GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Made hella progress stripping the block. Goal was just to remove the trans but uhhhh...
PXL_20220515_175741187.MP.jpg
PXL_20220515_175725334.MP.jpgPXL_20220515_175805459.MP.jpgPXL_20220515_175751248.MP.jpg
Yeah so I drained the oil, pulled the pan, turbo, alternator, AC compressor oil filter bracket, water pump, starter, and then finally trans. I also changed the straps to be a little less sketchy, though now the plastics at the bottom of the engine are exposed and I don't want to strap over them.
Next move will be pulling that junk, then I can replace the straps and take apart the timing.

Made a cool new t-shirt design in the process of removing my trans
PXL_20220515_180011084.MP.jpg

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Didn't do anything but as I was chilling in my garage and looking over the engine I noticed the harmonic dampener bolt is about 5° looser than when it was installed. Obviously the bolt didn't fail, and it's getting replaced anyway, but is this some cause for concern when I reinstall it? My engine's definitely not pushing the torque limits, it's just stage 2.
PXL_20220517_213039522.MP.jpg

Added a new clutch and all associated hardware (incl flywheel) to the pile. And yeah it's ECS 😓 car came with a Spec stage 3 kit but the flywheel was warped. I couldn't afford a new Spec flywheel, but I really liked how the single mass drove. I'm not unhappy with the ECS stage 2 kit, but I liked the bite from the six-puck clutch a little more, and the flywheel was (noticably) half the weight of my ECS flywheel, so I'll move back to the Spec kit eventually.
PXL_20220517_215230325.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
So I bought another car...
8f476ea037474d57b111f8c532630db7_hrs.jpg

Boy she purty. $700 was the winning bid, plus $1000 in fees and $700 in shipping.

Now, this wasn't the first time I've used Copart to purchase a salvage-title parts car for my GTI. The first time I purchased it straight from Copart, and I encountered some troubles. This time I used a broker (AutoBidMaster), thinking I'm paying them to facilitate a smooth transaction. Instead, they've cost me around a thousand dollars more than just using Copart, as well as plenty of mental anguish of dealing with constant problems and hiccups. I rambled for a while about it, but most people will not be interested and should just skip.

...I didn't hear anything for a day after paying using one of their 3 options, when they sent me an email—after work hours, I want to add—saying I'm being charged a late fee and I won't be able to pick up my vehicle until it's paid.
You see, I didn't have any other chance during the work week to pick this up, so it had to happen the next day. Philly is 6 hours each way from my house. That's me leaving at 7am, arriving at 1pm, and being home by 9pm. But now I'd need to call the broker to sort out what was going on an hour in, having already rented the uhaul and started on my way.
I waited to call at 8 before starting off, and after being told there's no guarantee it'll go through today. Against my better judgement I stayed home and resigned to shipping it.
Things are now fine. A little after 12 (approx 1hr before I would have arrived, sticking to the original plan), I receive an email stating the payment went through. It also stated I still owed a late fee, despite paying hours after purchase. That was resolved rather quickly with an email, and I purchased shipping for $700.
An hour after ordering shipping I get another email saying the car is immobilized and I'll need offloading equipment on site. Nowhere is any of this mentioned in the process of ordering it. When I said as much, they told me that it is listed, in the Help section... Why would I look for the answer to a question I don't have?? The car appears very mobile to me.

Anyway, that's all sorted and now I'm in contact with the shipping company and I was told they were hoping to pick it up Friday before Copart closesat 5 once a driver is assigned. Well 4:15 a driver gets assigned and that's the last I've heard of it. The yards close for the weekend, but if the shipping company picked it up they'll deliver over the weekend. Otherwise, I'll get it Wednesday or so.

Now, what exactly am I getting?

348af2993ce040b3b94be173ccb88bd9_hrs.jpg

Ta da! A dog's lunch if ever there was one.

That, I believe, is what secured me this lot so low. Now I don't need anything other than the block in intact condition, so as long as there's no holes punched through it, I win. Looks like the throttle, throttle pipe, and intake manifold are certainly toast, and I may have to replace the alternator, oil and water pumps, and various other accessories, but I have all those already, doubles of some. This block has less than 40k miles on it. It's also CCTA, going into my CBFA chassis, so it won't be entirely PNP.

Lastly, I'll be swapping the suspension of the two cars to steal the aluminum goodies and return the CC to "roller" status, then I'll roll it the fuck out of here. I move in less than a week and I'm trying not to leave my mom with two parts cars on the property, so both will be gone by September if anyone's interested. I may toss a bunch of my spare parts as well so I have less stuff to deal with. I was thinking of doing a fire sale where I price everything cheap, maybe sell bins of misc parts.

