GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thought I'd share a MK6 GTi SQ install I just did :)

P

plac

since you are very familar with GTI fitments.. would the Pioneer TS-PRS720 mid fit in the 2011 GTI? Thats my favorite speaker of all time.

that is very interesting. do you pics of waht you did? becuase i know from personal experience that most beefy and powerful midbass have that issue.

if you use a 1" spacer, how far is your surround from the door grille? is it possible that your door grille is hitting the surround with out you knowing it? a quick chaulk test will confirm.

refer to this thread for waht i mean:

having spent over 3 hours just trying to get a set of Arc audio black series to fit into the door of another mk6, with measurement up on measurement, find routing it to make it thinner to make it work, i am surprised you an so easily fit a normal 6.5" with a 1" spacer....beuacse a 1" spacer is what i started with and the surround hits the grille on excusion. i ended up with a 7/8" spacer and shavbed the grille a lil for that to work.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y/131634-2010-golf-mk6-oem-hertz-bit-ten.html

in either case, my point was never that other midbass are unfittable, but this is a sure fireway to easily fit a mid that has the output performance, the impact and extension, without having to spend time worrying if it will fit and carefully crafting a spacer with precision. :)

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Does the tweeter interfere with the A-Pillar Airbag when it deploys??

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
i measured 1-3/8" - 1-5/8 from the highest part of the basket to the edge of the plastic door frame.

this weekend i installed a pair of IDQ62s in the doors of my mk6 with 1-1/4" (3/4" + 1/2" wood) spacers. the IDQ62 is almost 3" deep with the front being 3/8" above the baffle. i tried 1-1/2" baffles but they were too deep.

when i held my factory speaker up next to the mounted IDQ62, it stuck out about 1/4" further. to be safe, i removed the foam from the door panel/card and trimmed away the plastic to match the rest of the speaker grille frame. the IDQ62's excursion doesn't come out beyond front of the cardboard gasket so i should be safe from that.

the arc audio black 6.5" have a very similar depth, maybe 1/8" deeper?

when i pull the passenger door panel/card to put on additional deadener, i'll measure depth through the grille.

i have pics in my build thread on diyma (copied here too) but probably not what you're looking for.

i acutally asked you about it on your thread on diyma :)

i just dont know how that cant fit without havint the door card hit the speaker frame, with the idq6 yeah the excrusion and the surround isnt the issue...but i dont see how the frame of the speaker itself can clear the door card.

r u sure that no part of the speaker is acutally hitting any part of the plastic? i just didnt htink that would work at all...

and if you look at the other MK6 on diyma, his speaker is significantly smaller than yours and he is hitting with a smaller spacer. i would imagine your frame is physically touching the door card when the speaker is in place...

but again, would love to verify it because why i did the other MK6...my measurements dont seem to line up with what you are experiencing.

b

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
since you are very familar with GTI fitments.. would the Pioneer TS-PRS720 mid fit in the 2011 GTI? Thats my favorite speaker of all time.

i have no idea, would need to look up that speaker :) and reference it against hte black 6.0 i used :) that was about the limit of how big and deep of a mid i can do is...

b

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the tweeter interfere with the A-Pillar Airbag when it deploys??

about 8 years ago wheni first did tweets in A pillars, i asked a friend who works as an engineer in detroit, his reply was no, it wont...the pilalr gets blown out and the airbag deploys from the gap, having a tweeter in there wont do much to hinder its movement as it barely adds much weight.

infact, he said a tripple guage pod on the pillar should still be fine with airbag deployment.

b

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Excellent install. I have been out of the high end car audio for more years than I want to admit and it is great to see a craftsman perform his craft.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
that is very interesting. do you pics of waht you did? becuase i know from personal experience that most beefy and powerful midbass have that issue.

if you use a 1" spacer, how far is your surround from the door grille? is it possible that your door grille is hitting the surround with out you knowing it? a quick chaulk test will confirm.

refer to this thread for waht i mean:

having spent over 3 hours just trying to get a set of Arc audio black series to fit into the door of another mk6, with measurement up on measurement, find routing it to make it thinner to make it work, i am surprised you an so easily fit a normal 6.5" with a 1" spacer....beuacse a 1" spacer is what i started with and the surround hits the grille on excusion. i ended up with a 7/8" spacer and shavbed the grille a lil for that to work.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y/131634-2010-golf-mk6-oem-hertz-bit-ten.html

in either case, my point was never that other midbass are unfittable, but this is a sure fireway to easily fit a mid that has the output performance, the impact and extension, without having to spend time worrying if it will fit and carefully crafting a spacer with precision. :)

I'll try the test in the near future to see for sure whether or not the speaker is hitting the door card, but I can say that I can have the bass way up and those front woofers do not distort or have any audible problems. The rear mid-bass woofers are fine, of course, since there's no bracket forcing them to be mounted forward (I have an active 3-way subless setup). I just have a 1/2" spacer for them.

