GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket possibilities

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
So, if I were to go from the stocke Denvers (17x7" +51mm offset) to a set of R8 reps (17x7.5" +35mm offset), I'd end up with a goodly amount of poke (22mm), correct?
not exactly. you're moving the center of the rim outward by 16mm, which is substantial. that's how much the tire will also come out. within the tire, the rim will come out another 1/4" (6mm) but honestly that's not the big deal part of it.

IMHO worry about rim width vs the size tire you want to wear, don't worry about rim "poke" when considering width.

that being said, if you're that concerned, you should not be considering +35 offset rims, stick with between +45 and +51...

MikeW

Ready to race!
Well, to my mind the denvers on the MK6 could be a little bit more to the outside. The Detroits look just about right from that standpoint. They have 1mm less offset and are 12mm (.5") wider. So, again if I'm doing this right, the rim edge of the Detroit wheel would be 7mm further our than the Denver.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
A +35 offset wheel will look ridiculous.. go +45 if at all possible and stay out of pokeville

lesvw123

Ready to race!
this will help these are 19" bbs ck 8x19 offset et 44 tyres fitted are 225x35 x19 i have plenty of clearance ,i could have got away with 235x35x19 tyres .
its not lowered yet

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Do you have a front or rear shot so we can see the amount of poke down the side?

lesvw123

Ready to race!
this is about the best i have at the moment i will try and get some better pics tomorrow my camera was playing up when i took this

lesvw123

Ready to race!
yes there is plenty of room bbs are a good fit but expensive ,i had r32 replicas fitted before the bbs they where et44 with 235x35 x19 tyres at 81/2 wide and they rubbed on the wheel arches, so be aware copy wheels are sometimes not a good fit

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
looks nice

BuchWash

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered Borbet LS rims ahead and switched out the Denvers when I got the car. Simple 15 spoke castings, very good quality, excellent finish. TireRack is Borbet's distributor for the US. I'm not a big fan of the Hufs either, and the Borbets are only 22#, vs the Huf's 28, not that I'm driving at the level where this slight advantage in unsprung weight counts.

MikeW

Ready to race!
Love the CKs. Would get a set in 18", if I didn't think NYC potholes (and really, more the manholes), wouldn't eat them for lunch and spit out the aluminum bones.

this will help these are 19" bbs ck 8x19 offset et 44 tyres fitted are 225x35 x19 i have plenty of clearance ,i could have got away with 235x35x19 tyres .
its not lowered yet

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
What will most likely happen.

The rim will stick out a whole centimeter more with 35mm offset vs 45mm. Just picture it...

Prob not this extreme but you get the idea

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
those tires are way too small btw

MikeW

Ready to race!
Yup, that's the look I'm going for!!! :eek:P

I meant that I'd probably try to keep the off set to no less the +45.

The rim will stick out a whole centimeter more with 35mm offset vs 45mm. Just picture it...

Prob not this extreme but you get the idea