GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
ProMeth sucks, I'll avoid them going forward. Ordered new nozzles and nozzle holders July 8, no updates since and now they said they can't find my order...but took the money on July 8. Driving without meth the car feels neutered.

I'm bored at home thinking of things I can do to this thing. Plan was to get a trailer and cage it along with seats/harness but I'm not sure that's in the cards for the near future. All said and done it's going to be about $10k. I've been really enjoying it driving on the street lately even though it's rowdy and uncomfortable. Looking over the car I don't think there's anything left to do to it. I'm happy with the power, not interested in building the motor or trans. Hmmmph. Have I run out of things to do?
NOS

riceburner

Autocross Champion
oh noes! well now you know what to upgrade next?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
you sure it wasn't a meth malfunction?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
telling you man! i've had setups on 3 cars and it was nothing but issues for me, despite my best efforts.
clogged nozzles
leaks
issues finding exact flow rate and making it happen
nozzles not properly atomizing the meth resulting in pooling in the intake tract
controller straight FAILED by just staying on full spray during no throttle for no reason and almost siezed my engine.
also hated having a tank in the trunk, it would make the car smell like meth which is NOT a good thing to be smelling
price, mixing meth, etc it just kinda sucked for me.

dat temps though.
I see and hear all your complaints/frustrations which are common and there is scant info on how to properly install/design and dial in a water meth system. However when done right it works very well and other than checking for leaks and filling tank, pretty much problem free.

I have used meth on 4 cars since 2001 on number of cars (2001 twin turbo Audi, 2004 supercharged GTO, built MKV GTI and a supercharged 2000 Corvette. Only once I had contaminated mix container that I did not clean out before using. It was new and I should have washed it. There was either powder or residue of something and it plugged everything up. Only time I have had that happen. When using only filtered but not distilled water I found that over a long period of time I would get calcium build up. Once I switched to actual distilled water I have not had that problem.

Note about Methanol - it is highly volatile (gets into the air quickly) and has no smell and is toxic like most fuels. If I mount a tank in the shared air space of the cabin ( trunk or back of hatchback) I always vent tank to the outside. Because it has no smell you can be breathing it in and not know it.

On my MKV GTI. I ran 91 octane in tank and water meth. And with this I was able to run a 100octane tune daily for the 4 years I had the car in that config, with zero timing being pulled. That was a Snow system with 2-225ml nozzles and 50/50 mix.

The approach I take to dialing in is to look at timing being pulled (log a 4th pull). And start adding methanol at the rpms needed until all are zero. You only want just enough so you have to creep up on it using timing as your gauge. Too much and zero pull but you are quenching the ignition in the cylinder and losing power.

I have a number of tips on how to setup a system successfully, avoid all the issues mentioned which are common complaints and would be happy to help anyone interested. Just pm me

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I never really did play with different nozzle sizes when I installed it but I have a strong feeling I wasn't doing it's justice. Had a 175ml nozzle in the throttle body pipe, and 75 in throttle body spacer. ProMeth makes it a little confusing because they measure different than snow, but this should be equal to a 225ml and 175ml (I hope)
SmartSelect_20220719-104932_Chrome.jpg

I did plenty of research on routing the lines and installing solenoids in the right location which I attribute to why it's been fairly hassle free.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I see and hear all your complaints/frustrations which are common and there is scant info on how to properly install/design and dial in a water meth system. However when done right it works very well and other than checking for leaks and filling tank, pretty much problem free.

I have used meth on 4 cars since 2001 on number of cars (2001 twin turbo Audi, 2004 supercharged GTO, built MKV GTI and a supercharged 2000 Corvette. Only once I had contaminated mix container that I did not clean out before using. It was new and I should have washed it. There was either powder or residue of something and it plugged everything up. Only time I have had that happen. When using only filtered but not distilled water I found that over a long period of time I would get calcium build up. Once I switched to actual distilled water I have not had that problem.

Note about Methanol - it is highly volatile (gets into the air quickly) and has no smell and is toxic like most fuels. If I mount a tank in the shared air space of the cabin ( trunk or back of hatchback) I always vent tank to the outside. Because it has no smell you can be breathing it in and not know it.

On my MKV GTI. I ran 91 octane in tank and water meth. And with this I was able to run a 100octane tune daily for the 4 years I had the car in that config, with zero timing being pulled. That was a Snow system with 2-225ml nozzles and 50/50 mix.

