GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket possibilities

nyte3k

Ready to race!
Yea I love those R8's as well. The offset is 35 or 42mm for the S5's, which would poke about 15mm from stock with the 42 offset. That seems like A LOT since the Detroits look nearly flush with the fender anyway. Sigh, what to do...

How does one see the offset for the stock 18" GTI wheels and the aftermarket wheels? (I'm a n00b at this heh)

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
Yea I love those R8's as well. The offset is 35 or 42mm for the S5's, which would poke about 15mm from stock with the 42 offset. That seems like A LOT since the Detroits look nearly flush with the fender anyway. Sigh, what to do...
no, 51mm to 42mm changes the tire position by 9mm - any change in rim width does not change where the tire sits, just where the outside (and inside) of the rim sits...

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
no, 51mm to 42mm changes the tire position by 9mm - any change in rim width does not change where the tire sits, just where the outside (and inside) of the rim sits...

Oh I know, I'm just saying offset changes the position of the rim. In this case the rim is shifted 9mm out in addition to the 1/4 inch extra rim width on each side (1/2 inch wider total). Just don't like the look of poking so much, esp since I won't be lowering it right away if ever.

nyte3k

Ready to race!
Oh I know, I'm just saying offset changes the position of the rim. In this case the rim is shifted 9mm out in addition to the 1/4 inch extra rim width on each side (1/2 inch wider total). Just don't like the look of poking so much, esp since I won't be lowering it right away if ever.

to clear things up, is that the difference between getting 7.5 x 18" wheels (stock Detroit size) vs 8 x 18" (what a lot of these aftermarket wheel sizes are) ?

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
no worries; it's a confusing set of things to consider, just wanted to clarify...

to clear things up, is that the difference between getting 7.5 x 18" wheels (stock Detroit size) vs 8 x 18" (what a lot of these aftermarket wheel sizes are) ?
if the offset is ET42 then your stock size tires would stick out 9mm further than stock, and the rim itself would be 15mm further out from the car yet well within the tire's lip...

nyte3k

Ready to race!
no worries; it's a confusing set of things to consider, just wanted to clarify...

if the offset is ET42 then your stock size tires would stick out 9mm further than stock, and the rim itself would be 15mm further out from the car yet well within the tire's lip...

i guess i semi-understand. Wish VW site had more info on their wheels /tires. Could you link to a wheel that would be an identical match to the stock offset?

RiVoT1

Ready to race!

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I believe so yes

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
A lower offset moves the face of the wheel further to the outside of the car, correct?

It moves the face +/- in relation to the rim, which in turn moves the rim of the wheel further in/out on the car. So lower than stock offset makes the rim stick out more.

MikeW

Ready to race!
So, if I were to go from the stocke Denvers (17x7" +51mm offset) to a set of R8 reps (17x7.5" +35mm offset), I'd end up with a goodly amount of poke (22mm), correct?