GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope, new spark plugs and new r8 coil packs I just installed.. It started just fine, it just wouldn't engage any gears.. I'm just wondering if it could only be the oil pump, or could there be engine damage from running w/o the pump working properly.. they should change the oil when pump replaced so hopefully they check for metal in oil.. would the oil pump failing tell the engine not to engage gears or something?

I don't know. Maybe someone else could chime in with those same problems?

somerset91

Ready to race!
If you get shaking or hear a knock you are in trouble. I could be wrong, but this is what happened to me before my timing chain and tensioner failed. I didn't read the warning signs...

My car was built in Aug 2013, so I think it should have the updated tensioner. Is there something specific I should ask a mechanic to check besides the timing chain?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Some ppl say the slight chatter when I turn the engine off is from the flywheel. I'll try turning my car off with the clutch in, see if that helps

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Getting mine done pretty quick here, sub 80k miles, no issues just preventative.. shop quoted me 3 hours labour and a couple hundred bucks in parts, should be sub $500 tax in, cheap piece of mind IMO.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Getting mine done pretty quick here, sub 80k miles, no issues just preventative.. shop quoted me 3 hours labour and a couple hundred bucks in parts, should be sub $500 tax in, cheap piece of mind IMO.

you have 80K miles on yours??? or 80,000km since i saw you're from BC and here in canada we're in KM/hour

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
My car was built in Aug 2013, so I think it should have the updated tensioner. Is there something specific I should ask a mechanic to check besides the timing chain?

Than you probably have some time depending on how many miles you have on the car. I'd have him look at the timing chain, tensioner, rails, and front timing cover. The job itself isn't that bad. It's right around $1,000 or less.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
you have 80K miles on yours??? or 80,000km since i saw you're from BC and here in canada we're in KM/hour

I translate for the Americans since mostly them on here... I'm at 126k kms just under 80k miles :thumbup:

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I translate for the Americans since mostly them on here... I'm at 126k kms just under 80k miles :thumbup:

i guess that would be average for a 2010....

i'm at 50,000km on mine, only one year older then yours....

gotta love the 2Dr tornado RED

BlueE30

Ready to race!
i guess that would be average for a 2010....

i'm at 50,000km on mine, only one year older then yours....

gotta love the 2Dr tornado RED

Jeeze, that's low mileage! Mine is pretty average, I drive a lot of highway, commuting I go between the GTI and E30 but mostly the GTI, think I enjoy driving the GTI more than the E30.

Love the 2dr tornado RED!! Classic GTI colour in my opinion, used to have a low and slow 90 Red GTI so was fitting to get a newer red one.

miniQuaid

Hi. quick question. Sorry if it showed up before, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

What is the expected life of a TSI timing chain?

I just bought a 2011 GTI a few months ago. It has 120K miles and has no problems. Regularly maintained at 2 VW dealerships throughout its life. I'm waffling between changing the old tensioner or going all-in and replacing the entire timing chain setup. I'd rather just change the tensioner for cost reasons, but if my chains are only good for a little while longer...

Thanks!

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. quick question. Sorry if it showed up before, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

I just bought a 2011 GTI a few months ago. It has 120K miles and has no problems. Regularly maintained at 2 VW dealerships throughout its life. I'm waffling between changing the old tensioner or going all-in and replacing the entire timing chain setup. I'd rather just change the tensioner for cost reasons, but if my chains are only good for a little while longer...

Thanks!

Some people would have you believe it is a "lifetime item" that doesnt need to be replaced... But those same people only warranty the car for 36,000 miles. And not many people are taking their cars over 100k, so it isn't a consideration for a lot of them.

My 2011 needed everything replaced at 85k miles. I had over an inch of chain stretch and exhaust timing had already skipped 1 tooth.

In my personal opinion it is penny wise and pound foolish to try and replace just the tensioner if you plan to keep the car for a little while. I'd bite the bullet, do it all and enjoy the car from then on out, but thats just me... YMMV.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Thanks!

I'd do it all. Ive seen a lot of people say their chains were stretched under 100k. I did just the tensioner and I get a rattle on hot starts after sitting 20 mins and im pretty sure its the chain.

miniQuaid

I'd do it all. Ive seen a lot of people say their chains were stretched under 100k. I did just the tensioner and I get a rattle on hot starts after sitting 20 mins and im pretty sure its the chain.

Good info guys. Thanks for the suggestions. This is outside of my DIY comfort zone. Any thoughts on dealership vs. private shop? I did get a quote from Autonation VW in Buford, GA for $2K. Yoiks.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Good info guys. Thanks for the suggestions. This is outside of my DIY comfort zone. Any thoughts on dealership vs. private shop? I did get a quote from Autonation VW in Buford, GA for $2K. Yoiks.

The 2 dealerships closest to me gave me obscene prices, and claimed "why would you do this? It is not an issue. We have only seen it on a small handful of Tiguans. It doesnt effect the GTI." They wanted $4,300... no joke. I kept the quote, I should scan it an upload it.

My local VW/Audi specialty shop quoted me $1600, but it ended up being about $1800 by the time tax, "shop supplies" etc. They ordered the kit from DAP, and parts were about $725, labor and fees ended up just over $1,000. I agree, I do a lot on my car but this was outside of my comfort zone.

If you're getting an "all-in" quote from them for $2,000 that isnt too far off from what I paid my inde shop. The parts get expensive, I think the cover alone runs $180. Then there are a bunch of bolts, rollers, guides, etc. There are also 2 separate tensioners, I had both replaced.

Also, my was the first one my shop did that had the new chain design. I guess it is a "triple link" now instead of the "double link" before, which should reduce chain stretch and extend its life.

miniQuaid

The 2 dealerships closest to me gave me obscene prices, and claimed "why would you do this? It is not an issue. We have only seen it on a small handful of Tiguans. It doesnt effect the GTI." They wanted $4,300... no joke. I kept the quote, I should scan it an upload it.

My local VW/Audi specialty shop quoted me $1600, but it ended up being about $1800 by the time tax, "shop supplies" etc. They ordered the kit from DAP, and parts were about $725, labor and fees ended up just over $1,000. I agree, I do a lot on my car but this was outside of my comfort zone.

If you're getting an "all-in" quote from them for $2,000 that isnt too far off from what I paid my inde shop. The parts get expensive, I think the cover alone runs $180. Then there are a bunch of bolts, rollers, guides, etc. There are also 2 separate tensioners, I had both replaced.

Also, my was the first one my shop did that had the new chain design. I guess it is a "triple link" now instead of the "double link" before, which should reduce chain stretch and extend its life.

Great info! Thanks for the data point!