GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The FK Coilover Thread.

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but my overall concern is the height advertised on the FK Street Line vs. All other FK models.

From what I've seen, the Street Line advertises up to a 55mm drop while the other models advertise a 75mm drop. Of course this is not taking into consideration removing helpers, perches, etc..

I plan on running 18s only on my six, so before I spend the money I want to make sure I can achieve the drop I'm looking for (which is pretty low).

I don't really mind spending the extra few hundred, but if I can get the same results at a cheaper price - I'll do that. I'm also not concerned with them locking up, I live in Florida and we don't get snow and I don't live by the ocean so I don't think that will be an issue in my case.

Thanks in advance.

i've been researching and getting opinions on streetlines for a solid 2 months now. what i have gathered is that they do indeed drop as low ad all other FK's and run perfectly fine and the seized perches issue can be solved with basic shop grease.

but again, thats strictly what i've found while browsing the Vortex and MK5 forums. like, as far as coils go, that was going to be my decision over the Silverlines i was planning to buy and i'm trying to be pretty damn low too. (thus the reason i decided to go with bags, this jersey winter has really reminded me why driving static low is an awful idea in this state.)

niix1

i've been researching and getting opinions on streetlines for a solid 2 months now. what i have gathered is that they do indeed drop as low ad all other FK's and run perfectly fine and the seized perches issue can be solved with basic shop grease.

but again, thats strictly what i've found while browsing the Vortex and MK5 forums. like, as far as coils go, that was going to be my decision over the Silverlines i was planning to buy and i'm trying to be pretty damn low too. (thus the reason i decided to go with bags, this jersey winter has really reminded me why driving static low is an awful idea in this state.)

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully, I don't have have to deal with crazy winters and can ride low all the time :)

I guess the best thing would be to wait until we see someone in a mk6 with Street Lines with no helpers and cranked down.

Maybe I'll be that guinea pig?

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i can safely tell you that you won't be able to go lower than 10 threads left in the front (with no helpers) without having to notch your frame.

as RSMark5 said, both FK Coilovers and H&R Ultralows go undriveably low.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
So, i was thinking bags before coil-overs, one reason only...i live in wv. :( but if i were to do coil overs i had a few questions, what are these so called pearches? and can i install the suspension myself, or do you need special spring compressors or anything of that nature?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
just throwing this out here since i'm not on fk's

those of you looking at streetlines and highsports should also take a close look at the power tech sport edition+ coils...they are 900 but they are cad plated and dampening adjustable...for 50 bucks more than the highsports it is definitely worth it

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
just throwing this out here since i'm not on fk's

those of you looking at streetlines and highsports should also take a close look at the power tech sport edition+ coils...they are 900 but they are cad plated and dampening adjustable...for 50 bucks more than the highsports it is definitely worth it

what im running:thumbup:

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
Any suggestions from those of you with Konigsports on dampening firmness? Do you have the backs stiffer than the fronts, firmness the same all around, or front stiffer than the back? I have looked high and low on this forum before i posted and found nothing, especially on Konigsports. Also, to those of you who have these specific coilovers, do they tend to run a little soft or firm. I am thinking of starting the rears off at about 3/4 firm since i have to take them off to adjust dampening. I don't want to be back in the shop the next day adjusting them again. Any suggestions or advice from you guys who are running this setup would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics tomorrow.

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
FK Konigsports everything in with lots left to go if i want. Im going to let the springs settle for a few days and then take it back in and give it a slightly forward rake. After that i will get an allignment. I got the rear dampening about 3/4 firm and the front all the way firm. It is a little bouncy so this weekend when i get time i will loosen up the dampening a little on the front. It is actually not that rough of a ride and handles quite a bit better than stock IMO. Compared to my two Nissan hard bodies that i had lowered, it is a cadillac. Next are spacers, RSB, and summer tires.

Here are a few pics of before and after.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
lower.....it looks like your on a cup kit...just sayin'

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
lower.....it looks like your on a cup kit...just sayin'

Really? I felt like it was pretty low. Ftg is 24 inches. :iono:What is stock ftg? Hmmm. i think i would have to roll my fenders to go any lower in the front. I guess it is something to think about. Thanks for the honest reply Zim.

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion

i dunno maybe its me....or how the pictuce is....

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
yea thats my car..... rear FTG: 23 1/2 front FTG: 23 3/4

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
what about the fk power-techs? anyone have them? I see them for our cars on New German's site. I think they are dampening adjustable as well. and 900

thats what im on......they ride great...