GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Anyone have experience wetsanding to fix uneven orange peel? The passenger side has way more because of some deer damage that I had to get repaired. It drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anyone have experience wetsanding to fix uneven orange peel? The passenger side has way more because of some deer damage that I had to get repaired. It drives me nuts.

chrisfix has a good video on small body repair that includes fixing paint afterward... if i had time id link you.

i have some minor orange peel on the a-pillar down by the hood. and my jeep has a few spots but not fixing that because beater

Phur

Autocross Champion
Thanks Will!

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

What kind of polisher do you have? I would try an aggressive compound like Megs 105 with a microfiber cutting pad.

Phur

Autocross Champion
What kind of polisher do you have? I would try an aggressive compound like Megs 105 with a microfiber cutting pad.

It’s a harbor freight 6” DA. I’ve seen some videos that claimed using wetsanding with a block is more effective at removing orange peel while preserving as much clear as possible because it will only remove the “hills” When you use an aggressive compound it will work the contours of the orange peel and be removing from the hills and valleys instead of just the hills.

Another added benefit of wetsanding is you can tell when it’s out because it will all look dull. (The valleys, not being touched, would remain glossy) I do still have concern with removing too much.

This sounds right to me, thoughts? It sounds like you know your way around.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I also want to add, it’s not terrible. I’m just that anal.
[emoji16]

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
It’s a harbor freight 6” DA. I’ve seen some videos that claimed using wetsanding with a block is more effective at removing orange peel while preserving as much clear as possible because it will only remove the “hills” When you use an aggressive compound it will work the contours of the orange peel and be removing from the hills and valleys instead of just the hills.

Another added benefit of wetsanding is you can tell when it’s out because it will all look dull. (The valleys, not being touched, would remain glossy) I do still have concern with removing too much.

This sounds right to me, thoughts? It sounds like you know your way around.

I have not tried wet sanding on the actual car. I agree with you about being worried about removing too much clear coat. I've wet sanded when painting my side markers, but that's no big deal, if you fuck up you can just repaint them.
I would check the detailing forums and see what they have to say.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I just drove my car. It's wonky but not as wonky as I thought. Corner balance and alignment this Thursday. I haven't been this excited in a long time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mah Jay.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
So do we get to see it this Thursday?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
I just drove my car. It's wonky but not as wonky as I thought. Corner balance and alignment this Thursday. I haven't been this excited in a long time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

:clap:

Phur

Autocross Champion
I’m stoked for you Jay! Long time coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.