GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
What did they say about the tensioner and chain that they removed? Good shape or nearing failure. Did you have any symptoms? What mileage?

I have a quote for exactly this service for the same amount. I have 59k on mine and it runs perfectly.

I did it at 70k. They said everything was in pretty decent condition. I have the tensioner they removed and it doesn't show much wear on the teeth. I am stage 2 now though, so it was preventative and for peace of mind. Cheaper than a new engine I guess? At least that's how I'm justifying it...

oldtype2

Ready to race!
Not sure if this is related to a timing chain failure but on cold starts after sitting over night it makes a rattling noise. It just started this a few days ago. Only does it after sitting over night, runs great after.

https://youtu.be/Y-xrz4R7drc

It's a 2012, build date 2011. It's been regularly serviced and maintained, no modifications.

I'm not the original owner but I checked the service records and the tensioner has never been replaced and no carbon cleaning done. Recently the 40k service was done. Has 54k on it now.

I will check block 93 in VCDS next time I get a chance.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Crazy how much dealers are charging here. I do em for $1k using oem parts. Anyone around chicago can pm me if needed.

My local dealer​ charged me $1100 for the job. I think I'm lucky and am somehow near a VW dealership that has a competent service department that charges fair prices.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Not sure if this is related to a timing chain failure but on cold starts after sitting over night it makes a rattling noise. It just started this a few days ago. Only does it after sitting over night, runs great after.

https://youtu.be/Y-xrz4R7drc

It's a 2012, build date 2011. It's been regularly serviced and maintained, no modifications.

I'm not the original owner but I checked the service records and the tensioner has never been replaced and no carbon cleaning done. Recently the 40k service was done. Has 54k on it now.

I will check block 93 in VCDS next time I get a chance.

Thanks for any input.

Mine made that rattling nose, it's the chain rattling for a second before oil gets to the tensioner to hold the tension.

Here's a picture of the timing cover which was worn by a slack chain!!

oldtype2

Ready to race!
Mine made that rattling nose, it's the chain rattling for a second before oil gets to the tensioner to hold the tension.

Here's a picture of the timing cover which was worn by a slack chain!!

Wow. Did you replace the chain as well? I see several different kits for sale, just not sure what's all needed and the best place to get it from.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Has anybody gotten vw to replace the tensioner under warranty before it breaks

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

About to check my 2012 this week .. finally. Curious about this too. If I find the old part in there, wondering if anyone has had success showing them the TSB and a dealer covering the preventative work.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
My dealer told me no. I haven't gotten around to calling vw headquarters yet.

I chatted online with a Volkswagen rep over the weekend and this is a quote from our conversation.

"I see, we do monitor trends with our parts closely here, this is how a decision is made to either issue a recall or an extended warranty. I was able to check both for your car and currently there are no open recalls or warranty extensions for the tensioner. "

She was also nice enough to inform me my powertrain warranty ran out 6 days ago.

jasonaltima

Ready to race!
I chatted online with a Volkswagen rep over the weekend and this is a quote from our conversation.

"I see, we do monitor trends with our parts closely here, this is how a decision is made to either issue a recall or an extended warranty. I was able to check both for your car and currently there are no open recalls or warranty extensions for the tensioner. "

She was also nice enough to inform me my powertrain warranty ran out 6 days ago.

That's basically what the dealer told me. Mine is a 2012 with 48,000 and I bought it used with 34,000 on it so I have no idea when the power train expires.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
My dealer told me no. I haven't gotten around to calling vw headquarters yet.

Dealer said no and suggested having them do the work as well as suggested changing rails, guides and chains also! lol this has got to be the worst ongoing headache. To do the tensioner or not do the tensioner. VWOA acted like I was speaking African and never heard of the issue and if the dealer hasn't said it's faulty there's no way they will pay for an updated version. Gotta love the game.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
That's basically what the dealer told me. Mine is a 2012 with 48,000 and I bought it used with 34,000 on it so I have no idea when the power train expires.

Powertrain is 5 years or 60k miles. They go buy the in-service date, this is the day the original buyer bought the car. It's on the carfax report.

Mine is a 2012 with 54k miles. In-service date was 4-3-12

oldtype2

Ready to race!
Dealer said no and suggested having them do the work as well as suggested changing rails, guides and chains also! lol this has got to be the worst ongoing headache. To do the tensioner or not do the tensioner. VWOA acted like I was speaking African and never heard of the issue and if the dealer hasn't said it's faulty there's no way they will pay for an updated version. Gotta love the game.

Right?

If the engine skips a couple teeth and detonates, will VW replace the engine at no charge if the tensioner is at fault? If out of warranty, most likely not, even though they're secretly aware it's an issue.