for now.
You could always do oil changes via extractor and not need to do the routine of the bolts