GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
well, that hardtop and turbo (or a supercharge kit + install) is gonna run you about $6-$10K, but yeah.

Yea the FI kits aren't cheap neither are the hard tops, but the motor can handle a shit ton of power stock. But anyway...back on topic lol...

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
I checked out both the scion and the subaru versions yesterday at the ny show. I havent read this thread so pardon me if i am repeating obvious stuff, but these are thoughts from someone who hadn't seen much on the cars before.

The outside looks great, it's definitely an attractive car; sort of a mix of the genesis coupe and the 370z. The interior was hit and miss. I wasnt a big fan of either center console - the scion was unimpressive, and while i liked the subaru's better, the gear like buttons were kind of toy-like. The GTI center console is definitely a class above. I was impressed by the touchscreen stereo on the scion though (brz had a base stereo), it looked good and was more responsive than the one on my gti.

The backseat is obviously a joke, unless you're only friends with leg-less midgets, but the trunk was a decent size. The thing that bothered me, though, was this hollow piece of plastic running across the dash/glove compartment that was painted like carbon fiber on the scion. Terrible. It should be removed, but it was painted grey on the subaru, which made it more palatable. I hope it comes in non-carbon fiber options on the scion. Interestingly, the interior on the subie was grey with red stitching in the exact same colors as the gti.

Obviously how it drives is key, which is difficult to do in a car that doesn't turn on and is parked inside a building, but seeing it in person left me with mixed feelings.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/04/dyno-tested-2013-scion-fr-s.html

Interesting they compared the result to a GTI....I guess this further illustrate the point that they need some more oomph....

No doubting the virtue of RWD and lightness and all that, but you will trade off some pretty serious power going into one....

Andrew, interesting comparo there, and definitely needed. I agree with your last point, once this thing goes turbo with anywhere from 240-260hp (if not more) and some suspension and brake upgrades similar to an STI, it will sell like hot cakes and I'd probably be in line to buy one.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
One of my friend did mention this too about the Toyobaru vs Miata deal. The cars are conceptually very similar and does seem to be marketing to the same type of performance level. But while to some(like myself) who would see the fact that Toyotbaru is a coupe as a plus, some will see it as a minus as Miata being a roadster AND a lightweight sportscar is its main selling point. While this car will probably deliver same type of driving experience as a quick, good handling, rear drive sportscar, its not a roadster and thus might not get the same people to buy one. And it will probably invite more comparison with the likes of the current hot hatches/sporty coupe. Which makes the deal looks less attractive....

Doesn't change the fact that I still want to drive one to see what is the fuss about....

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Wow! And this is a STOCK GTI, even though both are rated for the same HP:

Stage 1 simply destroys it, and for only $600. This thing is just begging for more power.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
On top of the fact that it will be a lot harder to bump the power up in that engine as you can't simply play with boost level like you would on a turbo motor....

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
On top of the fact that it will be a lot harder to bump the power up in that engine as you can't simply play with boost level like you would on a turbo motor....

true, but if they do the below...

A factory turbo'd BRZ-STI option would make everyone happy. :) Do it Subaru!

YES. PLEASE. OMGZ.

4pot brakes up front, 2pots in the rear, sways, lowered suspension, turbo - i'm probably sold on it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Used Cayman S :thumbup:

Elise might be too raw for anything but a dedicated track car though. Most people I know end up selling them for that reason.

Cayman S may be it - throw on some H&R's before it leaves the dealer, and be done.

Yeah, the Elise is definitely more hardcore, but if you're only driving it on weekends here and there, special occasions, and track days , it should be fine, plus it has the Toyota engine in it.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Cayman S may be it - throw on some H&R's before it leaves the dealer, and be done.

Yeah, the Elise is definitely more hardcore, but if you're only driving it on weekends here and there, special occasions, and track days , it should be fine, plus it has the Toyota engine in it.

Why a cayman, and not a 911? Just curious.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
4pot brakes up front, 2pots in the rear, sways, lowered suspension, turbo - i'm probably sold on it.

$$$$ <--- and then it no longer becomes the light, cheap, fun, RWD sports care for the common man.

They could do it for not that much more money, but they won't. The base STI is $8,500 more than a base WRX.