GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I actually have that bracket too just not the well nuts that come with it. Tried it and decided the Volvo bracket worked better for the rear. But that's a good idea to use those existing holes with well nuts. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I actually have that bracket too just not the well nuts that come with it. Tried it and decided the Volvo bracket worked better for the rear. But that's a good idea to use those existing holes with well nuts. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

yup, not permanent, no paint scratches, fully removable. killer.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
ya if you don't like good music, no reason to spend the money.. my system put a smile on my face all day long yesterday.

If you look at my Sig you will see that I'm running a jl stealthbox. I always liked good stereos. One of my few must have options.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
If you look at my Sig you will see that I'm running a jl stealthbox. I always liked good stereos. One of my few must have options.

then there should be no discussion at all. The HK is amazing, and needs zero upgrades ever. It was more than loud enough for me at half volume all this morning as I drove around. Like loud enough so people could hear it with my windows closed.. The bass pounds good, the EQ is excellent.

I gotta get my local GTI dude dbizzle to come see the WRX or something. maybe drive it. and ill let him hear the stereo. then he can provide unbiased input on if he likes it or not.

hell, i'd let you do that too.. i work in hayward all day.. but i'd need to make it a video so i'd need advanced notice.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Balls.

Subaru nav/stereos have always been complete shite.. but sounds like the HK may be decent finally. Nav still.. not so much.

Max, agreed 110%.. If the STI had a new motor, I'd be in one, no questions asked. i'd probably have the spoiler removed or traded with a WRX bro.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
the nav sucks ass. as does the touchscreen. but the sound is the important part anyway.

had a peak youtube day a few days ago, $18. if only i could do that every day, i'd have the car paid for.

but its not all fun and games. i lost 99 subscribers in the last 2 weeks. but i gained 460.

net result, 361 + in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
word word. glad you like the sound, I need to hear one still. My few friends that got the new rex, all have base models or a premium maybe. None with HK either.

That review with the Golf R vs the STI tho.. interesting stuff there... Max probably knows off the top of his head, but what is the true difference this time around with base vs premium on the R? I haven't been keeping up. But dang, if a MK7 R MT is like $36K-ish, give it 6-12 months, probably get that bad boy down $33,500-$34K from a dealer who needs to move it. Could be enticing.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
word word. glad you like the sound, I need to hear one still. My few friends that got the new rex, all have base models or a premium maybe. None with HK either.

That review with the Golf R vs the STI tho.. interesting stuff there... Max probably knows off the top of his head, but what is the true difference this time around with base vs premium on the R? I haven't been keeping up. But dang, if a MK7 R MT is like $36K-ish, give it 6-12 months, probably get that bad boy down $33,500-$34K from a dealer who needs to move it. Could be enticing.

VW site is a complete nightmare now... nothing works.

R deals are not to be found. Every dealer only gets 1-3Rs, it is super low volume for 2015.

HOWEVER. For 2016 which should be in like 3-4 months this should ease up greatly and the R will get the MUCH NEEDED upgraded Stereo/Nav interface. The current one is honestly a joke, it looks cheap, my RNS-510 is WORLDS better in every way other than some lag.

That said, the R has a few issues.... The 19" wheels are atrocious IMO and completely unnecessary on it. There is also some weird armrest issue where it doesn't open, but apparently if you have a screw driver or two you can undo the clips VW put in to meet some kind of last min safety regulation.

Other that the elephant in the room is the golf R look... frankly I don't know if I can ever have another egg. But that's just the golf platform in general.

I'd expect a 4 door manual base R to cost around 37k, so far dealers are not discounting jack so likely an STI would be slightly cheaper.

On the positive note, Golf R resale is excellent.
VW is not making them with a moon roof which is also great.
They are better than the Mk6 R in every single way, space, weight, power, fuel economy, performance, options.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
the nav sucks ass. as does the touchscreen. but the sound is the important part anyway.

had a peak youtube day a few days ago, $18. if only i could do that every day, i'd have the car paid for.

but its not all fun and games. i lost 99 subscribers in the last 2 weeks. but i gained 460.

net result, 361 + in 2 weeks.

Lost 99? Gti guys maybe?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
VW site is a complete nightmare now... nothing works.

R deals are not to be found. Every dealer only gets 1-3Rs, it is super low volume for 2015.

HOWEVER. For 2016 which should be in like 3-4 months this should ease up greatly and the R will get the MUCH NEEDED upgraded Stereo/Nav interface. The current one is honestly a joke, it looks cheap, my RNS-510 is WORLDS better in every way other than some lag.

That said, the R has a few issues.... The 19" wheels are atrocious IMO and completely unnecessary on it. There is also some weird armrest issue where it doesn't open, but apparently if you have a screw driver or two you can undo the clips VW put in to meet some kind of last min safety regulation.

Other that the elephant in the room is the golf R look... frankly I don't know if I can ever have another egg. But that's just the golf platform in general.

I'd expect a 4 door manual base R to cost around 37k, so far dealers are not discounting jack so likely an STI would be slightly cheaper.

On the positive note, Golf R resale is excellent.
VW is not making them with a moon roof which is also great.
They are better than the Mk6 R in every single way, space, weight, power, fuel economy, performance, options.

great info, thanks Max. I only just learned a few mins ago of the nav / radio update. yeah, 37k is still up there.. when I can get a base STI for $32,500. If only they would update the engine for next year, gah.. but i bet it will be in 2017. Unless.. they drop the car by itself completely, and they just let you upgrade to STI options on the car instead.

sti resale also excellent.

Lost 99? Gti guys maybe?

indeed

of course. some guys like VW's and nothing else. passionate brand.

:word:

Glad you are enjoying the WRX. Keep up the good vids.

Gunkata - be not afraid the wing :)

haha,yeah.. id probably be fine with it.

DAT ENGINE. GAH.