GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

zrickety

The Fixer
Well my car won't start. Really weird, I noticed occasionally on warm starts it was wanting to die until I blip the throttle which leads me to suspect fueling. Then it just wouldn't start at all. I ordered both lpfp and hpfp along with a new fuel filter. Injectors are new so I'm ruling that out unless I got a bad batch. I pulled the spark plugs to inspect them and they looked fine ~6k miles on them. Of course my dumbass dropped one of them on the ground so I ordered new plugs too. Hopefully it solves that. About $600 for both fuel pumps, filter, coils and plugs 😭
My money is on the lpfp. Thoughts and prayers homie.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
bummer news man! i'm not ever much help but always a few sanity checks to run:
* all fuses related to the ecm, pumps, etc
* guessing you tried using vcds to ensure the ecu is giving you signals atleast, anything wierd there? starting fuel pressure etc? It cranks just doesn't turn over?
* you're catless DP right? i.e., you didn't clog your cat with meth?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Slacking on updates so I'll post this here as well. Rice yeah I'm catless so it's not clogged. Fuses were all checked as well.

Alright so this summer I noticed the car chugging slightly when it was warm, not full operating temp. Figured the low pressure pump was starting to show signs of needing replacement as that's what it does. I finished a track day in late september and drove it a few times after, everything was fine. One day I wanted to go for a drive and it was cranking but not starting, seemed like it wasn't getting fuel. Figured at 90k miles and a shitload of tracking I'd just replace both fuel pumps. Ordered new coil packs and spark plugs because why not, the coil packs had 18k miles, spark plugs only a few hundred but meh. So I threw the spark plugs in, coil packs first because that's the low hanging fruit but that didn't do it. I should also mention all 4 injectors were replaced and only have a few hundred miles on them if that. So next I replaced low pressure pump, and high pressure pump. Still seems like it's not getting fuel. Next I pulled the plugs and did a compression test - have compression in all 4. After that I tested to see if I was getting spark by grounding the spark plugs with them out and connected to the coil packs, tried starting it and I can see I'm getting spark on all 4. I can smell gas coming from inside from trying to start it so I disconnect the fuel rail and turn it over a bit to shoot the gas out thinking I flooded it. After some digging I decide to replace the fuel sender unit on the low pressure pump, reset the ecu by connecting the positive and negative cables together for about 20 mins. It started on the first try and stayed running for about 15 seconds, and was running normally which rules out any timing concerns, then it died again and won't restart. I'm not getting any codes either. At this point I'm thinking it's a wiring issue somewhere, possibly a crank position sensor, or camshaft position sensor.

TLDR:
Crank no start - no codes other than misfires.
Injectors are new
Replaced spark plugs/coil packs
Replaced low pressure fuel pump
Replaced high pressure fuel pump
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced sender unit for low pressure fuel pump
Car has compression on all 4
Car is getting spark on all 4
Tried a different battery
Bad gas is unlikely because it was driven for a while without problems and I only use shell 93

zrickety

The Fixer
A relay??

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
..... It started on the first try and stayed running for about 15 seconds, and was running normally which rules out any timing concerns, then it died again and won't restart. I'm not getting any codes either. At this point I'm thinking it's a wiring issue somewhere, possibly a crank position sensor, or camshaft position sensor.

TLDR:
Crank no start - no codes other than misfires.
Injectors are new
Replaced spark plugs/coil packs
Replaced low pressure fuel pump
Replaced high pressure fuel pump
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced sender unit for low pressure fuel pump
Car has compression on all 4
Car is getting spark on all 4
Tried a different battery
Bad gas is unlikely because it was driven for a while without problems and I only use shell 93
I don't see it listed, but have you looked into the LPFP control module? I've had this same thing happen, twice. Both, times the car would start, run for a handful of seconds and turn off. Would not restart, and no codes. After it sat for a bit I could get the car to do the same thing, start, run, die, no more start. The most recently revised one hasn't left me stranded... yet. lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I don't see it listed, but have you looked into the LPFP control module? I've had this same thing happen, twice. Both, times the car would start, run for a handful of seconds and turn off. Would not restart, and no codes. After it sat for a bit I could get the car to do the same thing, start, run, die, no more start. The most recently revised one hasn't left me stranded... yet. lol
Yeah I replaced that, I called it the sender unit - same thing

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Will it start with starter fluid?

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm seeing a lot of fuel filter fixed this threads, and one bad ECM in my searches.
Did you change the filter before or after this happened?

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Did it died

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Could it be your tune somehow?

zrickety

The Fixer

zrickety

The Fixer
Hunting for a wiring diagram. @zrickety I'm not ruling anything out but I'm curious why you think ecu? I've never heard of them just dying one day like this.
Bro, when my mk6 was new, my friend owned the car and brought it to APR. It needed a new ecu right after that and they ate the cost. I've read of a few failures, but it's not as common as water pumps and chain tensioners.