GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket possibilities

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
The rim will stick out a whole centimeter more with 35mm offset vs 45mm. Just picture it...

Prob not this extreme but you get the idea

That's God damn retarded.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
The rim will stick out a whole centimeter more with 35mm offset vs 45mm. Just picture it...

Prob not this extreme but you get the idea

that's the thing, you're discussing one thing and showing picures of something COMPLETELY different...

that setup has multiple issues - the main one is that the wheel width is WAY too wide for the tires - i will guaranteee you that's not a rim width that's recommended for that tire width. IMHO the wheel diameter is too big as well for this ride; the offset is moving the wheels a bit too far out; and there's certainly rubbing issues... it looks like they're touching the wheel well!

i.e. if this picture were a Mk6 it'd probably be a 19x10" rim wearing 225 width tires and an ET30 offset... a 10mm too low offset does not create this level of "poke".

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Yeah I realize that pic is an exaggerated situation, I'm just trying to illustrate poke

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
That's God damn retarded.

Not exactly the way I'd put it, but I do agree that is completely ridiculous!

It's like someone walking around with their lower lip sticking out all the time like a pouting child.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Let's see if I am understanding this right.

From the info posted in this thread...

I gather from the wheel diagrams, the lower the +ET offset number, the more it sticks out of the wheel well. For instance, +ET32 sticks out more than +ET45 so it would be safe to say +ET32 > +ET45 in terms of poking out of the wheel well more, and the more +ET beyond the stock wheel well placement, the greater chance tire rubbing would occur.

Given this understanding, as far as the optimum (net wheel offset and wheel width) combination goes, starting with my stock Detroit wheel width of 7.5" with a +ET51 as a baseline position in the wheel well, the maximum safe net offset would be 7.5"+32ET, wrapped with a tire size of 225/35/19 or a 225/45/18, in order to avoid the rub. Referece posts: #34 & #38 (posted by lesvw123 in this thread)

So, if these experiences by lesvw123 are true, some combos I see working (to give max *push* outward while not rubbing) are:

1) Combo A: Stock Detroit 18x7.5 +ET51 with a 15 mm spacer yields a net offset of +ET36 < Max Net Offset +ET32. :thumbup:

2) Combo B: 18"/19" x 8" +ET45 yields a net offset of +ET39 < +ET32. :thumbup:

3) Combo C: 18"/19" x 8.5" +ET45 yields a net offset of +ET33 < +ET32. :thumbup:

4) Combo D: 18"/19" x 9" +ET50 yields a net offset of +ET32 = +ET32. :thumbup:

Not working...

1) Combo E: 18"/19"x9" +ET45 yields a net offset of +ET27 > +ET32 :thumbdown:

2) Combo F: 18"/19"x8.5" +ET35 yields a net offset of +ET23 >> +ET32 :thumbdown:

Note: These wheels would be shod with either 225/45/18 or 225/35/19.

I also recognize that if you want to go to a wider tire, say 235 width, then the max net offset would have to be reduced (to again avoid rubbing). For instance, by upsizing to a 235/35/19 wheel+tire, the max net offset of +32ET in the example above would need to be reduced to say +37ET to compensate for the extra tire width.

Thanks lesvw123 for the input on your experiences running different wheel width and offset combos with different tire sizes.

Let me know what specifically I wrote that needs adjustment so we can all learn something.

Disclaimer: I am no expert and will not take any correction/critiquing, personally. ;)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
that's the thing, you're discussing one thing and showing picures of something COMPLETELY different...

that setup has multiple issues - the main one is that the wheel width is WAY too wide for the tires - i will guaranteee you that's not a rim width that's recommended for that tire width. IMHO the wheel diameter is too big as well for this ride; the offset is moving the wheels a bit too far out; and there's certainly rubbing issues... it looks like they're touching the wheel well!

i.e. if this picture were a Mk6 it'd probably be a 19x10" rim wearing 225 width tires and an ET30 offset... a 10mm too low offset does not create this level of "poke".

I see you don't hang out on VWvortex too often.

For what it's worth, that car is bagged - so that's just "show car position". The bags would be inflated for actual driving.

The super narrow tires on wide rims are "stretched" - it's pants-on-head retarded if you ask me, but they do it on purpose.

All I know is I'd be able to drive about 100 yards before those rims would be completely destroyed around here.

I'm actually thinking about picking up some 17" aftermarkets instead of 18s - destroying rims isn't my idea of a good time. 17s = less chance for damage, lighter, cheaper, cheaper tires (granted, heavier tires), better ride, arguably better handling dynamics (due to less unsprung weight). Of course, they don't look as cool, but... meh.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
I see you don't hang out on VWvortex too often.

For what it's worth, that car is bagged - so that's just "show car position". The bags would be inflated for actual driving.

The super narrow tires on wide rims are "stretched" - it's pants-on-head retarded if you ask me, but they do it on purpose.
nope, not much - and now not at all since i can't seem to reset my password :iono:

so yeah, i wasn't familiar with the details of that setup (air bags explains alot) but the point remains that (1) what's in the pic is not very drivable in the position shown (2) the tires are stretched beyond mfg's spec even tho some people do it (3) the pic does not represent the relatively mild level of offset change being discussed in this thread...