GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Why don't you just dump it? I know plenty of people that send the wastegate overboard and have no problems. Side note, I am looking at big turboing my AWD(4motion) GTI and top mount is what I want to do with it as well.
Cheers, great project, very inspiring!

Open dump wastegates are a little obnoxious for my taste (too loud). Perhaps if this was a race car, but not for this build.

aregister

Ready to race!
Open dump wastegates are a little obnoxious for my taste (too loud). Perhaps if this was a race car, but not for this build.
That's fair. It's interesting that you mention that your build isn't a race car, but yet you went to the lengths of adding a big turbo. What was your intention with the power gains from that modification?

quadiste

Passed Driver's Ed

While the build is far from over (and probably will always be improving), I’m at the end of a chapter. The car is officially back together. Aside from bleeding the brakes and triple-checking wiring, it’s a car again! A 4motion, R-Line, 2.5t wagon!

Started working on the cold side piping this week. Getting that wrapped up and the exhaust finalized is the next steps for a first start.
It looks amazing!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
That's fair. It's interesting that you mention that your build isn't a race car, but yet you went to the lengths of adding a big turbo. What was your intention with the power gains from that modification?

The goal has always been a production car build. I'm building the car I wished VW always made. A powerful awd estate car with 5 cylinders :)

When I referenced a race car, I was more speaking to cars that are dedicated for going fast, where ride quality, road noise, etc aren't really a concern. This car has all of the high-line retrofits and amenities. It's a more mature and refined approach to a go fast car IMO.

Phur

Autocross Champion
The goal has always been a production car build. I'm building the car I wished VW always made. A powerful awd estate car with 5 cylinders :)

When I referenced a race car, I was more speaking to cars that are dedicated for going fast, where ride quality, road noise, etc aren't really a concern. This car has all of the high-line retrofits and amenities. It's a more mature and refined approach to a go fast car IMO.
AKA
vehicular perfection.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
More pipe work today. Really happy with how the lower downpipe and wastegate recirc are turning out. I’m very slow, but learning all the tricks to getting the right angles, mocking things up 100 times and now, trying my hand at tack welding stainless, has all been worth the effort. I've decided I’ll keep at it and build the rest of the exhaust myself.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Man, I so want to do this myself . You are my hero. :D

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the ECU back from United Motorsports. All good! Now finalizing the fender blending to match up the new European R-Line front-end.

The variant/wagon has unique fenders different to the Golf/GTI/R. The fender arches are more narrow and body line is .55" shorter. This requires both flaring and elongating the body line to match the bump where it meets the fender. Unfortunately, the a-pillar differences between the wagon fenders and the Golf/GTI/R are so different, that one cannot simply swap front fenders to solve the issue.

Always the hard way! :)