GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Some camber would probably help but it looks like those are getting overheated. I'd go with a more track oriented tire in the 200tw range.

That's the plan next year, want to try to find some 17"s that clear the factory brakes and go with a dedicated track tire. The way I was hammering into corners the second day when the EBC Yellows started to give out I guarantee they were overheated. Is there much camber adjustment in the factory suspension? I am planning on going with an adjustable setup next year and I kinda need these tires to last at least two more track weekends this year and still have some life for the street.

And now for your amusement, the money shift I did the second day in the first session.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
That's the plan next year, want to try to find some 17"s that clear the factory brakes and go with a dedicated track tire. The way I was hammering into corners the second day when the EBC Yellows started to give out I guarantee they were overheated. Is there much camber adjustment in the factory suspension? I am planning on going with an adjustable setup next year and I kinda need these tires to last at least two more track weekends this year and still have some life for the street.

And now for your amusement, the money shift I did the second day in the first session.

I think you're asking too much from those tires and brake pads. Having seen a brand new set of ebc yellows melt on a track just be careful if you're going to use them. There's no camber adjustment in front factory suspension unfortunately.

Make sure you're checking your pads and tires after every session

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
All right track experts, what's my issue? LOL

Brand new Pirelli P Zero PZ4s, 1000 road miles and 2 track weekends on them and, well, they don't look good.

RIGHT FRONT

It's hard to see but the center tread is worn unevenly, in fact it is almost touching the wearbar!

I was getting pretty decent wear to the edge but not over on the first track weekend at Heartland Park, but this is after a weekend at Hallett Raceway and clearly shows it's not rolling to the edge (like that missing chunk of tread?)

I was checking my pressures after every session and pressures were consistent at 41-42 which is right around where the recommended street pressures should be (street cold for this tire size is 37psi, I set them to 33 cold at the track). But if I am not mistaken this shows the tires are over inflated?

Here is the left front

Those tires are just not suitable for hot lapping on a dry track. They would probably be fine for wet track use, but I recommend a dedicated 200tw track tire if you want something that will hold up in the dry.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think you're asking too much from those tires and brake pads. Having seen a brand new set of ebc yellows melt on a track just be careful if you're going to use them. There's no camber adjustment in front factory suspension unfortunately.

Yeah, both the tires and the pads were decided on as a compromise as I was expecting to still need to drive it to work once a week, and then right after they were installed.......I got a work at home job. I just need them to last for two more weekends this year and then I'll be warrantying the Yellows with FCP and try to sell the new ones to recover some costs. They still have plenty of meat on them, but they are not holding up well on track for sure.

Those tires are just not suitable for hot lapping on a dry track. They would probably be fine for wet track use, but I recommend a dedicated 200tw track tire if you want something that will hold up in the dry.

Roger that.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
All right track experts, what's my issue? LOL

Brand new Pirelli P Zero PZ4s, 1000 road miles and 2 track weekends on them and, well, they don't look good.

RIGHT FRONT

It's hard to see but the center tread is worn unevenly, in fact it is almost touching the wearbar!

I was getting pretty decent wear to the edge but not over on the first track weekend at Heartland Park, but this is after a weekend at Hallett Raceway and clearly shows it's not rolling to the edge (like that missing chunk of tread?)

I was checking my pressures after every session and pressures were consistent at 41-42 which is right around where the recommended street pressures should be (street cold for this tire size is 37psi, I set them to 33 cold at the track). But if I am not mistaken this shows the tires are over inflated?

Here is the left front

Looks like they were overinflated to me, even if 33 cold doesn’t sound that high for a street tire.

Completely different tire but…. I aim for 35 psi hot on my RS4s. Front tires anyway, rears are usually a few PSI less.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
How many of you do your own alignments? I have been using Trackwerks here in Dallas to do my setup but I have been thinking about doing the string method so I can change back and forth from one set up to another.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I prefer the accuracy of a laser measurement system, especially when it comes to the track car. Plus, it's one more thing in my older years and limited time left on this planet that I realize there are many things I CAN do myself, but not things that I HAVE to do myself.

torga

Autocross Champion
Sold my Mk6 (got a great price!!!) and got a C8 Corvette... :(
You could've just driven the Mk6 in reverse. Same great rear engine, RWD as the C8, just a new flavor.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
During track runs what are you all seeing for intake temps once you are at temp? I am running a D088 intercooler and after the first couple laps I only see about 5-8 degree C drop while WOT. Just wondering if I should try a different intercooler or is that about average?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
During track runs what are you all seeing for intake temps once you are at temp? I am running a D088 intercooler and after the first couple laps I only see about 5-8 degree C drop while WOT. Just wondering if I should try a different intercooler or is that about average?
how far above ambient are you when wot?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
So outside temperature was 99 intake temperature at wot was 110 - 115 and saw a max temperature of 132 on non wot sections.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So outside temperature was 99 intake temperature at wot was 110 - 115 and saw a max temperature of 132 on non wot sections.
That sounds about right, I usually see the same amount above ambient with my ie, only way to really get lower will be to spray meth