GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
People are getting stupid money for the tdi buybacks...can't wait til we start get some fixes rolling in, it's effing slow and ineedmoney

hawk1

Ready to race!
I just kept going until it fit right. Don't trim where it attaches to the TOP, but trim where it attaches to the compressor housing, and both DV connections. I took probably an inch off each of those. Then push it up onto the compressor housing as far as you can while you tighten the clamp.

Only part that sucks is the DV is pretty much wedged in there. I actually just ordered some parts to block both ports for the DV on those hoses and move my Synapse valve up to the throttle body pipe to get it out of there.

Thanks, trimmed about 3/4 to 1" off on Sunday. Seemed to be good, will check again today or tomorrow.

runnin9z1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys Should be putting the engine back in the car this week. Any advice?

When it came out the head was off and the block dripped out the bottom. What do you guys recommend to get it back in. Through the top or bottom?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Not sure why people take the front end off to remove the motor. It's much easier to remove it straight out the bottom.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Not sure why people take the front end off to remove the motor. It's much easier to remove it straight out the bottom.

Personally I like the extra room and the fact that you don't have to worry about scuffing the bumper while leaning over it or damaging the radiator if the motor swings forward. But we all have our own preferences and methods of doing things :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
On jack stands? Or a lift? Haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On a lift out the bottom. On jackstands out the top. You need to take the trans out to take it out the top, but you would eventually need to anyway. Removing the front end just seems like an ass ton of extra work.

It seems to be a theme for VW people to remove the front end. I've removed a LOT of VW motors and never removed a front end. But I guess whatever is easier for the person doing the work :thumbsup:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
On a lift out the bottom. On jackstands out the top. You need to take the trans out to take it out the top, but you would eventually need to anyway. Removing the front end just seems like an ass ton of extra work.

It seems to be a theme for VW people to remove the front end. I've removed a LOT of VW motors and never removed a front end. But I guess whatever is easier for the person doing the work :thumbsup:

I think it may also be because you can, in any of the Hondas, Mazdas, DSM I've ever worked on the front end doesn't just unbolt like it does on the VW. But like you said whatever works for who is doing the work [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
My garage is terrible for top or bottom, lol. Has a 7ft high beam center of the car so stands only and I put a towel to protect the hood. Unfortuately will be going throught the front trans and all but I do agree bottom is the easiest. Trans is a very tight squeeze and pretty positive new won't come out or go in seperate

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i was going to say pull the front as well. remove bumper and a few bolts to the support it just swings out of the way. it's a lot easier to remove/reinstall the sensor wiring that way too.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
i was going to say pull the front as well. remove bumper and a few bolts to the support it just swings out of the way. it's a lot easier to remove/reinstall the sensor wiring that way too.

Is you garage ceiling tall enough for a lift? from photos seems pretty tall, nice 2 post would be pretty BA for at home

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
With a lift every engine comes out the bottom. NO lift, take that front end off...we're talking an hour of work.