GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
I have a 3 inch APR downpipe to a 2.5 inch AWE catback....I want to make the a tad louder ... I might do a resonator delete on the aftermarket catback..does that sound like a risky and dumb move ? ...and will I suffer any loss of torque or whatever ..?

Also is there anyway to hear the turbo spooling thru the exhaust without having a catless downpipe?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have a 3 inch APR downpipe to a 2.5 inch AWE catback....I want to make the a tad louder ... I might do a resonator delete on the aftermarket catback..does that sound like a risky and dumb move ? ...and will I suffer any loss of torque or whatever ..?

Also is there anyway to hear the turbo spooling thru the exhaust without having a catless downpipe?

deleting resonator will change the sound's tone but no guarantee it will be louder, per se. risky and dumb? nah. loss of power/torque? nah.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
So I want to get a new shift knob for my car. There is a particular one that I have been wanting but it doesnt look like they have the right thread size for my car. Now I did find a 10 x 1.5 for the knob but it looks like the GTI has a 12 x 1.5. My stupid question is would that knob still thread on? Im thinking I am just going to have some exposed threading since it wont fully thread down onto it? Is there something I could do to make it fit? Maybe shave down the stem?

Here is one of the knobs which is a "universal"

https://www.sickspeed.com/product/m...-knob-for-6-speed-short-throw-shifter-un2-kit

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
When you buy a shift knob, you should get a threaded adapter that you secure with set screws and the knob with screw onto the adapter. As long as the adapter has the correct inner diameter for the shift stalk, the outer diameter for the knob to fit on sit not as important. You can pull up the center trim around the shoft knob and measure the diameter of the stalk. This will be the inner diameter adapter you will need.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
When you buy a shift knob, you should get a threaded adapter that you secure with set screws and the knob with screw onto the adapter. As long as the adapter has the correct inner diameter for the shift stalk, the outer diameter for the knob to fit on sit not as important. You can pull up the center trim around the shoft knob and measure the diameter of the stalk. This will be the inner diameter adapter you will need.

So I guess another stupid question. what are the 10 and 1.5 measurements?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
10 should be diameter and 1.5 should be length.
Here is an example of what I mean for the knob.
The top of my stalk was 12mm diameter and lower section was 11.80mm. So I needed at least 12mm inner diameter for the adapter so I could set it where the height I wanted. Then knob just threads on

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
10 should be diameter and 1.5 should be length.
Here is an example of what I mean for the knob.
The top of my stalk was 12mm diameter and lower section was 11.80mm. So I needed at least 12mm inner diameter for the adapter so I could set it where the height I wanted. Then knob just threads on

Brobst, that is exactly the information I was looking. Thank you so much dude!

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Not so much a question but something random I noticed today. I used my second key today for the first time in 5 years. All the settings are associated with the keys. My convenience blinker was reset to 3 and the door unlock on key removal thing was back.

Do you think fuel trims and/or driving styles are retained on the keys as well?

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
I bought a Eurojet v2 TBE and I wanted to make sure I have all the components, do you see anything missing?
IMG_8823.jpg

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I bought a Eurojet v2 TBE and I wanted to make sure I have all the components, do you see anything missing?
View attachment 57303
looks like a full exhaust to me.

I would buy a new OEM turbo to exhaust gasket though as they are a
crush" style to promote a proper seal. Also new studs/nuts are good to have just incase.

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
looks like a full exhaust to me.

I would buy a new OEM turbo to exhaust gasket though as they are a
crush" style to promote a proper seal. Also new studs/nuts are good to have just incase.

Already on that just to be safe! Thank you though!

ce4

Ready to race!
So just perusing the owners manual the other day and found this for the windshield washer fluid:

Recommended cleaners
x For the warmer months, Windscreen Clear SummerG 052 184 A1 or equivalent. Mixing ratio 1:100
(1 part concentrate to 100 parts water) in the windshield washer reservoir.
x All-season Windscreen ClearG 052 164 A2 or equivalent. Mixing ratio in winter to 0 °F (-18 °C)
about 1:2 (1 part concentrate to 2 parts water), otherwise, mixing ratio 1:4 in the windshield washer
reservoir.

Is it that imperative that we use Volkswagen washer fluid? Never had any issues in previous vehicles using Rain X or other Washer fluids.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
So just perusing the owners manual the other day and found this for the windshield washer fluid:

Recommended cleaners
x For the warmer months, Windscreen Clear SummerG 052 184 A1 or equivalent. Mixing ratio 1:100
(1 part concentrate to 100 parts water) in the windshield washer reservoir.
x All-season Windscreen ClearG 052 164 A2 or equivalent. Mixing ratio in winter to 0 °F (-18 °C)
about 1:2 (1 part concentrate to 2 parts water), otherwise, mixing ratio 1:4 in the windshield washer
reservoir.

Is it that imperative that we use Volkswagen washer fluid? Never had any issues in previous vehicles using Rain X or other Washer fluids.

You don't have to use VW fluid buy some people have had problems with the orange Rain X. I've used the blue Rain X for years without issues.

FatSavage

Hey guys. Is there a section where I can post a used GTI I am going to look at to see if its a good deal. Or anyone in here I can PM that knows more than I would?

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
So I just got a p2015 code on my car for the manifold. Vw has already replaced my manifold... Think they will do it again? I only put 40k on it since the replacement. Still under 120k miles.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk