GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

quattrosaint

I have a different sound, I searched but cant seam to find exactly the same sound. Its more of a pulse/knock sound. No mods, 2012, 37K miles and a 6MT. Maybe its normal, my first gen A4 FSI would make some weird sounds.

Laimface

Ready to race!
I have a different sound, I searched but cant seam to find exactly the same sound. Its more of a pulse/knock sound. No mods, 2012, 37K miles and a 6MT. Maybe its normal, my first gen A4 FSI would make some weird sounds.

I have a knocking / rumble sound coming from the gearbox side on idle. My TOB squeals when the car is cold for a couple of releases so it's probably that.

Decent

So basically everything is put on hold right now while VW reviews my case to see if they will help me out at all. Basically were at the point now where I have to decide to scrap the engine or to do a full tensioner/chain replacement to get the car back to proper timing specs to figure out if there is more damage. If at that point we find out a rod bent I basically paid for the tensioner job for no reason as the next best financial solution would be to just drop a used engine in the car. My other option would be to tear down the engine to find out if a rod bent or if there is other damage. If there is no other damange, or a limited amount that could be fixed, I would still have to do the chain tensioner job anyways and the labour on the tear down and rebuild would have been for nothing.

When I dropped the car off it was still able to start and drive so that is my only hope that all it would need is a new tensioner and chain replacement and it would be fine, but if it isn't that is a lot of money wasted. I'm really not sure what to do so I will just have to wait and see what VW says. I suspect they won't do anything for me at which point I may just strip and sell the entire car and buy a cheap beater to use for the next year or so until I buy a new car.

Any update on this? I am in this EXACT situation right now with my 2012, 83k miles. They're reviewing my case as well, but I'm not too optimistic about it. Wish I had found this forum/thread sooner.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
My tensioner went out last night. Cranked it up, sounded as if the timing was wrong, low idle, very rough, cel flashing. Drove half a mile to a gas station to check oil, and when I cut the engine, there was a very loud "relief" of pressure in the engine, and would no longer start at all. Towed to VW today, thankfully a very mod friendly dealership, and as I thouget, it is the tensioner. 124k miles, but thankfully have a third party warranty covering any moving drive train components. The tensioner, chain, head, valves, etc all are damaged though

Whats the build date on your car?

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Any update on this? I am in this EXACT situation right now with my 2012, 83k miles. They're reviewing my case as well, but I'm not too optimistic about it. Wish I had found this forum/thread sooner.

they offered to pay for 30% to replace all of the timing components but if the engine is done they wont do fuck all. Last VW I will ever own.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 158k and will probably do this service soon (I'm sure I have the old tensioner). A few weeks ago the car tried to start, died, and then I heard a bunch of chain rattling. I was like, "Uh oh, this thing is done". Tried again and the car started no problem and has been for the last few weeks.

Took it to the shop and they said they didn't hear any rattling when they took a listen. Better to be safe than sorry though, so I'm going to change mine out soon. I've been lucky so far with the car given that I have so many miles on it (I'm also on the original water pump, which I guess makes my car the unicorn of GTI's :)).

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I'm at 158k and will probably do this service soon (I'm sure I have the old tensioner). A few weeks ago the car tried to start, died, and then I heard a bunch of chain rattling. I was like, "Uh oh, this thing is done". Tried again and the car started no problem and has been for the last few weeks.

Took it to the shop and they said they didn't hear any rattling when they took a listen. Better to be safe than sorry though, so I'm going to change mine out soon. I've been lucky so far with the car given that I have so many miles on it (I'm also on the original water pump, which I guess makes my car the unicorn of GTI's :)).

Oh boy you better get that done man. You're playing with fire.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
What dealership are you using?

the dealership won't be doing any work on the car. It was at bramgate VW who actually went to bat for me and showed me the letter they sent to VW of Canada to try and get them to cover the work.

the 30% savings means nothing because I can save that by having the work done at an indi shop so im pulling it from the dealership.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Hi everyone! I have a Seat Leon 2.0 TSI (CCZB engine, same as on some GTIs afaik), and on 65000km have this diesel sound noticed by one of the fellow mechanics. Is it THE tensioner preparing to kill the engine? I recorded the sound here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGgwLpWYAtg). TO me, it always sounded like that, but this thread scared me...

Sounds normal to me. The louder clicking sound is your evap solenoid, behind that ticking sounds like normal high pressure injectors. The rattle you hear from a bad tensioner usually happens for 1-2 seconds after starting the car then goes once oil pressure is sufficient, at least mine did before I replaced it!

Decent

they offered to pay for 30% to replace all of the timing components but if the engine is done they wont do fuck all. Last VW I will ever own.

Update on my situation: they will cover 0% of the costs. They cited my oil service history as their smoking gun for making this decision. They said any talk of extending the warranty for the timing chain is voided when you have your car serviced by anyone other than the dealership.

After a long conversation, I told them the car is in VW's possession...just take it away. So the next step in my case is approval to relieve me of the vehicle. Not the outcome I wanted, but probably for the best.

andrew_leon

Sounds normal to me. The louder clicking sound is your evap solenoid, behind that ticking sounds like normal high pressure injectors. The rattle you hear from a bad tensioner usually happens for 1-2 seconds after starting the car then goes once oil pressure is sufficient, at least mine did before I replaced it!

Thanks! I also kind of remember it always sounded like that.

The 1-2 seconds the sound is exactly the same as all other time, so it looks like a little paranoia from my side, and the guy who taught me something was wrong :)

I basically have 2-3 seconds of diesel sound after start on my '2000 FIAT Barchetta, but there it's normal because it's a fiat... :lol:

Vengeance

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks as though I have to do mine here soon...