GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

SirClimax

Ready to race!
I have H&R Super Sports on my car right now with the stock struts/shocks and I don't rub at all, never have. I also haven't done the fender screw mod. My wheels are 18x8.5 with 225/40 tires. When I swap out the struts/shocks with Koni Oranges, will I start rubbing? I figured there is more shock travel so ill rub on big bumps.

I'm shocked you aren't rubbing... I rubbed on stock wheels and tires after dropping with H&R Super Sports. You may rub after installing the new shocks but regardless you should do the fender screw mod just for peace of mind. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes because you will have to turn the wheel to get enough room to remove them.

BjxGTI

Ready to race!
I didn't do the fender screw mod either and I only rub on aggressive cornering, I should probably do it before I ruin my tires lol

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I have H&R Super Sports on my car right now with the stock struts/shocks and I don't rub at all, never have. I also haven't done the fender screw mod. My wheels are 18x8.5 with 225/40 tires. When I swap out the struts/shocks with Koni Oranges, will I start rubbing? I figured there is more shock travel so ill rub on big bumps.

I'm on this exact setup minus the wheels lol. I don't rub at all except at first I rubbed at auto crosses. That went away with the fender screw mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Koni orange is very similar to stock shocks. if youre not rubbing now you shouldn't... but as mentioned fender screw mod for peace of mind.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Similar to stock? Lol

in terms of dampering yes, i noticed little difference when i swapped to oranges from stock. they are essentially OEM replacements in my mind. which isn't a bad thing - they take the hits quite well.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Anybody tried putting H&R Tiguan lift springs on their cars?

I have a Tiguan and wouldn't even put the lift springs on it, lol
I definitely wouldn't do it on a GTI.

Plac/2013R tried OEM Tiguan springs & struts/shocks on his GTI a few years back, but didn't have good results with the alignment & how it drove and took them off after a couple days.
He went back and deleted the posts/info about it too unfortunately, since it was a fail

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone drive a tuned 3.5 ecoboost? Looking to tune out explorer soon and looking for some opinions without the tuning companies weighing in like they do on the explorer forum...

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I have a Tiguan and wouldn't even put the lift springs on it, lol

I definitely wouldn't do it on a GTI.

Plac/2013R tried OEM Tiguan springs & struts/shocks on his GTI a few years back, but didn't have good results with the alignment & how it drove and took them off after a couple days.

He went back and deleted the posts/info about it too unfortunately, since it was a fail

Well I'm gonna give it a shot, should have some on the way shortly. Wouldn't be surprised if I need to get some camber for the amount of toe it's prolly gonna produce.

spiker369

on air, don't care
I know chemical guys uses jetseal on exhaust tips after polishing them to help, I've not yet tried it though.

Thanks. Was hoping wax would be okay since it's easily obtainable locally. Will have to order some sort of metal sealant online.