GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible New K04 file from APR???

Status
Not open for further replies.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Holy Redline!!!

I hate shifting the car that close to redline, but from what I've read, at least in the first couple gears, you want to be pretty close to redline (6800) when shifting...I usually can't bring myself to go over 6k, this is my only car so I don't like to take a chance just to compare dick sizes with another driver.

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I hate shifting the car that close to redline, but from what I've read, at least in the first couple gears, you want to be pretty close to redline (6800) when shifting...I usually can't bring myself to go over 6k, this is my only car so I don't like to take a chance just to compare dick sizes with another driver.

I am with you sir.

VeeDubbLuV

By the beard of Zeus
...For those who don't know, volumetric efficiency is the engines ability to flow it's natural displacement of volume. The engine has 2.0 liters of volume but if you can only fill the cylinders with 1.8 liters of fresh air/fuel during every cycle it's only using 90% of it's volume. So we would say the VE is only 90% at that cycle. The VE will vary at different RPM ranges on each setup. Yes, the right design can see VE greater than 100%

Seriously tho, I check this thread regularly, if nothing else than to read your posts! Gives me shite to talk about with my Audi/Porsche tech friend over a beer. Thank you for your extremely thorough posts!

3bar MAP in hand ready for the roll out APR!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion

Over 6k..lol. Only car, limiter every day, 65k+ later no issues. I think more people have issues by treating these things nicely than not.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Over 6k..lol. Only car, limiter every day, 65k+ later no issues. I think more people have issues by treating these things nicely than not.

Don't get me wrong, I get on it every day, but I don't think running it to 6k is treating it nicely lol!

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
The car still has a ton of power over 6k...I let the car warm up (oil temp 70c) and cool down (drive easy before parking and between pushes) and put new oil regularly. Along with having a bigger intercooler and external oil cooler.

But when I push it, I go all mad :D

Sent from my iPhone with typos

kakluote

Ready to race!
If you want to do a fair comparison to see natural gains of one of these style manifolds, make sure it's done on the same day, same weather, and same dyno. Also make sure ignition advance is reduced enough to eliminate ignition retard from knock during both tests but keep the same ignition advance tune for both tests. Air intake temps, boost and fuel curves need to be mirror images. This leaves only the volumetric efficiency and mass flow as the true measured variable. This can be measured and compared on MAF cars. If it truly helps improve the engines natural ability to flow more, this will show it.

On a small turbo setup like a K04 or smaller, the true culprit to reducing your engines ability to flow is the turbos turbine housing. It starts creating so much back pressure at high boost that it begins to block it's own flow. So when the exabust valves open and try to expel all of the old burnt exhaust gases, it can't. This leaves some if the old inert gases in the cylinders while the new fresh air is being forced in. This is where the volumetric efficiency of the engine takes a nose dive.

For those who don't know, volumetric efficiency is the engines ability to flow it's natural displacement of volume. The engine has 2.0 liters of volume but if you can only fill the cylinders with 1.8 liters of fresh air/fuel during every cycle it's only using 90% of it's volume. So we would say the VE is only 90% at that cycle. The VE will vary at different RPM ranges on each setup. Yes, the right design can see VE greater than 100%

My best example of the turbos back pressure starting to ruin the engines VE,lol:

yes, i have the spring vlave issue, sloved by replace with tougher one.

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
The car still has a ton of power over 6k...I let the car warm up (oil temp 70c) and cool down (drive easy before parking and between pushes) and put new oil regularly. Along with having a bigger intercooler and external oil cooler.

You can definitely make power to 7000rpm with a k04 ;)

It will tend to drop but not enough to say the powerband suffers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 360

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

How long do you let it cool down before shutting it off? I always go easy on the car about 30 seconds to a minute left to my destination, and then once I get there, I usually let it sit for about 30 seconds at idle and then shut it down, but I've wondered if that's longer or shorter than average.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
You can definitely make power to 7000rpm with a k04 ;)

It will tend to drop but not enough to say the powerband suffers.

I'm not k04, but still sounds like I need to start pushing my car harder in order to get the most out of it...sounds like the engine seems to be able to handle it just fine as well :thumbsup:

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
How long do you let it cool down before shutting it off? I always go easy on the car about 30 seconds to a minute left to my destination, and then once I get there, I usually let it sit for about 30 seconds at idle and then shut it down, but I've wondered if that's longer or shorter than average.

Just driving with adequate airflow at low engine loads for 30-60 seconds after severe usage is usually enough to wick away any excessive areas of heat. A lot of people buy turbo timers to help protect their turbo from 'coking', which occurs from shutting off the engine with the turbos center section CHRA being hot enough to turn the oil to sludge. If you have a water cooled turbo, there is no need for a turbo timer unless you prefer poor fuel economy per tank of fuel.

The water cooled center section of turbos basically does nothing while driving and only comes into play when you immediately shut the engine off. With the proper angle and design, as it wicks away the heat from the bearings and shaft area, it actually CREATES coolant flow from the wicked heat.

Here is a cool article explaining the concept:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...iles/Garrett_White_Paper_01_Water_Cooling.pdf

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Just driving with adequate airflow at low engine loads for 30-60 seconds after severe usage is usually enough to wick away any excessive areas of heat. A lot of people buy turbo timers to help protect their turbo from 'coking', which occurs from shutting off the engine with the turbos center section CHRA being hot enough to turn the oil to sludge. If you have a water cooled turbo, there is no need for a turbo timer unless you prefer poor fuel economy per tank of fuel.

The water cooled center section of turbos basically does nothing while driving and only comes into play when you immediately shut the engine off. With the proper angle and design, as it wicks away the heat from the bearings and shaft area, it actually CREATES coolant flow from the wicked heat.

Here is a cool article explaining the concept:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...iles/Garrett_White_Paper_01_Water_Cooling.pdf

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure our cars have an auxiliary electric pump that continues to circulate coolant through the turbo after shutoff.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Jamie, very nice explanation. So, there is no benefit from letting the car idle for a minute after an excessive run? I always felt like that only heats up the engine more, I can see my oil and coolant temps raise because of lack of airflow, while parked up..

I personally drive slowly for 2-3 minutes and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.