Anyway, I'll either update this thread tomorrow with a pic of the car or I won't.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Cardboard on painted surfaces is like sand paper. That's why all the wheels come shipped with the cloth and lip protector. Do not do any sliding movements, it will scratch it. They look good (y)

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
What colors are you considering
White, bronze, or gray. It'll all depend on how much detail I can see in the black wheels when they're on the car. Probably won't happen until I wrap the car, too. Sunflower yellow is my top choice right now
Cardboard on painted surfaces is like sand paper. That's why all the wheels come shipped with the cloth and lip protector. Do not do any sliding movements, it will scratch it. They look good (y)
I didn't know that! I'll fix that post haste ty sir

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
White, bronze, or gray. It'll all depend on how much detail I can see in the black wheels when they're on the car. Probably won't happen until I wrap the car, too. Sunflower yellow is my top choice right now

I didn't know that! I'll fix that post haste ty sir
I too was thinking of yellow for wrap. There's a few good options I liked. Hard to get that shade of yellow.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I wanted something I don't see often, and I think a yellow hatch with gloss black trim and accents looks mean AF. Also considered bright blue and grassy green but meh.
I'm not very adept with wrapping so I stick mostly to the easy-to-use stuff like 3M and Avery. This is the color I'm primarily looking at, and I'll spray/wrap various trim pieces gloss black. I'll also pick up some white and bronze wraps to compare colors.
I've been putting off this wrap for 2 years now, but I just keep finding more important things. I've resolved to not spend any more money on my car this year (except for a boost gauge), but my next upgrade package is gonna be cosmetic. Wrap, splitters, shift knob, seats, and maybe an exhaust (I might be in the minority but I consider anything after the downpipe cosmetic).

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I wanted something I don't see often, and I think a yellow hatch with gloss black trim and accents looks mean AF. Also considered bright blue and grassy green but meh.
I'm not very adept with wrapping so I stick mostly to the easy-to-use stuff like 3M and Avery. This is the color I'm primarily looking at, and I'll spray/wrap various trim pieces gloss black. I'll also pick up some white and bronze wraps to compare colors.
I've been putting off this wrap for 2 years now, but I just keep finding more important things. I've resolved to not spend any more money on my car this year (except for a boost gauge), but my next upgrade package is gonna be cosmetic. Wrap, splitters, shift knob, seats, and maybe an exhaust (I might be in the minority but I consider anything after the downpipe cosmetic).
This is close to what you're after I think, it was what I was going to do. I have another idea I'm chasing now. Next year probably.

https://inozetekusa.com/collections...products/supergloss-metallic-dandelion-yellow

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
This afternoon I get a call that they're delivering my car tonight. At 11pm-12.

PXL_20220802_043628928.jpg
12:38am. Thankfully the whole operation went very quietly and without disturbance.

They had to crank it to disengage the e brake, sounded healthy. Didn't start, but I'm unsurprised; the intake manifold looks proper fucked.

PXL_20220802_044541852.jpg

Ooh she a right fuckin mess, huh?

Maybe I'll pull the engine Tuesday maybe I won't, we'll see how I feel when I wake up

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Idk why everyone rags on ECS and their unreliable delivery times when I feel like every time I order from UroTuning I get fucked. Turbo blanket is now delayed up to 10 days, with shipping that means probably two weeks at the earliest, maybe closing on 3. This isn't the first time either; they make vague promises of delivery dates then immediately after ordering give me an email that says "oho sorry bud, you're gonna have to wait two extra weeks to put your engine in" 😡

And ECS Tuning didn't even bother telling me they delayed my shipment. August 13th I ordered a bunch of parts, all "in stock." Well August 26th rolls around and they STILL hadn't shipped it because they were waiting on a transfer for one of them! THAT'S NOT IN STOCK MOTHER FUCKERS.

Ugh. I genuinely think I won't even get to use my new wheels this year and there is nothing about this project that would disappoint me more. I've been waiting for sticky summer tires for 3 years and now I'm going to have to wait for a fourth.

There isn't a single parts site that I can reliable use to get parts I need on time. At least ECS usually gets shit to me in 2 days even with the cheapest shipping... If they actually fucking ship it!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Idk why everyone rags on ECS and their unreliable delivery times when I feel like every time I order from UroTuning I get fucked. Turbo blanket is now delayed up to 10 days, with shipping that means probably two weeks at the earliest, maybe closing on 3. This isn't the first time either; they make vague promises of delivery dates then immediately after ordering give me an email that says "oho sorry bud, you're gonna have to wait two extra weeks to put your engine in" 😡

And ECS Tuning didn't even bother telling me they delayed my shipment. August 13th I ordered a bunch of parts, all "in stock." Well August 26th rolls around and they STILL hadn't shipped it because they were waiting on a transfer for one of them! THAT'S NOT IN STOCK MOTHER FUCKERS.

Ugh. I genuinely think I won't even get to use my new wheels this year and there is nothing about this project that would disappoint me more. I've been waiting for sticky summer tires for 3 years and now I'm going to have to wait for a fourth.

There isn't a single parts site that I can reliable use to get parts I need on time. At least ECS usually gets shit to me in 2 days even with the cheapest shipping... If they actually fucking ship it!
Which Turbo blanket