GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

neuspeed vs autotech insert?

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I didn't find physical vibrations to be that much of an issue with the autotech, it was more the low frecuency sound vibrations the engine made at very low rpms in 1st and reverse, it felt like my ears were going to explode, that said, the car does shift better with the insert

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
so since I have a DSG then I will not see much advantage?

That's MY take on it

The DSG shifts so fast that the engine won't rock as much as compared to a manual car (because the engine will rock back when you put the clutch in & change gears on a manual)....if that makes sense

Also, with the insert (on a manual trans)....the shifts feel sooo much better/positive when changing gears since the "slop" is gone. You won't get that same experience with the DSG though, obviously

Somebody posted this about the BSH insert though:
Originally Posted by Dybz
Let me start off by saying: I have tried the other torque mount inserts available for the TSI from Neuspeed and BFI and they were removed shortly after being installed. I simply could not stand the vibrations the inserts caused both with/without the BSH pendulum mount. The BFI insert was in there for well over a month, so I believe ample time was given for a "break-in" period. Now don't get me wrong, both inserts did a fantastic job of eliminating the drivetrain slop during shifts and at launch, but they were simply not for me. I believe part of the problem is the way the DSG is constantly "loaded" even during idle. This caused vibrations even when waiting for a red light. 6-spd cars won't have this at idle vibration, so I'ld imagine the inserts are easier to deal with. (Note: BFI changed the durameter of their inserts from 98a to 90a since I purchased mine, so this may have eliminated some of the issues I was having)

Now onto the new mount/insert. I was a little skeptical of the new BSH insert as I did not believe that even a 77a durameter insert was soft enough to reduce the vibrations enough for me. I was wrong. From the get-go, even before any break-in period, the vibrations were tolerable, and the drivetrain slop was eliminated.

The install itself was just like any other torque insert install. Take out the old OEM mount, put in the new mount, line up the insert, apply elbow grease, bust out the jack if necessary, and then just put all the bolts in.

I took it out for a spin right away, and although the car did vibrate a bit more than I wanted, but it went away as the car warmed up. Even after the car has warmed up you still feel a light vibration caused by the engine, but it's not excessive. It's more of a reassuring feeling that the engine is still running. The hatch no longer tries to shake itself free of the rest of the car, and the vibrations no longer set off a string of secondary rattles.

As soon as you start off, the vibrations go away, and all you get is an improved, happier drivetrain. Even with the DSG, you immediately notice a reduction in engine movement between shifts, especially under heavy load at low RPMs. When you really get on the throttle, the shifts are immediate and any lurching between shifts has been eliminated. Particularly noticeable improvements are seen on downshifts. My car used to stumble shifting from 3->2 or 2->1. Now the transition is much smoother.

I did have a chance to take the car out on some back country roads this past Monday, and I was loving how crisp the shifts felt on the twisties. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to take the car out and really flog it due to the wet roads/snow, but as soon as I get a chance I'll post an update on my impressions.

dennybak

Ready to race!
the 98a bfi insert was a little stiff for the average person and bfi did a great job with the 90a...vibrations aren't really even noticeable with a mt
yeah i just put mine on and i seriously thought it was going to be more agressive. I wish they kept the 98a. oh well its pretty nice none the less. I really dont feel a vibration difference either. =)

rhino

Ready to race!
yeah i just put mine on and i seriously thought it was going to be more agressive. I wish they kept the 98a. oh well its pretty nice none the less. I really dont feel a vibration difference either. =)

when you went to put it in did you have any problems sliding it in? i guess you have to use lube when you do this? this sounds wrong but its a serious question. haha

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
when you went to put it in did you have any problems sliding it in? i guess you have to use lube when you do this? this sounds wrong but its a serious question. haha

It does take some lube and a little force to slide it in there