The approach I take to dialing in is to look at timing being pulled (log a 4th pull). And start adding methanol at the rpms needed until all are zero. You only want just enough so you have to creep up on it using timing as your gauge. Too much and zero pull but you are quenching the ignition in the cylinder and losing power.

I have a number of tips on how to setup a system successfully, avoid all the issues mentioned which are common complaints and would be happy to help anyone interested. Just pm me
great tips! Thanks dude. Maybe next time i feel like blowing $1000 i'll revisit this lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I never really did play with different nozzle sizes when I installed it but I have a strong feeling I wasn't doing it's justice. Had a 175ml nozzle in the throttle body pipe, and 75 in throttle body spacer. ProMeth makes it a little confusing because they measure different than snow, but this should be equal to a 225ml and 175ml (I hope)
View attachment 255733

I did plenty of research on routing the lines and installing solenoids in the right location which I attribute to why it's been fairly hassle free.
  • I used (2) 225ml jets, they are rated at that flow (4.0 gal per hour) based on 100psi pump pressure.
  • One nozzle in throttle body plate
  • One nozzle just after intercooler
  • The Snow system I used had a progressive controller (adjusts voltage to pump) and it used a 300psi pump (full voltage)
  • I did not run an APR tune but something very similar and I used the 100 octane map with 91 octane in the gas tank.
  • 50/50 mix of distilled water and VP M1 (you can also adjust mix if needed to achieve zero knock goal.
  • I used checkvalve or solenoid right at each nozzle
  • Solenoid right after tank - to prevent gravity flow leaks
  • Ideally use -AN if using push to connect only wide loops to change direction of tubing (tight turns will cause leaks at fittings)
  • Push to connect - best to use tubing cutter to get sharp 90 degree cuts or fresh razor blade
  • Having one nozzle placed after throttle body is crucial if you are trying to run 100oct map with 91 in the tank.

If you are running the APR 100oct map it is quite aggressive as well and you would do well to start out where I did.
Looking at the ProMeth flow charts you would want something close to 200-225ml of flow at 100 psi. Looking at your nozzle selection and if I read their charts correctly you are well under what you need. I am assuming the ProMeth system uses the same 300 psi pump most systems use today.

All the above is trying to get the most out of water meth so if you are not trying to do that your nozzle selection would be quite different if you are running 91 or 93 map. You can use w/m just to keep things cool during summer and avoid usual power loss in hot weather etc. And you would not need a throttle body plate and you might not need more than one nozzle.

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
  • I used (2) 225ml jets, they are rated at that flow (4.0 gal per hour) based on 100psi pump pressure.
  • One nozzle in throttle body plate
  • One nozzle just after intercooler
  • The Snow system I used had a progressive controller (adjusts voltage to pump) and it used a 300psi pump (full voltage)
  • I did not run an APR tune but something very similar and I used the 100 octane map with 91 octane in the gas tank.
  • 50/50 mix of distilled water and VP M1 (you can also adjust mix if needed to achieve zero knock goal.
  • I used checkvalve or solenoid right at each nozzle
  • Solenoid right after tank - to prevent gravity flow leaks
  • Ideally use -AN if using push to connect only wide loops to change direction of tubing (tight turns will cause leaks at fittings)
  • Push to connect - best to use tubing cutter to get sharp 90 degree cuts or fresh razor blade
  • Having one nozzle placed after throttle body is crucial if you are trying to run 100oct map with 91 in the tank.

If you are running the APR 100oct map it is quite aggressive as well and you would do well to start out where I did.
Looking at the ProMeth flow charts you would want something close to 200-225ml of flow at 100 psi. Looking at your nozzle selection and if I read their charts correctly you are well under what you need. I am assuming the ProMeth system uses the same 300 psi pump most systems use today.

All the above is trying to get the most out of water meth so if you are not trying to do that your nozzle selection would be quite different if you are running 91 or 93 map. You can use w/m just to keep things cool during summer and avoid usual power loss in hot weather etc. And you would not need a throttle body plate and you might not need more than one nozzle.
Thanks for the info, Ill probably order some larger nozzles to play with and run some logs soon. I run a 93 map, with 93 pump gas using 50/50 VP M1. It's a snow system, but their nozzles are back ordered so I went with ProMeth. Although I finally just talked to them and they're on back order too so that sucks.