GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fumoto Valve

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Not a single drip here, no seeping, nothing. Yes it does take a little while longer to drain but that's ok.

Awesome, thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

Don't mind that it takes longer to drain at all.

I think one of the reviewers said they incurred a leak/drip with the valve because they tightened the valve with a regular wrench (and it was too loose). Did you use torque wrench? If so, what are the specs again?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

Don't mind that it takes longer to drain at all.

I think one of the reviewers said they incurred a leak/drip with the valve because they tightened the valve with a regular wrench. Did you use torque wrench? If so, what are the specs again?

I started it by hand to make sure it wasn't cross-threaded or anything and tightened till snug, then finished it with a wrench till tight (which also ended up being the perfect 12 to 6 o'clock position). Not sure how you could get a torque wrench on it since the end has an odd shape to it, plus I got the model with the nipple end. Very happy with it. Had the ECS magnetic plug, dripped like crazy.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
I started it by hand to make sure it wasn't cross-threaded or anything and tightened till snug, then finished it with a wrench till tight (which also ended up being the perfect 12 to 6 o'clock position). Not sure how you could get a torque wrench on it since the end has an odd shape to it, plus I got the model with the nipple end. Very happy with it. Had the ECS magnetic plug, dripped like crazy.

This is how you get a torque wrench on it, hahhaha! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9onqBjLlw

Coincidentally, I purchased the ECS magnetic plug (before getting the Fumoto Valve, and BEFORE seeing reviews on the magnetic plug). Read reviews, and out of fear of a leak, decided to not even install it when I'm due for an oil change, and decided to go the Fumoto route.

But yeah, anyway thanks for the tips!! :)

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
This is how you get a torque wrench on it, hahhaha! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9onqBjLlw

Coincidentally, I purchased the ECS magnetic plug (before getting the Fumoto Valve, and BEFORE seeing reviews on the magnetic plug). Read reviews, and out of fear of a leak, decided to not even install it when I'm due for an oil change, and decided to go the Fumoto route.

But yeah, anyway thanks for the tips!! :)

HAHA... I see! Thats a neat little attachment for the torque wrench, never saw those before. Just have to keep in mind that since the nut you are now tightening is offset from the center axis of the original (the torque wrench) that your torque number is now off a bit. Not that it matters when talking about a few ft lbs and a drain plug though.

Anyways, yeah the ECS magnetic plug didn't work out so well. The pan and threads are molded out of tracing paper it seems, nice to think that the plug will never have to be removed again! :thumbsup:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here using a Fumoto Valve?

Was looking at putting one on my MK VI.

I have used it for all my other cars and love it.

If I put it on the MK VI, I can change the oil without using ramps or jacking the car up.

So who has one so far?

I had one on my GTI, I thought it was great, no complaints.

goose1

Ready to race!
Anyone with a Fumoto valve have a skid plate? I was thinking of getting a panzer plate and am wondering if it will clear with the nipple.

sent via carrier potato

rpandresen

Ready to race!
Installed mine 6 months ago. No drips at all. Just did my first oil change with it. Hands down the best thing I've ever bought for my car.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Update (*EDITED*):

Be extremely cautious when deciding whether or not to use a Fumoto Valve if your car is lowered at all (even if it is barely a half inch lower than stock height). Despite the valve extending below the bottom of the oil pan only another half inch, It is VERY easy to scrape this thing on something. If the valve scrapes, it can come loose even if torqued tightly and according to spec (as did in my case).

I am speaking from experience.

This is a quality product, but not meant or safe for vehicles with low clearance (whether its stock height or modified).

Last edited:

Jaber

Modero
Update:

I Highly, HIGHLY recommend NOT using a Fumoto Valve if your car is lowered at all (even if it is barely a half inch lower than stock height). Despite the valve extending below the bottom of the oil pan only another half inch, It is VERY easy to scrape this thing on something, and if/when that happens.... you will be very very sorry you ever thought about using this device.

I am speaking from experience.

This is a quality product, but not meant or safe for vehicles with low clearance (whether its stock height or modified).

You're the first I've seen say this.

What's you're story? This statement is as bad as someone leaving a reviewing saying "it sucks".

Details my friend. Details.

Local here has one and lowered on DG. Driving streets of Chicago. No issues.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
You're the first I've seen say this.

What's you're story? This statement is as bad as someone leaving a reviewing saying "it sucks".

Details my friend. Details.

Local here has one and lowered on DG. Driving streets of Chicago. No issues.

It's a great product, it's just NOT meant for lowered vehicle: I was at 25ftg at the time (not significantly low), and scraped a high curb/speed bump at slow speed. It wasn't even a hard scrape... so light I actually didn't think it was anything at first. It hit the Fumoto Valve, making it lose it's torque. Over the course of the day, the valve became looser and looser, leaking oil here and there. By the end of the night, I was running on an extremely low amount of oil apparently. Ultimately resulted in me getting my motor replaced, because of the massive oil leak.

Again, this product is great, just now for vehicles with low ground clearance. That extra half inch the valve protrudes below the bottom of a drain pan DOES make a difference, despite what some members may say.

I am posting this as a public service announcement, so someone doesn't make the same mistake I did.

Jaber

Modero
It's a great product, it's just NOT meant for lowered vehicle: I was at 25ftg at the time (not significantly low), and scraped a high curb/speed bump at slow speed. It wasn't even a hard scrape... so light I actually didn't think it was anything at first. It hit the Fumoto Valve, making it lose it's torque. Over the course of the day, the valve became looser and looser, leaking oil here and there. By the end of the night, I was running on an extremely low amount of oil apparently. Ultimately resulted in me getting my motor replaced, because of the massive oil leak.

Again, this product is great, just now for vehicles with low ground clearance. That extra half inch the valve protrudes below the bottom of a drain pan DOES make a difference, despite what some members may say.

I am posting this as a public service announcement, so someone doesn't make the same mistake I did.

You didn't have this one did you?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431559497.031567.jpg

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
You didn't have this one did you?

View attachment 48766

Nope, had the regular one w/out nipple.

Ironically, I avoided the nipple version precisely because of contact/scraping concerns, heh. I assure you that when it comes to speed bumps, curbs, or anything in general that my car passes over, I am very careful. LA roads are pretty treacherous though: pot holes, raised pavement from tree roots and earthquakes, speed bumps and weird curbs galore.

It's just very risky to have the valve on a lowered vehicle; I would definitely buy a Fumoto Valve again for a truck or SUV in the future.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Not a significant hit, as you can (hopefully) tell from the pic. But it was enough to loosen the torque. By the time I had gotten under the car, it only took 1 hand turn to remove the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk