GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How can I tell if my cars running lean?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Have to log your AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) The higher the number the richer you are.. and vice versa.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Have to log your AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) The higher the number the richer you are.. and vice versa.

The higher the AFR the leaner you are. 14.7 (14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel) is stoich, or what your car should be achieving while idling.

Once under boost your AFR should be in the 10-12.5 range depending on your tune. Anything above 12 under boost I would consider lean. Anything below 10 I would consider extremely rich.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

mk6gti!

Passed Driver's Ed
But that changes depending on the tune right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
My honest answer is you aren't going to. The way these ecus work it will prevent you from running lean. If the car deviates too far from the requested AF of the tuner it will pull boost, it will open the DV and finally just slam the throttle shut.

You have a wideband O2 sensor stock and the ecu can react faster then you can to looking at a gauge or a log to back out. Pretty much you wouldn't even get a chance to notice it was lean because the ecu would have already corrected it for you.

VgRt6

Ready to race!
Measuring Block 032 for the Engine control module. Field 1 is the additive fuel trim (trim at idle). Field 2 is the multiplicative fuel trim (trim at elevated engine speeds). Both will be a % adjustment from stoichometric.

zrickety

The Fixer
You'll get a CEL/MIL if it's running lean, and even then it might not be true.