GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thought I'd share a MK6 GTi SQ install I just did :)

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
As "placenta" on those forums, I have always said the TRU TO3-4.150 was my favorite amp. Havent looked into what TRU is up to in a long time. Don't really want to mess with my car on that level.

Did you not drill the empty molex holes this time, that was my least favorite part of my 2009 GTI audio install. Almost wrecked the pins.

since i discovered that you can pass wires belowt he molex, i havent had to drill a single molex on late model bimmers and vws for the past 3 years or so :)

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Plac, I remember you from over there back in the day. If I had the time to wait for Bing to free up I would have him do my install. In fact, I may do a half assed install and schedule something with him and amass the equipment while I am waiting for my appointment.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I had read about this a while back and totally forgot about it.

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
just a quick update.

first time out yesterday for the car competing on the MECA www.mecacaraudio.com SQ circuit. despite a pretty rudimentary tune...the car easily won its class (STREET SQ). and acutally had the 4th or 5th highest SQ score of the day...though there is some variance in scoring from judge to judge, a score of over 80 (out of a 100 point scale) is never anything to sneeze at. only 6 or 7 out of the 18 cars exceeded 80 and most were much much higher end builds in higher classes.

so...woot! :)

P

plac

I'll never forget the weeks when Ding taught me what to listen for in my sound quality auditions. Such as the guitar plucks on the intro to live Hotel California. And the subwoofer audition at the start of Welcome to the Machine. His Shiva 12 almost shook my eyeballs out. I learned a lot from you guys back in 2003-2010.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
While that install looks amazing I'd like to just butt in here and mention that shallow drivers aren't necessary at all. I have CDT Audio ES-6s (6.5" drivers with full dept) in the front doors of my Golf with no sizing issues; I just have to use 1" spacers. In the rear doors (I have a four door) I slapped in Peerless SLS 6.7" mid-bass drivers with no sizing issues.

Shallow drivers may be slightly more convenient here but they aren't necessary at all.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
The further into the door you can get the driver the wider your soundstage will be so although they aren't required I can guarantee that they helped with the sound.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
The further into the door you can get the driver the wider your soundstage will be so although they aren't required I can guarantee that they helped with the sound.

Fair enough, but wouldn't it be a better argument that the driver itself has more to do with the sound quality than a inch or two mounted spacing difference? That is to say that there's a reason people only use shallow drivers when they have to?

Then again, if it works it works.

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
While that install looks amazing I'd like to just butt in here and mention that shallow drivers aren't necessary at all. I have CDT Audio ES-6s (6.5" drivers with full dept) in the front doors of my Golf with no sizing issues; I just have to use 1" spacers. In the rear doors (I have a four door) I slapped in Peerless SLS 6.7" mid-bass drivers with no sizing issues.

Shallow drivers may be slightly more convenient here but they aren't necessary at all.

that is very interesting. do you pics of waht you did? becuase i know from personal experience that most beefy and powerful midbass have that issue.

if you use a 1" spacer, how far is your surround from the door grille? is it possible that your door grille is hitting the surround with out you knowing it? a quick chaulk test will confirm.

refer to this thread for waht i mean:

having spent over 3 hours just trying to get a set of Arc audio black series to fit into the door of another mk6, with measurement up on measurement, find routing it to make it thinner to make it work, i am surprised you an so easily fit a normal 6.5" with a 1" spacer....beuacse a 1" spacer is what i started with and the surround hits the grille on excusion. i ended up with a 7/8" spacer and shavbed the grille a lil for that to work.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y/131634-2010-golf-mk6-oem-hertz-bit-ten.html

in either case, my point was never that other midbass are unfittable, but this is a sure fireway to easily fit a mid that has the output performance, the impact and extension, without having to spend time worrying if it will fit and carefully crafting a spacer with precision. :)

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i measured 1-3/8" - 1-5/8 from the highest part of the basket to the edge of the plastic door frame.

this weekend i installed a pair of IDQ62s in the doors of my mk6 with 1-1/4" (3/4" + 1/2" wood) spacers. the IDQ62 is almost 3" deep with the front being 3/8" above the baffle. i tried 1-1/2" baffles but they were too deep.

when i held my factory speaker up next to the mounted IDQ62, it stuck out about 1/4" further. to be safe, i removed the foam from the door panel/card and trimmed away the plastic to match the rest of the speaker grille frame. the IDQ62's excursion doesn't come out beyond front of the cardboard gasket so i should be safe from that.

the arc audio black 6.5" have a very similar depth, maybe 1/8" deeper?

when i pull the passenger door panel/card to put on additional deadener, i'll measure depth through the grille.

i have pics in my build thread on diyma (copied here too) but probably not what you're looking for.