GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thought I'd share a MK6 GTi SQ install I just did :)

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
like said above, you should still be able to remote outter door skin on a MK6?

so on your system, you have a midbass upfront 6.5" a tweeter, and another 6.5" in the back door location (or back panel if its a 2 door)?

what freqs is each one playing? i just wasnt sure wht you mean by

"The rear mid-bass woofers are fine, of course, since there's no bracket forcing them to be mounted forward (I have an active 3-way subless setup). I just have a 1/2" spacer for them."

Here's my setup:

-Pioneer DEH-80PRS (in 3-way mode)
-Alpine PDX-4.150
-Tweeters [LPG 25NFA - my favorite tweeter] hi-passed at 5000hz with a 24db slope (front door stock position).
-Mid-woofers [CDT Audio ES-6] low passed at 5000hz and hi-passed at 37.5hz with a 24db slope (front door stock position with 1" spacer).
-Mid-bass woofers [Peerless SLS 830994 - best bang-for-you-buck mid-bass woofer, imo] low passed at 80hz with a 30db slope (rear door stock position with 1/2" spacer).
-Everything time aligned properly.

Sure, those x-over points may seem weird but 5000hz with a 24db slope is, like, the magic zone for tweeters to me, and those low end x-over points just work.

Last edited:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Here's my setup:

-Pioneer DEH-80PRS (in 3-way mode)
-Alpine PDX-4.150
-Tweeters [LPG 25NFA - my favorite tweeter] hi-passed at 5000hz with a 24db slope (front door stock position).
-Mid-woofers [CDT Audio ES-6] low passed at 5000hz and hi-passed at 37.5hz with a 24db slope (front door stock position with 1" spacer).
-Mid-bass woofers [Peerless SLS 830994 - best bang-for-you-buck mid-bass woofer, imo] low passed at 80hz with a 30db slope (rear door stock position with 1/2" spacer).
-Everything time aligned properly.

Sure, those x-over points may seem weird but 5000hz with a 24db slope is, like, the magic zone for tweeters to me, and those low end x-over points just work.

so you high pass your front 6.5's at 37.5???? seriously???

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
myself and bing go back aways, i learned alot from him when it comes to sound.

If i ever lost the use of my hands, bing is my first phone call for a stereo install. ;)

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
so you high pass your front 6.5's at 37.5???? seriously???

You better believe it ;)

I have the oddest x-over points ever but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound great. Other people have said so too.

Ironically, I plan to completely remove it all (except the amp) and do a completely different setup (two way front, rear-fill and sub) once I get around to pulling the trigger on yet another expensive endeavor.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i am a firm believer in power, with the 500 watts per 6.5 i used to run, at 37hz it would have launched through my door panel. :)

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
i am a firm believer in power, with the 500 watts per 6.5 i used to run, at 37hz it would have launched through my door panel. :)

Haha, ya, I'm not particularly concerned for the longevity of the speakers, that's for sure.

Then again I'm not a bass freak. I really never use subs, and I like a more punchy sound than a thick, full bassy sound.

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
myself and bing go back aways, i learned alot from him when it comes to sound.

If i ever lost the use of my hands, bing is my first phone call for a stereo install. ;)

I think u got me and u backwards here. :)

Twotone...no sub huh? Would love to see ur curve below say...50hz...i just have never heard a subless system w 6.5s sound rite...and i have heard a lot...including trying my own version about 10 years ago...love to hear urs

To me most.music always have low info...string bass...big percussion in classical music...and to me just doesnt aound authentic w out that bottom end reinforcement
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Twotone...no sub huh? Would love to see ur curve below say...50hz...i just have never heard a subless system w 6.5s sound rite...and i have heard a lot...including trying my own version about 10 years ago...love to hear urs

To me most.music always have low info...string bass...big percussion in classical music...and to me just doesnt aound authentic w out that bottom end reinforcement

Don't get me wrong; I plan to completely redo my system to add a sub and rear-fill (I've been doing the 3-way thing for so long I want a change). But, the system sounds good and punchy as it is right now.

My setup's EQ is tweaked heavily, though. So, a flat-purist probably wouldn't think much of it.

One thing that's currently stopping me from changing my setup is finding passive cross-overs that have x-over points at 5000hz for the tweeter and woofer with a 24db slope. I want to get a nav unit (like the Kenwood DNX9990HD, for example), but absolutely no double DIN unit has a 3-way mode and therefore has no hi-pass for the tweeter specifically. I would need to use passive cross-over units for the fronts, but apparently no one makes passive units with those specs. Though, I found someone on eBay that can make them for me. I'd build it myself but... I don't want to ;)

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Don't get me wrong; I plan to completely redo my system to add a sub and rear-fill (I've been doing the 3-way thing for so long I want a change). But, the system sounds good and punchy as it is right now.

My setup's EQ is tweaked heavily, though. So, a flat-purist probably wouldn't think much of it.

One thing that's currently stopping me from changing my setup is finding passive cross-overs that have x-over points at 5000hz for the tweeter and woofer with a 24db slope. I want to get a nav unit (like the Kenwood DNX9990HD, for example), but absolutely no double DIN unit has a 3-way mode and therefore has no hi-pass for the tweeter specifically. I would need to use passive cross-over units for the fronts, but apparently no one makes passive units with those specs. Though, I found someone on eBay that can make them for me. I'd build it myself but... I don't want to ;)

go full active then on the front???

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
True craftsmanship here! I wish I had this sort of expert SQ installers in my area. I have some questions, I will PM you and hopefully give me advise.