Side Question: I want to apply deadener to the OUTSIDE door panel (the inside of it, of course!) but the 2012 Golf's outer panel/skin is welded on. Can I simply buy a rivet gun and break out/reinstall the rivets for the middle section plastic molded piece to be able to get at the outer panel's inside? I mean, how else can you access it? My rear door's mid-bass drivers, when the bass is way up, rattles the outer panel significantly.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
Side Question: I want to apply deadener to the OUTSIDE door panel (the inside of it, of course!) but the 2012 Golf's outer panel/skin is welded on. Can I simply buy a rivet gun and break out/reinstall the rivets for the middle section plastic molded piece to be able to get at the outer panel's inside? I mean, how else can you access it? My rear door's mid-bass drivers, when the bass is way up, rattles the outer panel significantly.

take a look at the diyma thread he linked above, stuartb walked through his process of taking the inner door frame off to get at the door skin. but yes, you will need a rivet gun with some large rivets.

P

plac

I'll try the test in the near future to see for sure whether or not the speaker is hitting the door card, but I can say that I can have the bass way up and those front woofers do not distort or have any audible problems. The rear mid-bass woofers are fine, of course, since there's no bracket forcing them to be mounted forward (I have an active 3-way subless setup). I just have a 1/2" spacer for them.

are the outer door skins not removable on the MK6 anymore? I removed them on my MK5.

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed

like said above, you should still be able to remote outter door skin on a MK6?

so on your system, you have a midbass upfront 6.5" a tweeter, and another 6.5" in the back door location (or back panel if its a 2 door)?

what freqs is each one playing? i just wasnt sure wht you mean by

"The rear mid-bass woofers are fine, of course, since there's no bracket forcing them to be mounted forward (I have an active 3-way subless setup). I just have a 1/2" spacer for them."

remeolb

This seemed to work well for me. To my knowledge the driver is not hitting the door panel. Maybe I should pull the it off and find out! Driver is a Morel Elate SW 6. I believe the spacer is 3/4" and the driver mounting depth is 2.44". The car is a 2010 GTI 2-door.

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
a 3/4" spacer is fine. if the illusions have not been out, the morel would have been my choice for this car, as they are shallower than most other midbasses. I am a Morel dealer and Morel is perhaps my favorite line of speakers.

of course, the Illusion driver, whcih IMO is similar to the elate SW6 for midbass performance is much cheaper, infact the MSRP of the SW6 (new model just released) is only a coupla hundred dollars away from the MSRP of the entire C6 comp set. :)

however, most of the other high end midbass drivers i can offer would have a bigger issue, seas lotus reference, focal k2p, arc audio black, audible physics arian, etc. they are prolly in the end fitable, but requires trimming and a lot of work, but with a shallower driver, its a sure thing.

the other driver i can think of that would prolly fit fine is the Focal Utopia Be 6w3...but thats on a whole nother price point :)

b

simplicityinsound

Passed Driver's Ed
btw, easiest way to test if you are hitting is to either use chalk powder or baby powder, and put it all over ghe inside of the door card, and then put the door back on, play some songs at loud volume, and then pull the door panel off and see if any powder residue is left on any part of the speaker itself.

usually, you cannot hear it, because when you are playing it loud enough the surround is touching, it masks any other subtle noise. a test tone could reveal it...this rubbing may be fine short term, but it also can cuase the driver to die sooner over a long period of time as the coil may not be traveling linearly...

but for me, its a simple matter of principle, i am not going to give a car back to a customer if the driver surround is hitting. :)

b

locaelite

Thanks for posting the log B. I'll post some pictures over the labor day weekend.

1st SQ win. Let me know when there are more competitions and Gus, the GTI will be there :)

Not sure if posting sound clips will do these badboys justice. Gotta hear em to fully enjoy them.

If anyone has any questions about these amazing illusion and mosconi products, feel free to shoot them my way.

quick run down:
- I was fine giving up my spare tire
- Sound quality was a must
- didn't wanna raise my floor
- again, wanted a simple and clean build. Hence going with Simplicity in Sound and Bing.
- had to retain the stock head unit for the time being to keep sirius and nav.