GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I have an extended 6/100K warranty that dealer tossed in when the car was having serious electrical issues same day I drove it off the lot. I guess it can't hurt to ask. I'll be there to pick up the timing tensioner inspection plug replacement this week anyways.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Wow. Did you replace the chain as well? I see several different kits for sale, just not sure what's all needed and the best place to get it from.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry for the late reply, yes the chain and guides were already getting replaced which was a good call by me anyway!

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I have an extended 6/100K warranty that dealer tossed in when the car was having serious electrical issues same day I drove it off the lot. I guess it can't hurt to ask. I'll be there to pick up the timing tensioner inspection plug replacement this week anyways.

Just checked my 2012 with build date of March of 2012. I do have the newer tensioner. :w00t:

Inspection plug was really easy to get off and replace with the OEM part I got from dealer for $5. Definitely get yourself an extendable mirror and a flash light.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
Mine hasn't made the noise in over a week, I've taken several videos of the timing chain area on cold starts and can't hear anything.

When it made the noise it was like a diesel sound and shake for a split second then ran fine.

CBFA air pump or misfire maybe?

jasonaltima

Ready to race!
That's how mine is. I swear I hear sometimes and then I don't. So is it in my head. My shop can't get me in till may 15th. I pray it don't crap out before then

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

andrewd

Has anyone seen failure on the latest revision tensioners yet? I'm wondering if it's worth replacing even if it has the K revision. I have 73k on a 2013 and will have the tensioner inspected this week.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
My 2012 is in the shop for inspection, the mechanic says they don't think the sound I was hearing is from the chain but it does have the old style tensioner.

It's getting replaced.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
My 2012 is in the shop for inspection, the mechanic says they don't think the sound I was hearing is from the chain but it does have the old style tensioner.

It's getting replaced.

What is your car's build date?