GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are you planning on any 2.0 TDI Performance Upgrades?

Justboj

Passed Driver's Ed
for those with a unitronic tune: what kind of PSI boost numbers are u getting if u have a boost gauge? stock is pushing out 22-23PSI. I'm just curious on the changes on psi if any?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
While i'm not saying uni or others don't up the boost a little bit, you don't make power with a diesel like you do in a gas car.

sort of think of it as the opposite. With a gas car you up the boost then fuel to match to keep it safe.

With a diesel car you add more fuel then up the boost/airflow to keep it safe.

99% of the power gains from a tune with a diesel application are fuel alone.

Justboj

Passed Driver's Ed
While i'm not saying uni or others don't up the boost a little bit, you don't make power with a diesel like you do in a gas car.

sort of think of it as the opposite. With a gas car you up the boost then fuel to match to keep it safe.

With a diesel car you add more fuel then up the boost/airflow to keep it safe.

99% of the power gains from a tune with a diesel application are fuel alone.

:thumbup: Thanks...

ick

Ready to race!
Not planning on any mods... this week. The car is pretty well sorted at this point but it could stop better. If I do anything further it will be a Bremo big brake kit.

AudiTTim

Ready to race!
getting my downpipe installed as we speak. Got it from RAWTEK. Also, Malone stage 2 has been performed on my ECM. Just need to get the exhaust finished up and put the ecm in and she is ready to rock!

sprytdi

Ready to race!
I've been running MaloneTuning's stage II file for 2 months now. I reccomend this to anyone who will spend 600 dollars on anything for this car this should be first. The car pulls hard to 4500-4800 rpm amd first gear feels 50% longer because of the rev limiter turned off. Honestly the rev limiter really shines in getting a tune for this car because of the short powerband we start with.

Some nitpicks, once the engine gets too hot the power with surge, for example WOT at 3rd gear will be inconsistent and jerky. It will surge and feel like you are taking your foot off and on the gas. So when that happens you can shift earlier and there won't be any surging, it only happens WOT or or prolonged periods of max boost. Keep in mind I do not have a downpipe! With the egr delete and dpf delete the car will not overheat and surge and be capable of more power in the higher rpms.

I believe with an intercooler, intake and downpipe my nitpicks will be corrected.

Alot of the surging that we feel in this car at w.o.t and what not is the TWO E.G.R systems we have incorporated into the exhaust and turbo, you will lose appx 25% power +/-, when both are engaged, and probably will notice when the pre turbo egr shuts on and off, the post turbo egr is almost always engaged when not idling and past tip throttle position if i understood it correctly. The best thing you can do along with the tune is an egr and dpf delete, if you can get away with it.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
I bought the COMPLETE RAWTEK SYSTEM intake to exhaust tips, with malone tune, and i love it!!!!! This car rips now, smoke the tires through second into third if you wanna play with the e brake a little to show off, smoke stock mustang gt's and camaro's till they just give up, i also got the HPA dsg tune, with these modifications happily married to my car it is a completely different BEAST altogether. Yes i said beast, maybe a little dramatic, but thats what you would say too, going from stock to complete tuning and custom exhaust intake dpf delete egr delete hi flow cat and upgrade to 2.75" exhaust in one day, its nothing short of amazing.

Dmitry S

After a few weeks with the APR Tune, I am very happy with the increased driveability and no real drop in MPGs.

I have about 1000 miles on the new tune. I was getting ~37 mpg combined before, and am seeing a bit over 36 mpg now. My driving style has definitely changed, the extra torque is just too much fun. On the freeway, I am still at about ~42 mpg.

The extra torque is spectacular. I have a co-worker with a 2012 GTI Autobahn. After driving my car with the tune, he claims the TDI is faster than a stock GTI to 60.

One thing that has also noticeably changed is engine braking. The stock tune would decelerate much more when coming to a light or coasting on the freeway. It took me a while to get used to, feels a bit more like a gasoline engine now. Small trade-off, but definitely worth it.

Overall, 100% satisfied. Next up, Koni coil-overs and AWE exhaust.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
My avg went up considerably, i used to get 32/40 now i easily achieve 36/45 and can get 50+
Before if i pounded it all day i would get 24-28 that hasnt changed, but im talkin really beating on it. I did alot more to my car than an ecu tune tune though. And my tdi is way faster than a stock gti!:thumbsup: i would like to see how it stacked up against a tuned gti

YeahBuddy

Go Kart Champion
Way to go man! I want to do this eventually. My car is almost cosmetically modded. Then it's "beast" time for me too.

I will most likely get a mid-pipe and straight pipe exhaust custom made, but the malone stage 2 + RAWTEK Downpipe is the way to go man!

Naoki

Ready to race!
Does it effect your overall mpg at all?

I definitely drive the car a bit harder because its so fun now but I have done a few tanks where I babied it and saw an average drop of 2 MPGs. I was getting combined 40 mpgs and now I'm around 38. But in my opinion, completely worth it. :thumbsup:

sprytdi

Ready to race!
I definitely drive the car a bit harder because its so fun now but I have done a few tanks where I babied it and saw an average drop of 2 MPGs. I was getting combined 40 mpgs and now I'm around 38. But in my opinion, completely worth it. :thumbsup:

2 things
1- if you dont have the dsg tuned, it actually has the ability to limit the power of the engine or effectively the dsg can momentarily "detune the ecm" whenever the tq exceeds factory spec, so this will affect mpg as well as not allow you to feel the full potential of your tune
2- you will definitely pick up those mpg's if you remove the post turbo restrictions(egr dpf trade out the stock cat for hi flo cat) also since it is tuned, if you dont have an inrake yet, that will help too but only if done in conjunction with the exhaust side upgrades.
All to often people forget to look at this stuff as "science of engineering" the manufacturer engineered this as a system, if a person wants to mod any part, really they need to look at the whole, its all complimentary.

Naoki

Ready to race!
2 things
1- if you dont have the dsg tuned, it actually has the ability to limit the power of the engine or effectively the dsg can momentarily "detune the ecm" whenever the tq exceeds factory spec, so this will affect mpg as well as not allow you to feel the full potential of your tune
2- you will definitely pick up those mpg's if you remove the post turbo restrictions(egr dpf trade out the stock cat for hi flo cat) also since it is tuned, if you dont have an inrake yet, that will help too but only if done in conjunction with the exhaust side upgrades.
All to often people forget to look at this stuff as "science of engineering" the manufacturer engineered this as a system, if a person wants to mod any part, really they need to look at the whole, its all complimentary.

Cool man thanks for the info. I have a manual so the DSG part isn't an issue. I have been looking for an intake. I just posted a new thread trying to get feedback on intakes. And I'll most likely go with the AWE exhaust and Rawtek downpipe. Thanks again. That should definitely show some notable increases in power and possibly mpg?

sprytdi

Ready to race!
Sortof? I took it to my local shop so it was on a lift, and i got my hands dirty, but they did most of the work, it was really straight forward though. If you can turn a wrench you can do it. There were a couple spots that were difficult to get your hand into, but for the most part it just comes right out. I cant say what it'd be like to pull it on your back, with the car on stands? The removal/install was appx 300 in labor costs, it was worth it imo. The downpipe bolt were the most difficult part, they were tight!